Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Postby Jesse » Mon May 29, 2017 9:17 am

When I first saw the character I immediately thought of Street Fighter IV as others have stated. I sorta wish that there wasn't any update or atleast that the update wasn't this lackluster. Granted if they didn't the E3 hype train would've been in overdrive. I'm not too much of a fan of the model but I only really care about how Ryo looks. As long as they nail the main cast then I'll be fine.

Reflecting about them no showing at PSX last year I figured with a extra 6 months we would have atleast gotten a trailer at E3 if the game was still on schedule. Or a updated Ryo model.

Oh well even more intrigued when and what the next update will be hopefully it'll be something more substantial. On a future update I would enjoy it if they talked about their weather system and showed that off.

I Also expect the character to look better in the final build with the game firing on all cylinders.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby ianpm31 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:28 am

The game was never going to come out in Dec 2017. That's way too unrealistic and I kept saying Yu-san had to be a magician to make that happen. The character model looks pretty good to me especially giving us a good idea how the shenmue world will translate onto unreal 4 engine.

Hopefully the Sega/atlus rumor is true that we get Shenmue HD collection this year while S3 gets delayed to next year and that's okay with me.
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Valascaziel » Mon May 29, 2017 9:36 am

Sigh.

So the biggest trade show for gaming is coming up, they aren't showing, and still expect us to believe the game is on schedule for release in 6-7 months? Pish-posh.

It's been two years and we still have yet to see anything of considerable substance. Random NPC looks good, but after all this time, I would have liked to see what Ryo was going to look like. Hell, even Shenhua.

Am I irritated? Yes, but for a couple of reasons--you cannot chuck out little updates(58 seconds, really?) and expect people to lap it up as substantial every single time.

Be honest with your backers--if it's not going as smoothly as you wanted, man up and say something, grow a pair and announce the delay and the reasons for it. Honesty goes a long way and it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Constantly saying you're on schedule when we get very little on updates and no-shows at big conventions isn't helping.

What did Peter actually see? Did he see this game in motion or rather, maybe a target demo passed off as footage? These lack of updates since that time he saw this has me paranoid and wondering.

Peter, not trying to step on your toes. I hope what I said here comes across right..like...were they honest in what they showed you?
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Mon May 29, 2017 10:14 am

Valascaziel wrote:Peter, not trying to step on your toes. I hope what I said here comes across right..like...were they honest in what they showed you?

I think we should stop and breath for a second.

Do you have an idea of what a game should look like in order to make an appearance with a positive impact on a floor like the E3?

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Those are both AAA games.

Shenmue 3 isn't but I bet the average gamer just aware that "Shenmue 3 is being funded by Sony and all the Kickstarter thing is just a smokescreen" expects Shenmue 3 to look like a AAA game.

How much efforts should the team put into it in order to have something "polished enough" for E3?

Maybe it's better this way, with YsNet fully focused on the development.
Even if that means we'll have to wait a few more month before we get a proper trailer.

If the game gets eventually delayed and comes out after June 2018, there's still an opportunity to benefit from E3 stage.
Moreover, don't forget TGS and PSX 2017 editions.

We can trust what Peter saw and I'm convinced they were honest with what they decided to show to the dinner backers.

The thing is, game development is not a long, quiet river.

"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time."
— Tom Cargill, Bell Labs
Last edited by Kiske on Mon May 29, 2017 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, SheepheadCG
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Mon May 29, 2017 10:15 am

Finally Peter was right. His insider just forgot to say him the correct year.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:18 am

I honestly didn't even notice the E3 news in the update until after the fact lol.

Since I had no expectation of it being there anyway (as I keep saying, best to keep expectations low until they have something substantial to show us imo,) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I'm weird. I never expected a truly worthy Shenmue sequel to get pumped out in just two years - that seems like an incredibly short development cycle for what they're aspiring to make imo. I know "big" games get developed in that kind of window all the time, but... call me crazy, I just never saw that being the case here.

As always, I'm more than happy to wait as long as it takes.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon May 29, 2017 10:23 am

Just have trouble believing they're anywhere near where they need to be if a rough character model of a character no one knows or cares about is the only bone they can throw at us. The proportions are ridiculous, but I'm not concerned about that.

Not a look at an environment, a street, a fight sequence? I don't think they needed to carefully craft a trailer to capture some of that, but I guess it's better to remain optimistic. Still, it's time to be honest about a production delay, unless their strategy is to keep the game a complete secret until release day.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby SheepheadCG » Mon May 29, 2017 10:37 am

Kiske wrote: How much efforts should the team put into it in order to have something "polished enough" for E3?

Such a valid point here! I am a backer of Star Citizen as well, and they said this exact sentence in regards to last years E3.

In short they said that Dev's take a copy of their current Dev Branch of the game, and spend about a month adding to/removing things from it just to have something to show off at E3. This causes a lot of problems and Chris Roberts (main Star Citizen guy;) said it wastes a lot of time, as it doesn't have anything to do with the actual development of the game.
When they are creating a Demo for E3 they spend time scripting a lot of the scenes and creating specific lighting for everything to look good.
These things will not be used in the final game and they decided it would be better use of their time to just continue development and show something "real" when it is ready.

If you think about it, this will aid the development of the game (which is great) but I also do feel a bit sad that it is going to miss out on all of those eyes on at E3. I would be extremely happy if it was delayed long enough to be at next years E3, which I believe it will :D!

SheepheadCG has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, FlagshipFighter, Kiske
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon May 29, 2017 10:44 am

But I also see how showing things too early can attract needless negative feedback, so I understand there's a balance. Still, it's time to admit the game is a while away if that's the case.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby John Doom » Mon May 29, 2017 11:19 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
Kiske wrote: I'm going to say here the same exact thing I said in the Kickstarter updates comments section.

PS: The new character embedded in a Shenmue 3 environment gives me the chill...

That looks so weird... I'm also having chills but probably not the right kind. Can anyone with photoshop skills try to tone down the muscle mass of the 3D model to match the concept art a bit more?

I can tell you for experience that the reason his arms look off is not because they messed up the proportions, those are fine, but probably because the character is not fully rigged yet. Basically, his arms are not really bigger than in the concept art, they're actually twisted, slightly rotated. As I said, they're still working on it (in fact they actually said in the video that they're working on checking his rigging). Don't worry, they'll look fine in the end :)
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Centrale » Mon May 29, 2017 11:44 am

To me the shaders look like they're well on their way to being done. The lighting is kind of generic mid-day lighting, though, so I expect in game we'll see more dramatic types of lighting and a more saturated color balance.

Who do you all think this character is? Friend or foe? A street fighter? A boss? Someone who'll teach Ryo a new move? I think his smiling face might be friendly... or he might be a sadistic sociopath. :-k
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Esppiral » Mon May 29, 2017 12:39 pm

My concern about character models has rised to the moon since this:

To me it looks like a doll taken from this

wich to be honest looks disgusting to me
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Technophilz » Mon May 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Esppiral wrote: My concern about character models has rised to the moon since this:

Everything since AJ's horrible Kickstarter campaign looked cheap. It's obvious that the Shenmue we all knew and loved is dead, we're not even getting the whole story with S3, and probably we'll never do.
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Centrale » Mon May 29, 2017 12:56 pm

It's such a departure from the photorealistic style we all remember. :roll:

Centrale has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, Mystere
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Esppiral wrote: My concern about character models has rised to the moon since this:

It's an incredibly faithful rendering of the character design, so I don't really get the complaint about the model itself.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III