YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Postby Telekill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:52 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Telekill wrote:Well, it really goes to a choice of two events; PSX 2017 or E3 2018. If they are still planning on a reveal trailer at a large show, it will be one of those unless there is another delay (hope not as 3 years is a painfully long wait as is). Assuming it comes out fall or winter of next year, those are our only two options.

My bet goes for a smattering of info and small leaks like we've had with Kickstarter backer updates followed by a proper reveal trailer for the masses at E3 2018 with a firm 2018 announcement date. That's my guess.

The only problem I see with this, is the backer demo. I think (hope?) we'll be getting it by the end of the year. They'd have to do some kind of reveal before they release that.

Maybe they could do a smaller trailer focused mainly on Bailu village and the content of the backer demo, and save the big, bombastic full reveal for later. Or they could just drop the backer demo without a trailer, which would be an interesting and mysterious way to do it. Let the demo itself be the first reveal.

Oh, I don't expect the backer demo before summer 2018 and it WILL be very small. I don't recall there ever being a playable demo of a Shenmue game as it's simply not that type of game. I expect the demo to be incredibly small; maybe only a small portion of a town (a couple blocks) with a couple mini games and a fight scene.

While I'll download the demo and burn it to DVD for safe keeping, I doubt that I'll actually attempt to play it. For starters my PC is about as powerful as an Xbox 360 (if that) and I don't want to spoil anything for when I play the full version on PS4.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:53 am

Just like everyone else, this comes as no surprise at all. December 2017 seemed like way too soon to release a proper Shenmue game, so I'm actually glad they'll be spending longer on development instead of just rushing out a half-baked game and say "Here you go, the story has continued, see!"

Also, by December 2017 I should be on a very long backpacking trip in Asia, with no date to return. I've always thought that having Shenmue 3 at home waiting for me would be something of a distraction, but now I won't even have to worry about that. Now I really expect I won't be returning for quite a long time, then... :D
Last edited by O Rei do Frango Assado on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:54 am

Telekill wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Telekill wrote:Well, it really goes to a choice of two events; PSX 2017 or E3 2018. If they are still planning on a reveal trailer at a large show, it will be one of those unless there is another delay (hope not as 3 years is a painfully long wait as is). Assuming it comes out fall or winter of next year, those are our only two options.

My bet goes for a smattering of info and small leaks like we've had with Kickstarter backer updates followed by a proper reveal trailer for the masses at E3 2018 with a firm 2018 announcement date. That's my guess.

The only problem I see with this, is the backer demo. I think (hope?) we'll be getting it by the end of the year. They'd have to do some kind of reveal before they release that.

Maybe they could do a smaller trailer focused mainly on Bailu village and the content of the backer demo, and save the big, bombastic full reveal for later. Or they could just drop the backer demo without a trailer, which would be an interesting and mysterious way to do it. Let the demo itself be the first reveal.

Oh, I don't expect the backer demo before summer 2018 and it WILL be very small. I don't recall there ever being a playable demo of a Shenmue game as it's simply not that type of game.

Already forgot about what's shenmue?

south carmain has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Technophilz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:56 am

Yokosuka wrote:

Trust will be important for Suzuki's next projects (including Shenmue 4)

Don't get your hopes up for a 4th Shenmue...

Shenmue 3 had an amazing announcement back at E3 two years ago, but since then it was nothing but a disaster in almost every aspect, contrary to what we (the diehard fans) are trying to convince themselves with.

The Shenmue 3 project (probably due to budget constraints) has been left in the hands of noobs from the very beginning, it started with a horrible Kickstarter/marketing campaign done by AJ, then it has been turned into a guinea pig in the hands of noob mostly-unknown developers with almost no real experience whatsoever, and consequently, Shenmue 3 project is currently being used to "learn" how to use UE4 techniques and modern development tools. Even Suzuki-san hasn't made a console game since 2003's Outrun 2 on the first Xbox, and as you may (or may not) know, game development has gone a very looooooong way since.

Finally, "if" the game is released by the end of 2018 as promised (and that's a very big IF), UE4 technology will probably be outdated, especially that those new-learners won't be able to get the most out of UE4 anyways; Moreover, by the end of 2018, PS4 will be at the end of its life-cycle, and PS5 would have already been announced and even released, which will make Shenmue 3 look/feel already outdated, and I won't discuss the option of moving the Shenmue 3 project to PS5 because that will also be an even worse disaster...

Shenmue I & II were majestic games, beautifully realised through the state-of-the-art techniques of their time, and despite some gameplay hiccups here and there, both games were fantastically mind blowing journeys. I don't think any budget indie title can live up to the legacy of Shenmue I & II, and that will ultimately affect the future of the series, or what's left of it anyways...

The only thing I can think of to bring some light to the end of Shenmue 3's dark tunnel is some big company to step in and properly fund/manage the project, which hasn't happened in 14 years and looks highly unlikely to happen now.

So again, don't get your hopes up for a 4th Shenmue ....
Last edited by Technophilz on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Telekill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:56 am

south carmain wrote:

What's Shenmue was a video explaining portions of the game wasn't it? Didn't that come with one of the first issues of the Official Dreamcast Magazine; a video CD showcasing Shenmue?
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:57 am

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/08/she ... half-2018/

Good article. Wish more were written this way.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:58 am

Technophilz wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

Shenmue 3 had an amazing announcement back at E3 two years ago, but since then it was nothing but a disaster in almost every aspect, contrary to what we (the diehard fans) are trying to convince themselves with.

The Shenmue 3 project (probably due to budget constraints) has been left in the hands of noobs from the very beginning, it started with a horrible Kickstarter/marketing campaign done by AJ, then it has been turned into a guinea pig in the hands of noob mostly-unknown developers with almost no real experience whatsoever, and consequently, Shenmue 3 project is currently being used to "learn" how to use UE4 techniques and modern development tools. Even Suzuki-san hasn't made a console game since 2003's Outrun 2 on the first Xbox, and as you may (or may not) know, game development has gone a very looooooong way since.

Finally, "if" the game is released by the end of 2018 as promised (and that's a very big IF), UE4 technology will probably be outdated, especially that those new-learners won't be able to get the most out of UE4 anyways; Moreover, by the end of 2018, PS4 will be at the end of its life-cycle, and PS5 would have already been announced and even released, which will make Shenmue 3 look/feel already outdated, and I won't discuss the option of moving the Shenmue 3 project to PS5 because that will also be an even worse disaster...

Shenmue I & II were majestic games, beautifully realised through the state-of-the-art techniques of their time, and despite some gameplay hiccups here and there, both games were fantastically mind blowing journeys. I don't think any budget indie title can live up to the legacy of Shenmue I & II, and that will ultimately affect the future of the series, or what's left of it anyways...

The only thing I can think of to bring some light to the end of the Shenmue 3's dark tunnel is some big company to step in and properly fund the project, which hasn't happened in 14 years and looks highly unlikely to happen now.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind based on conjecture.

You have no way of knowing any of this is true, but you sure act like it.

Well, hopefully you're wrong. I think you will be. =D>

mjq jazz bar has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, Spaghetti
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 am

Telekill wrote:
south carmain wrote:

What's Shenmue was a video explaining portions of the game wasn't it? Didn't that come with one of the first issues of the Official Dreamcast Magazine; a video CD showcasing Shenmue?

Nope, What's Shenmue was Japanese Playable Demo which was given to players who pre-ordered Shenmue (was later given away with Famitsu).
From the wiki:

"What's Shenmue introduces the main characters and details what the game is about, before allowing the player to control the protagonist of the series, Ryo, around a portion of Dobuita. The ultimate aim of What's Shenmue is to find the then senior managing director of Sega, Hidekazu Yukawa. Once found, Ryo needs to chase him down the street in a series of quick time events, then defend him from a gang of "thugs" (before Hidekazu Yukawa wakes up in a room filled with unsold Dreamcasts to find it was all a dream)."

Full Playthrough from Adam Koriaik:
phpBB [video]
Last edited by SheepheadCG on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SheepheadCG has received 2 thanks from: south carmain, Telekill
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Telekill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:02 am

Technophilz wrote:

The Shenmue 3 project (probably due to budget constraints) has been left in the hands of noobs from the very beginning, it started with a horrible Kickstarter/marketing campaign done by AJ, then it has been turned into a guinea pig in the hands of noob mostly-unknown developers with almost no real experience whatsoever, and consequently, Shenmue 3 project is currently being used to "learn" how to use UE4 techniques and modern development tools.

Where are you getting this info or view? Shenmue 3 has been probably one of the better Kickstarter games I've seen and/or heard of given the communication of the team to the backers alone. Most people were anticipating a delay regardless that hopes tugged at the heart strings for the 2017 release. Also, Suzuki and his team are not noobs. They may have some newer developers added to the team of seasoned vets but saying that someone is a noob is to show disrespect and no one needs to be disrespected that is working on this title.

The biggest disaster in Shenmue history was that Sega decided not to release Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast in N. America. Shenmue 3 happening doesn't fit that bill.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:03 am

Telekill wrote:
Technophilz wrote:

The Shenmue 3 project (probably due to budget constraints) has been left in the hands of noobs from the very beginning, it started with a horrible Kickstarter/marketing campaign done by AJ, then it has been turned into a guinea pig in the hands of noob mostly-unknown developers with almost no real experience whatsoever, and consequently, Shenmue 3 project is currently being used to "learn" how to use UE4 techniques and modern development tools.

Where are you getting this info or view? Shenmue 3 has been probably one of the better Kickstarter games I've seen and/or heard of given the communication of the team to the backers alone. Most people were anticipating a delay regardless that hopes tugged at the heart strings for the 2017 release. Also, Suzuki and his team are not noobs. They may have some newer developers added to the team of seasoned vets but saying that someone is a noob is to show disrespect and no one needs to be disrespected that is working on this title.

The biggest disaster in Shenmue history was that Sega decided not to release Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast in N. America. Shenmue 3 happening doesn't fit that bill.

Someone on the forum mistakenly thought a fan who'd just graduated from a school in Orlando, Florida, was one of the key members of the team and somehow that idea is still floating around the forum.

Cuz all I know is they're only hiring experienced developers/modelers according to their job resume requirements, and everyone they've publicly shown working on the game is experienced in some capacity, either with Shenmue itself or game design.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Telekill
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:05 am

Telekill wrote:Oh, I don't expect the backer demo before summer 2018 and it WILL be very small. I don't recall there ever being a playable demo of a Shenmue game as it's simply not that type of game. I expect the demo to be incredibly small; maybe only a small portion of a town (a couple blocks) with a couple mini games and a fight scene.

While I'll download the demo and burn it to DVD for safe keeping, I doubt that I'll actually attempt to play it. For starters my PC is about as powerful as an Xbox 360 (if that) and I don't want to spoil anything for when I play the full version on PS4.

Somewhere, What's Shenmue is crying in a corner.

But really, I think they may get the demo out for December if only to get some consumer feedback while they've still got 6+ months on the clock. We'll see how it pans out, but it'd be great if we got our hands on Shenmue III in some small capacity this year.

Actually, I'm keeping my fingers crossed it'll be one of the details covered in the update later this month.

----------------------

I wouldn't pay much attention to Technophilz, everybody.

Listen to people who've actually seen the game and met Yu Suzuki + certain team members, like Peter.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Telekill
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:07 am

Technophilz wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

The only thing I can think of to bring some light to the end of Shenmue 3's dark tunnel is some big company to step in and properly fund/manage the project, which hasn't happened in 14 years and looks highly unlikely to happen now.

All opinions are welcome, but keep insulting the development team of Shenmue when they are not here to defend themselves and you won't be around here for much longer, on top of spreading information that I can tell you right now is either very sorely mistaken on your part, or just fathomly made up by yourself in the name of trying poorly to troll.

You show up once a month and spew your negative bile all over the place which does nothing for me but make me feel sorry for you. No one agrees with you, or cares quite frankly.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: SheepheadCG, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:07 am

I don't like it when people spread blatant misinformation. It always ends up getting spread to other corners of the internet/world.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:19 am

Technophilz wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

Phil! So much doom and gloom! :lol:

It's not really that bad. Things take time and Shenmue 3 running well in UE4 with all the Shenmue combat, dialogue, story, animation, mini-games.. it all takes time to do well. Basically he's doing a Shenmue 2 size game with a fraction of the man power. The fact is second half of 2018 means he has the funds to keep developing for a whole year more. It's a good thing.

For me, this announcement I could see from a mile off, and for them to be forthright about it, it gives more me confidence they will make the game more solid and have better polish.

fittersau has received a thanks from: Telekill
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:35 am

This update makes me a happy camper. Transparency is always the best course of action in these scenarios, so forYu himself to announce it speaks volumes. He's also a humble and honest man, so if he says the game has become bigger than he anticipated he'd be able to do, that's fantastic. After 16 years, to realize you'll be able to do so much more for your long term fans and supporters has to be a great feeling, even at the cost of time.

That means we've really helped him along and obviously, someone else has also to give them funds for a delay of this magnitude(Sony?). It's not a big deal, Bloodstained was delayed by about the same time frame.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III