Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:31 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:
So, Tekken 7 is using UE4. How do you guys think the models in Tekken 7 compare to this guy?

Different styles. Just because they're using the same engine doesn't mean they'll look similar or should be compared. You know what else is using UE4? Street Fighter V, Dragon Quest XI, Summer Lesson, Neptunia: Four Goddesses Online, Days Gone.

All of these look completely different despite being on the same engine.

I understand that, but I think it's a good basis to compare whether or not the art style we see is at the level of other games using UE4. I think people should be realistic about the game not looking like 15-year-old Dreamcast game and set their expectations to a certain level. The Shenmue bad guy model doesn't look too far off from what I'm seeing in the Tekken 7 and SF shots.
Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:33 am

And we have seen from the textures being used on the likes of the interior of Shenhuas home, to the warehouse door where there seems to be an arcade that it does indeed look like Shenmue. This latest update seems to make people forget all the great stuff we have seen over the past year and a half (no I am not disregarding the negative stuff either, don't shoot me. Just being a happy bastard ya know).
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby John Doom » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:45 am

mjq jazz bar wrote:I understand that, but I think it's a good basis to compare whether or not the art style we see is at the level of other games using UE4. I think people should be realistic about the game not looking like 15-year-old Dreamcast game and set their expectations to a certain level.

:-k I don't want to be picky, but you mean quality level, then, not art style. For example, every Dragon Quest game tried to emulate Toriyama's art style onw way or another, but their assets' quality level has improved over the years.
Quality level and art style are very different [-( :D
Last edited by John Doom on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:46 am

Sure.

Textures, lighting, proportions, whatever. I just thought it'd be interesting to see other games that use the same engine and compare what we have so far to those.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 am

I want to play the game of the girl with the cellphone, what is it ?

The model doesn't look like that because of the engine.

I do think that having a more realistic shader would be extremely weird for a guy with those facial features though.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby John Doom » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:54 am

It should be "Summer Lesson". Harada talked about it with Suzuki: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... rview.html
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:03 pm

shredingskin wrote: I want to play the game of the girl with the cellphone, what is it ?

The model doesn't look like that because of the engine.

I do think that having a more realistic shader would be extremely weird for a guy with those facial features though.

That's fair.

I still think it's worth looking at other UE4 games as we set expectations around here for what is and isn't possible graphically.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Pretty much the only thing that lacks UE is realtime GI, and looking at the unity implementation, it's for the best (also just baking a scene in unreal).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Gastarot » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:

i really like your exemples Rikitatsu ! in particulary the modeling and the render of summer lesson, it's soft and warm.
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Suzuki Yu wrote:
Shenmue_Trilogy wrote: Here is the older version of this guy with higher forehead. This is just a paint job in 30sec....

dude, he is still waaaay too serious and bold.
this goes completely against the original concept of the character that they are trying to craft.

The problem is some people just only see the different style but don't realize whats makes the original face looks so unatural. Ok perhaps they like this unnatural look.

explain to me how the approach with this design is considered far away from the new character design?

Simple: Its the combination of cartoony face features (who reminds me of joker) but also the lack of defined textures, shaders and natural/good lighting. For exmaple: Look at the eyeballs. they are pure white. The same problem had Mass Effect Andromeda:

But lets wait and see how and if they improve the character design.

Rikitatsu wrote:
Shenmue_Trilogy wrote:

Original:

I really hope this is by FAR not the final design because after two years to see this kind of character design is disappointing for me :(

Sorry mate, you sucked all the character from that model with that Photoshop.

I made the faces in 5minutes using paint! LOL :lol: ..... still better as the face design from the original character :P
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby Suzuki Yu » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Shenmue_Trilogy wrote:
Suzuki Yu wrote:
explain to me how the approach with this design is considered far away from the new character design?

Simple: Its the combination of cartoony face features (who reminds me of joker) but also the lack of defined textures, shaders and natural/good lighting. For exmaple: Look at the eyeballs. they are pure white. The same problem had Mass Effect Andromeda:

But lets wait and see how and if they improve the character design.

lack of defined textures, shaders?
i think we all know this is an unfinished model, small touches like this is expected as well as facial expressions and hair animations.
but is it far from complete? is it an amateur work? hell no, this is a great base model done amazingly well from someone clearly is a professional and know what he is doing.
as a mater of fact he even manages to impress me more than the work I've seen from other modelers in a freaking fighting game called street fighter 5. and that's alone telling a lot of how good he is.
aside from how he perfectly captured the original artwork in 3D (which is not an easy job at all) i was amazed by how he treated every individual part of the character's body with it's own animations! other neat touches I've noticed like how he carefully animated the hair tufts (you can notice this from side view) and the metallic reflections from clothing is also applied.
this is a really really great model work for an Adventure/RPG game! and way more than i ever wanted from a kickstarter project. i never thought we would get this level of detail & care given the tight budget/development scale of this project. it's very promising and encouraging i would say.

about the natural/good lighting being applied?
i think some of the members already mentioned that this is a model test tool environment, of course it's not applied.
wait for the model to be captured within the game environment.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:33 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:
So, Tekken 7 is using UE4. How do you guys think the models in Tekken 7 compare to this guy?

Different styles. Just because they're using the same engine doesn't mean they'll look similar or should be compared. You know what else is using UE4? Street Fighter V, Dragon Quest XI, Summer Lesson, Neptunia: Four Goddesses Online, Days Gone.

I understand that, but I think it's a good basis to compare whether or not the art style we see is at the level of other games using UE4. I think people should be realistic about the game not looking like 15-year-old Dreamcast game and set their expectations to a certain level. The Shenmue bad guy model doesn't look too far off from what I'm seeing in the Tekken 7 and SF shots.

I believe that's the problem. Most people expected​ to at least look as good as the DC games...

That summer lesson game looks good.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Suzuki Yu » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:15 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:

I believe that's the problem. Most people expected​ to at least look as good as the DC games...

That summer lesson game looks good.

doesn't look as good as the DC games?!

those models look better? in what world?

regarding Summer Lesson

this is how it looks in motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBHauh-Vy24

aside from the good facial expressions (which is not applied yet in the SIII Model) very very basic stuff in comparison even though it's a very small game.

Suzuki Yu has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:38 pm

This world, the body proportions and facial details look better in my opinion despite low polys and res. Regardless, they will eventually have to release non photoshoped screenshots of familiar characters which will be better for comparison.

For the record, I'm not saying the current forearms dude and the european ryo won't be able to surpass even the best DC models... but at the moment, I take the original shenmue 3D work.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gastarot » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:04 pm

I want close the polemic of the new character modeling face by , the example of Shenmue_Trilogy was to much and I think he dream to much to give a tornado kick at Lan Di face hahaha to serious face hahaha..

Anyway the true problem is Ryo Hazuki face, we actually don't have update about this and it's why some people's are worry trough some examples . I think it's time to show Ryo, and the best climax for showing Ryo it's trough a official trailer. Wait and see! (but please not to long for this because we don't want see some fans making trouble with fake photoshop or paint "artworks" )

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Previous

Return to Shenmue III