Shenmue Physical Collector's Edition?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue Physical Collector's Edition?

Postby Telekill » Thu May 25, 2017 10:30 am

This is an speculative thread where you have to envision/imagine that both a Shenmue HD Collection and Shenmue 3 are released in physical form and that there is a collector's edition that will be available at launch.

So we all know that many great collector's items were and are available via the Kickstarter and Slacker Backer campaign. Many of those items were either spoken for early and/or way overpriced. Obviously, it wasn't about the items but more so about backing Shenmue 3 and ensuring that the game was funded.

That out of the way, assuming that there is a limited run physical collector's edition for one or both of these hypothetical releases, what would you want included in a collector's edition of Shenmue HD Collection and Shenmue 3 assuming both get a collector's edition? Lastly, if this were to happen, (assuming you already backed Shenmue 3 and are getting a backer's edition) would you be willing to buy it again for the umpteenth time?

If both were happening as limited run physical collector's editions here is what I would want:

Shenmue HD Collection -
- Steelbook Case
- Ryo Hazuki figure (6-10" and nicely detailed)
- Phoenix Mirror replica
- A proper "Art of" book; not some lame 10 page one
- Behind the scenes making the first two games Blu-ray

Shenmue 3 -
- Steelbook Case
- Shenhua figure (height respective to above Ryo figure)
- Dragon Mirror replica
- A proper "Art of" book regarding just the third game
- Behind the scenes and making the third game happen history Bluray

I'm pretty easy to please. If they were to release these, I would hope they wouldn't be more than $120 or so.

I'm honestly not sure I could convince myself to spend another $100+ on Shenmue 3, but I would definitely get the Shenmue HD Collection if it came with all of that.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Re: Shenmue Physical Collector's Edition?

Postby Himuro » Thu May 25, 2017 4:31 pm

The only collectors editions I would ever give a fuck about.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby khmlight3 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:26 am

I don't want Limited Run Games doing them Sega can pulish Shenmue I and II HD and YS Net will publish Shenmue III YS Net confirmed that Shenmue III is coming to retail so thats good news! I prefer retail more then Limited Run Games!
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Telekill » Fri May 26, 2017 9:36 am

khmlight3 wrote: I don't want Limited Run Games doing them Sega can pulish Shenmue I and II HD and YS Net will publish Shenmue III YS Net confirmed that Shenmue III is coming to retail so thats good news! I prefer retail more then Limited Run Games!

.... Limited run being the collector's edition. The physical release would continue in retail the same time frame as any other release.

Telekill has received a thanks from: khmlight3
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KidMarine » Fri May 26, 2017 10:52 am

BUY MULTIPLE COPIES AT LAUNCH IF YOU WANT A SHENMUE IV. THIS CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH.

KidMarine has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Spaghetti
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Telekill » Fri May 26, 2017 11:10 am

KidMarine wrote: BUY MULTIPLE COPIES AT LAUNCH IF YOU WANT A SHENMUE IV. THIS CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH.

I know many on this forum are planning to buy multiple copies but not all of us have that kind of expendable cash flow. I think it's a bit unrealistic and kind of mean to ask all fans of the series to buy multiple copies via guilt trips that it's their fault if Shenmue 4 is never made because they didn't buy 2 or more copies of the third game.

I loved Shenmue 1 and 2 and was happy to put in $113 on the Shenmue 3 crowd funding to be part of resurrecting the franchise. That essentially was me buying a "collector's edition" of the game and I am tapped out until Shenmue HD or Shenmue 4 are announced. Make no mistake, I feel Shenmue 3 will be successful enough on its own merit to warrant a 4th and final game in the series. If it's another crowd funding cause, I will participate.

Telekill has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sat May 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Fans buying multiple copies won't save the series. It'll help boost numbers a little, don't get me wrong, but it won't be enough.

The real aim should be outreach and getting people interested in Shenmue. Promotion for III will do most of the work (HD remasters too, if they happen), but the fan community has to do their part to positively push the series where we can as a grassroots approach. The vast majority of my posts on GAF these days are to try and do this, barring the times where I correct inaccuracies and misconceptions about III and the series at large.

That said, I don't think this is as much of an uphill fight as it could be. Shenmue III is the first time ever the series has launched on not one, but two successful platforms. The sheer value of these install bases should help push sales through pure statistics. The series has a higher profile than... well, ever. The market has also shown that Shenmue-like games can carve out a very successful niche for themselves (see: Life is Strange selling over 3 million copies), and that gamers are more accepting of alternative experiences as mainstream big games edge towards boring monotony and homogeneity.

As long as III is good, offers something unique, and we do our part to push the series; I think we can at least put Shenmue III in a position to sell well.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Sony should promote the game as it deserves. If S3 is going to be launched in december, this E3 is crucial.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Himuro » Sat May 27, 2017 4:28 pm

KidMarine wrote: BUY MULTIPLE COPIES AT LAUNCH IF YOU WANT A SHENMUE IV. THIS CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH.

Will giving them out as gifts to non-fans.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Return to Shenmue III