YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Actually far better announcement than what I thought they would do.

They didn't stay shut about E3 to not dissapoint fans, they didn't wait till novemeber 30, and YS stressed quite a bit that the game is getting delayed because it's exeeding their initial expectations.

Great commyunication effort by YS.

Also, kickstarter dates are always VERY rough estimates of what they THINK they can do, it's not like they planned a 2 year dev cycle with X ammount of money, they just need to put a date because that's how the KS format is laid out.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:33 pm

Eyes are all on PSX for a formal re-reveal, but they may surprise us by doing it in a less predictable way.

No guarantees on when or how, though.

At a guess; I don't think it'll be soon. With a year+ on the clock at the least, may as well just kick the can down the road.

The update at the end of the month may change things, however. I don't expect the reveal then, but they might lay out a timetable of when we can expect to get a more comprehensive look at the game, alongside more information on surveys, and what's happening to the Slacker Backer site.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Here is the key question:

Bigger and more beautiful than Yu anticipated, it seems he said.

From that, can we extrapolate that maybe features or areas that weren't initially reached are now going to be in the game? Will they move goals down that weren't achieved and cross off those that may have become possible with current funds? Exciting thoughts.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Valascaziel wrote: Here is the key question:

Bigger and more beautiful than Yu anticipated, it seems he said.

From that, can we extrapolate that maybe features or areas that weren't initially reached are now going to be in the game? Will they move goals down that weren't achieved and cross off those that may have become possible with current funds? Exciting thoughts.

It would be funny if Yu Suzuki who was notorious for going over budget back at SEGA actually overestimated the costs on making shenmue 3.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Did Yu go over budget with the originals?

As I've understood it, it was a blank cheque project.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm pretty sure he did, I'll have to find the documentary again but obviously like all projects there was an assigned budget but they let him go over because it was supposed to be their system seller after all. I wasn't just referring to shenmue either.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby fittersau » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:50 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Anyone keeping an eye on the Neilo job page? It seems their staff has increased since it was last posted about a couple years ago. They don't seem to have a lot of working capital, though it's increased since last posted about as well. Not sure why that type of information is listed on their site.

http://neilo.co.jp/recruit/

It's hard to know what Neilo's role is in Shenmue 3 development. Neilo itself is an agency which gets work contracted to it from various companies, Ys Net is one of them. They may be recruiting for other projects besides Shenmue 3 in which Ys Net would have only requested for a certain number of resources according to budget.

In any case, the technical roles Neilo are advertising are standard:
  • Programmer
  • Network Programmer / Systems Engineer
  • Planner / Game Designer
  • Director
  • 3D Graphics Designer (Character / Environment)
  • 3D Motion Designer - probably means animator
  • Effect's Designer

The other roles are non-technical or administrative roles.

So yes, those roles could be used for Shenmue 3, but again, keep in mind they do other client work as well.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Eyes are all on PSX for a formal re-reveal, but they may surprise us by doing it in a less predictable way.

Maybe, maybe not. I think hype can happen pretty easily, especially if they floor us with an amazing trailer and a real solid demo.

Surely Playstation have learnt their lesson regarding "indie" game hype with No Man's Sky on the PS4. I'm certain they don't want a repeat of that for PS4's sake as well as a respected developer like Suzuki to be embarrassed by shipping a poorly made game.

Second half of 2018 means E3 2018 or even TGS 2018 can be suitable times for hype.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:49 pm

The only clue we have regarding Neilo's role is that Tak Hirai is viewed as the Shenmue III art director.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Valascaziel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:21 pm

I've had my share of bitterness during these years, but I mean..I just..the man pined, waited and strived for 13 years for an avenue to make this happen.

I just dont see him allowing a sub-par game to happen, not after all this time. It looks like he's finding ways to make this game everything he wants it to be, both for him and for us.

And the latest Bloodstained trailer looks fantastic and it still has a pretty significant amount of time left to go on development time for it also, I think. It also had far less of a budget than Shenmue III.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:30 pm

I don't remember when and which exact words Yu said this but if the kickstarter had earned a little more than 2 million only, Shenmue 3 would have been closed to an interactive movie, or a very linear game at least. Way before this, releasing Shenmue III as a comic was even a possibility.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby punkmanced » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Yokosuka wrote: I don't remember when and which exact words Yu said this but if the kickstarter had earned a little more than 2 million only, Shenmue 3 would have been closed to an interactive movie, or a very linear game at least. Way before this, releasing Shenmue III as a comic was even a possibility.

I remember this as well; we certainly dodged a bullet with the $2M 'game'.

A shenmue comic...Jesus...times were certainly desperate for a while.

punkmanced has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:06 pm

Telekill wrote:
Bluecast wrote: At this point I'd be shocked if we don't get a Shenmue III announcement this year if not at E3.

Huh?

Are you talking about as in Shenmue 3 actually happening? Because it is.
Are you talking about an update trailer shown at E3? I'd enjoy that but....
Are you talking about a simple couple screen shots or mention at E3? ...I doubt it without Yu being there.

Brainfart. I meant Shenmue HD.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Telekill
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Yama » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Yama has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby drunkensailor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:14 am

south carmain wrote: I'm pretty sure he did, I'll have to find the documentary again but obviously like all projects there was an assigned budget but they let him go over because it was supposed to be their system seller after all. I wasn't just referring to shenmue either.

many of sega games had unlimited budget. the story of panzer dragoon saga in this is a very good example.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III