Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Postby Technophilz » Mon May 29, 2017 5:10 am

a 58 seconds video, no E3 ,no 2017 release, and that bad logo being used again and again... and you call that an update?!!
With Mighty No.9, Armikrog, Yooka-Laylee, .. and now Shenmue 3, It looks like Kickstarter might end up being the graveyard of some of the greatest games series ever ...

Technophilz has received a thanks from: gillian_seed
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby JohnBlack » Mon May 29, 2017 5:28 am

Technophilz wrote: a 58 seconds video, no E3 ,no 2017 release, and that bad logo being used again and again... and you call that an update?!!
With Mighty No.9, Armikrog, Yooka-Laylee, .. and now Shenmue 3, It looks like Kickstarter might end up being the graveyard of some of the greatest games series ever ...

Yooka-Laylee is good actually.

JohnBlack has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
JohnBlack

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Technophilz » Mon May 29, 2017 5:35 am

JohnBlack wrote:Yooka-Laylee is good actually.

It's way way inferior to Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie ...
Technophilz

Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon May 29, 2017 5:35 am

SegaMon wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
SegaMon wrote:And, wow, that is such a boring and disappointing way to say that Shenmue 3 will not be at E3...

Yeah, they should've had pyjama guy wobble into the office on a unicycle while juggling neon-painted hamsters to the Munsters theme as the words "No E3!!!!!!!" flashed on screen repeatedly.

...no. I was only referring to how it was said. Most of us have been looking forward to E3 because of the strong possibility of Shenmue 3 making an appearance yet E3 was not even mentioned by name. It made what was said sound devoid of emotion and it disappointed me. I was only mentioning that because it was how it made me feel. You mocking me is not constructive.

If they'd said "we will not be at E3" then this thread would be full of debate over whether Sony's pre-E3 press conference technically counts as E3 or if it was clever wording used to throw us off the scent.

And I only mocked your post because of how it made me feel. Lighten up. :)

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: BlackHeaven
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby ShenSun » Mon May 29, 2017 6:01 am

Ahhh, our E3 dreams crushed again :(

There's no way this game is coming out in December.

Personally, I don't like the new character model. it reminds me of Overwatch, which i love, but i guess i wanted something similar to the Yakuza models for Shenmue 3.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: darksniper
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby John Doom » Mon May 29, 2017 6:16 am

Yeah, I agree there's little chances it will be released on schedule, based on the fact they're not going to E3, but I'm glad they told us before it. Sure, it's a bit disappointing, but I trust Ys Net are already doing their best. I just want Suzuki to make SIII the best he can, so he'll be finally able to go back to AAA development in the future.
About the new character, don't forget that Shenmue, just like Yakuza, was never about very realistic characters: they always were stylized and that's why they still hold up today. If anything, :D I think it looked too "plastic", like an action figure, but we shouldn't worry about it because they're clearly still working on it :)
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby gillian_seed » Mon May 29, 2017 6:43 am

I put a lot of money on this KS (as much as I could afford), but what I've seen till now looks really disappointing for me. I'm really excited to get the game I've waited for 16 years, but I can't be optimistic at the current state of the project :cry:
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon May 29, 2017 6:44 am

Here some muscular dudes for comparison:
Image Image

In some cases it looks like a body suit due to hardware limitations but you can see they put enough attention to keep body proportions believable.

Regarding if the Shenmue look can be done without SEGA support... well, what SEGA? Yakuza looks good and they would probably do a good job but Shenmue's character models are classic AM2 Virtua Fighter stuff. You can pretty much put every VF4 character model in Shenmue II and it wouldn't look out of place.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Mon May 29, 2017 6:46 am

Technophilz wrote: a 58 seconds video, no E3 ,no 2017 release, and that bad logo being used again and again... and you call that an update?!!

Oh well, if Kickstarter loses its charm amongst gamers (as is already happening) then we can at least take pride in the fact that no one will ever be able to beat Shenmue 3's crowdfunding record. :P

As for Shenmue 3 itself, I still trust Yu Suzuki to make the best game possible. Shenmue 3 already has a head start thanks to all the original pre-production work that was done in the late 90s.

Mighty No. 9, Armikrog and Yooka-Laylee were all knock-offs trying and failing the recapture the magic of the originals. Shenmue 3 though, this is the real deal; a true sequel to Shenmue 1 and 2 using all the existing characters and concepts with Sega's permission.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby The_Intruder » Mon May 29, 2017 6:58 am

I really like the new character design. He looks strong and tough. Since Shenmue III is not going to shown at E3, maybe TGS.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby fittersau » Mon May 29, 2017 7:02 am

ShenSun wrote: Ahhh, our E3 dreams crushed again :(

There's no way this game is coming out in December.

Personally, I don't like the new character model. it reminds me of Overwatch, which i love, but i guess i wanted something similar to the Yakuza models for Shenmue 3.

I even took time off work to watch the streams! :D

Nope, the game isn't coming out this year and for good reason, the game needs time to get better and fully developed.

I love the new character, the muscle modelling & rigging shows they actually have some good talent working for them. The way he's built, it looks like he is a possible mini-boss. For me this clears any concerns I have with the final models of Ryo, Shenhua and any others we'll see.

A small but very good update. =D>

fittersau has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Mon May 29, 2017 7:08 am

Ziming wrote: This character design reminds me of that Bloodsport actor Bolo Yeung.

Nice pick up. Looks quite a like!
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenhaZ » Mon May 29, 2017 7:09 am

Ys Net just killed the hype.

I understand that their recources is limited, but why to show this unfinished model with draft animations when everyone is waiting a new trailer from them? At least make a teaser, god dammit!
shenhaZ
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Lucky Hit

Postby fittersau » Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 am

ShenGCH wrote: The character art style sits somewhere between plasticine and softly cartoony in my eyes. Must admit I gave the model a disapproving look upon first viewing, but I'm definitely warming to it now. The detail is excellent, the structure and composition is nice and substantial, and the look is very clean.

The detail is excellent, the poses the model goes through can show a lot of problems if the model geometry isn't set up correctly with the bones, so when the character goes through the range of flexing and nothing juts out it shows they have set this model up very well. It bodes well for when we finally see Ryo.

fittersau has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KidMarine » Mon May 29, 2017 7:13 am

1 - It's a shame about E3, and we're almost certain to see a delay, but I'll live.

2 - Very surprised to see some people complaining about the model. The skin texturing obviously isn't done, resulting in a plastic/cartoon look, but besides that it looks great. It's actually soothed some of the worries I have about the way the game will look.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III