YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Postby adom11800 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:08 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Surpirise, surprise. ;-) Pretty much everything I wanted to say has been said already. No hard feelings about the delay as far as I'm concerned. I hope they do have the money to pay for the delay and hope they'll put the extra time to good use.

The one thing I want to stress however, is this: Whatever YS Net do, they should meke a really big effort to finish this game in 2018. The one thing they must absolutely not do is causing a second delay. If that happens, the media will tear it to shreds and also the PS4 will probably be on its way out in 2019.

All Sony consoles had something like a 6 or 7-year life-span. PS1 from 1994 to 2000, PS2 from 2000 to 2006, PS3 from 2006 to 2013. That means, if Sony will make a PS5, it's probably gonna come out in 2019 or 20.

I don't want to see another Shenmue game coming out on a dying system, so I really hope YS Net will get their act together and release S3 in 2018.

Then hopefully we can play Shenmue 4 on the PlayStation 5.

And Suzuki Yu you're right about Sony. They most likely gave more money but who knows what is going on behind the scenes...
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:52 am

Shibuya Productions has stated that Shenmue III needs to sell 1 million units to ensure the development of the rest of the saga.

The Last of Us, Life Is Strange, and Horizon: Zero Dawn all sold over 3 million, but we shall see.

Can Shenmue III do it?

ShenmueLegacy has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:13 am

ShenmueLegacy wrote: Shibuya Productions has stated that Shenmue III needs to sell 1 million units to ensure the development of the rest of the saga.

The Last of Us, Life Is Strange, and Horizon: Zero Dawn all sold over 3 million, but we shall see.

Can Shenmue III do it?

Do you have a link to that figure? Surely Shenmue 3 will sell more than a million units. Once we get some HD remakes it'll get new people interested.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby adom11800 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:31 am

ShenmueLegacy wrote: Shibuya Productions has stated that Shenmue III needs to sell 1 million units to ensure the development of the rest of the saga.

Can Shenmue III do it?

I sure hope so.
adom11800

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:36 am

Can Shenmue III do it?

yeah I don't think it will have any trouble reaching that number in today's market. Especially after the noise the E3 reveal made and sony promoting it.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby mrandyk » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:30 am

Shenmue 3 will sell. We just don't know if it will be on the back of positive commercial reception, or as a result of "Duke Nukem Forever" syndrome.

I'm more worried about Sega when it comes to a Shenmue 4. If Shenmue 3 is profitable they might involve themselves again, and lord knows they can't handle anything properly.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:31 pm

south carmain wrote:

Can Shenmue III do it?

yeah I don't think it will have any trouble reaching that number in today's market. Especially after the noise the E3 reveal made and sony promoting it.

I don't know. look at a game like yakuza 0 that barely sold 300,000 despite hype and including the better japanese sales. shenmue 3 won't sell well in japan and the pre-order sales don't count.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:53 pm

If Shenmue III pleases the fanbase, all they have to do is start another kickstarter campaign for IV...
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:18 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
south carmain wrote:

Can Shenmue III do it?

I don't know. look at a game like yakuza 0 that barely sold 300,000 despite hype and including the better japanese sales. shenmue 3 won't sell well in japan and the pre-order sales don't count.

where are you getting this number from? All I can find is that it sold over a hundred thousand in the west in its first week alone.

south carmain has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby SheepheadCG » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:20 pm

south carmain wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
south carmain wrote:

Can Shenmue III do it?

where are you getting this number from? All I can find is that it sold over a hundred thousand in the west in its first week alone.

Probs VGChartz lol numbers are so random. I saw multiple articles with over 108k in the first week, couldn't even get it here in the UK because it was sold out everywhere. I've given up with people who are doomsday bringers when it comes to Shenmue sales... getting so old so quick Drunkensailer, give it a rest mate ;)
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:23 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:If Shenmue III pleases the fanbase, all they have to do is start another kickstarter campaign for IV...

If Shenmue III only pleases the fan base, then good luck reaching the same budget with another Kickstarter, minus fourteen years of mystique.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:26 pm

SheepheadCG wrote:
south carmain wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
south carmain wrote:

Can Shenmue III do it?

Probs VGChartz lol numbers are so random. I saw multiple articles with over 108k in the first week, couldn't even get it here in the UK because it was sold out everywhere. I've given up with people who are doomsday bringers when it comes to Shenmue sales... getting so old so quick Drunkensailer, give it a rest mate ;)

yeah I checked, that is indeed where he got them from. But we all know VGchartz are full of shit, and here's proof:
Total shipments for Yakuza 0 in Japan and Asia have surpassed 500,000 units, Sega announced. The game launched for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 on March 12 in Japan.

Sega also announced that total global shipments for the Yakuza series have also reached 7.5 milion.

The series will celebrate its 10th anniversary on December 10.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/06/yakuza-0-shi ... sO1KBBd.99
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:31 pm

To be a little bit picky, shipments aren't sales. That's just how many have been sent to retailers to stock their shelves, not how many have been sold to customers.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: To be a little bit picky, shipments aren't sales. That's just how many have been sent to retailers to stock their shelves, not how many have been sold to customers.

Unless if shops across Japan and China have massive stocks of Yakuza 0s rotting in their backrooms because SEGA shipped way more than demand then I would say it's pretty safe to assume the numbers are pretty close.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Bluecast
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:39 pm

EDIT: I misread the numbers on Vgchartz at first.

If you add the PS3 version which sold like another 250k in Japan, then Vgchartzisn't that far away from stating 500k copies of Yakuza 0 sold in Japan and Asia. Plus 60k in Europe and 80k in the US and a bit in the rest of the world would make something between 500 and 600k copies sold worldwide.

The question is, where do Vgchartz' numbers come from and do they include retail only or do they include digital too?

Still 150k copies sold in the US and Europe combined are fucking disappointing, especially considering the fact that contrary to earlier Yakuza games Sega actually did some halway decent marketing for it and it was widely praised by gaming media.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III