YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:28 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:let's say the budget is 10 million dollars. well by now having to pay all those people for an extra year, the budget will be cut seriously in terms of game value. that sucks.

I... what? Game value? What the fuck are you talking about?

there is money now not going into the game that is going into the salaries of all these people for an extra year.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:30 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:let's say the budget is 10 million dollars. well by now having to pay all those people for an extra year, the budget will be cut seriously in terms of game value. that sucks.

there is money now not going into the game that is going into the salaries of all these people for an extra year.

ummm money goes in to the game through paying these people to work on the game...

south carmain has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:33 pm

south carmain wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

ummm money goes in to the game through paying these people to work on the game...

yes but there is a limit to money so how are they going to pay for an extra year unless they are cutting elsewhere? how hard is that to grasp? anyone with any idea of budgeting knows how that works. so either they have a very big budget without any limitations (let's hope) or stuff will be cut from the game some way.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Centrale » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Technophilz wrote:
I want Shenmue 3 to be the best game ever made, not only because it's my most anticipated game of all time, but also Shenmue 3 will most certainly determine the fate of this fantastic series, I could never forget how the commercial outcome of Shenmue I & II had affected the future of Shenmue and I don't want to ever relive that nightmare again...

I think you have to let go of that expectation, for a variety of reasons. For one thing, it's pretty nebulous... "the best game ever made." In whose eyes? The critics, the general public? There'll never be agreement on this. In your own eyes? That's more possible, but even so it might be healthier to hope that it's your favorite game, or simply a satisfying and fulfilling game. Personally I love the previous Shenmue games, but I've never considered them in terms of being perfect or being the best. I love them simply because they are unique and convey a spectrum of feelings that no other games have. I also understand that I'm at a very different place in my life now and I don't expect to have the same kinds of feelings when I play Shenmue III that I did when I played I and II. Although they may nail the vibe and aesthetic in a very satisfying way, there's no way around the fact that I'll be ~17 years older and with new perspectives and it's not up to the developers of Shenmue III to account for my own changes.

Ultimately, though, it's out of your hands... out of all our hands. Our collective hopes and fears don't have a direct influence, so it's up to us to manage our expectations. I think you should be heartened that it's being made by many of the original designers. That alone is an achievement of the best possible circumstance in a turbulent commercial artform. They've expressed that at its current state of development it is already exceeding their own expectations. Things are going well.

As for the (speculated) involvement of some younger and less experienced members of the development team, Yu Suzuki et al started out as young, inexperienced developers, too. They had seniors who recognized their potential and talent. Now they are in the position of being able to recognize and cultivate the potential of less-experienced yet talented collaborators.

Centrale has received a thanks from: Technophilz
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
south carmain wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

yes but there is a limit to money so how are they going to pay for an extra year unless they are cutting elsewhere? how hard is that to grasp? anyone with any idea of budgeting knows how that works. so either they have a very big budget without any limitations (let's hope) or stuff will be cut from the game some way.

This makes no sense.

The game is not going to suffer by taking longer. Either they have enough money for the required person-hours or they don't, and if they don't, then the person-hours aren't paid for and the game doesn't take longer.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:43 pm

After the E3 no show confirmation, the decision to delay the game came as a "relief" for me. At least we can assume the team is really working hard to bring a bigger and better game, expanding the idea of Suzuki-san, and as result... no E3 this year.

The only thing that scarys me is the "posture" of Suzuki san in these video. He seemed a bit nervous like, no smiles... no confidence in his words... this brought me the ideia o him announcing another "estimate" date for release just to calm down people. Like he was on pressure to give a final release date for most angry fans, avoiding backers to ask for a cash-back in the kickstarter.

May be paranoia... certainly is.
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:52 pm

The_Fuzileiro wrote: After the E3 no show confirmation, the decision to delay the game came as a "relief" for me. At least we can assume the team is really working hard to bring a bigger and better game, expanding the idea of Suzuki-san, and as result... no E3 this year.

The only thing that scarys me is the "posture" of Suzuki san in these video. He seemed a bit nervous like, no smiles... no confidence in his words... this brought me the ideia o him announcing another "estimate" date for release just to calm down people. Like he was on pressure to give a final release date for most angry fans, avoiding backers to ask for a cash-back in the kickstarter.

May be paranoia... certainly is.

Knowing how Suzuki is, maybe he is a bit uncomfortable "letting us down" with a delay. He doesn't like that idea and because of that, he seems uncomfortable.

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:04 pm

The_Fuzileiro wrote:The only thing that scarys me is the "posture" of Suzuki san in these video. He seemed a bit nervous like, no smiles... no confidence in his words... this brought me the ideia o him announcing another "estimate" date for release just to calm down people. Like he was on pressure to give a final release date for most angry fans, avoiding backers to ask for a cash-back in the kickstarter.

I think he just looks that way because it's generally pretty awkward to do a spoken piece to camera in a single take when you're not really in a media trained job.

It's better to look at the content of his words rather than how he spoke them.

drunkensailor wrote:there is money now not going into the game that is going into the salaries of all these people for an extra year.

You really do live up to your username, huh.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:23 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
south carmain wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

maybe they have a deal with the polygon factory in China to supply them with as many polygons they need during development for a fixed price?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Telekill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:31 pm

south carmain wrote:maybe they have a deal with the polygon factory in China to supply them with as many polygons they need during development for a fixed price?

Yes. I hear that polygons come in these days at "a high price".

Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:34 pm

WADDYA BUYIN?

Technophilz wrote:
Peter wrote:

Right.

I am a huge avocate of communication so I am gonna try here and not get pissed off at what I am sure you would agree, is your repetitive posting on a semi regular basis where you give your opinion, which is mostly negative.

Instead of me waffling on myself, which I would be the frist to admit I am completely guilty of, I will start small. Can I ask you if there is anything positive you have an opinion of, regarding the past 2 years?

I have responses to your post, but that can come later. For now, I just want to see some positivity here from yourself, based on the assumption that the reason you are here, like the rest of us, is because at the end of it all, we have a love and a respect for this series and it's creator.

You're totally right Peter, my opinion was (and still is) mostly negative, and that makes me feel really sad and frustrated ...
Shenmue I & II not only changed me as a gamer, but also changed my entire life and my carrier as well, those two games taught me how to be as close to perfection as possible in every aspect, I appreciated how Suzuki-san back then went way beyond everyone else in terms of realism, audio/visual design, software engineering, code optimisation, etc ...
That seemed to have raised my expectations so high for Shenmue 3, that I won't feel satisfied with anything less that perfect, and I sincerely hope this is still achievable with the resources available for Shenmue 3 right now...

When the Shenmue 3 project was announced, I jumped off my couch with excitement and almost broke my leg, I backed up the project seconds after the Kickstarter page went live, and I never regretted it ...

I want Shenmue 3 to be the best game ever made, not only because it's my most anticipated game of all time, but also Shenmue 3 will most certainly determine the fate of this fantastic series, I could never forget how the commercial outcome of Shenmue I & II had affected the future of Shenmue and I don't want to ever relive that nightmare again...

I'm here simply because this Dojo is THE place to be for us diehard Shenmue fans from all around the globe, not only because I personally have a love and respect to the series and to its creator, but also because Shenmue to me is much more than the best gaming experience I have ever had, and guess what? We're finally getting a third one sometime in the future and maybe HD remastered versions of the previous ones too, which I sincerely hope it'll end up making all my negativity sound like total nonsense, and that will make me feel so happy that I was wrong all along ...

Ok cool. This is a good post which i can read and get an understanding of your thought process and where you are coming from. Im a little busy prepping tonights stream, but i promise i will respond to this.

drunkensailor wrote:yes but there is a limit to money so how are they going to pay for an extra year unless they are cutting elsewhere? how hard is that to grasp? anyone with any idea of budgeting knows how that works. so either they have a very big budget without any limitations (let's hope) or stuff will be cut from the game some way.

Peter has received a thanks from: Telekill
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby badamn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: They could have waited until the end of the month to announce this along with the updated schedule they are promising. They've already announced their E3 no show, so the delay was expected. I'm really hoping that their timing to announce this before E3 is simply to get all the bad news out of the way so Shenmue HD can get a proper reveal. At E3. Next week. For a December 2017 release. :)

who is this guy?It could've waited till the end of the month?for what?to keep us in the dark longer?
\
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mrandyk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:22 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
south carmain wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

YS knew from the start that Shenmue 3 wasn't going to be released in 2017. The development schedule and budget accounted for this "delay".

The time to panic would be if the game gets delayed into 2019.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gen » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Good, the right decision. Dec 2017 always seemed impossible anyway.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby mrandyk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:23 pm

I think the likelihood of Shenmue HD at E3 is higher now with YS feeling the need to clear the air before the event. The timing could be incidental, but I'm more optimistic with this delay.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III