YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:17 pm

If they announce the demo for September, which of the 3 villages would you like it to be? Baisha, Choubo or Bailu Village. It's a hard pick for me because I don't want to be spoiled too much. Choubo for me then
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:31 am

The_Intruder wrote: If they announce the demo for September, which of the 3 villages would you like it to be? Baisha, Choubo or Bailu Village. It's a hard pick for me because I don't want to be spoiled too much. Choubo for me then

I want it to be entirely set in the cave.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby adom11800 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:55 am

^ Lol. I sure hope there is a good update tomorrow. Not expecting anything big but something to put our minds at ease at least.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:07 am

I'm planning to stay up all night for the update. Lol
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby adom11800 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:49 pm

The_Intruder wrote: I'm planning to stay up all night for the update. Lol

I wouldn't expect anything too big man.
adom11800

Postby Shadow2222 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm trying to keep my expectations low just in case we only receive a brief statement just reaffirming that the delay is to better the game and thanking the fans for their patience.
Shadow2222
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:22 pm

I wouldn't set your expectations that low.

Why would they even bother putting together a separate update if there wasn't something more to be covered about what the delay means that didn't already get expressed in Yu's statement?

Don't expect the world, but we should at least get a little bit of info on surveys, the slacker backer site, and rewards fulfilment.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:25 pm

adom11800 wrote:
The_Intruder wrote: I'm planning to stay up all night for the update. Lol

I wouldn't expect anything too big man.

I know...They always only give us a very small glimpse. Probably by Fall we get a big update.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:00 pm

The dream of a big update may as well be dead right now.

Not in a bad way mind you, but it's getting to the point where we're going to have skipped seeing most of the nuts and bolts development process.

What we'll be seeing instead will be much closer to the final version - by which point they may as well just showcase that on a wider stage if at all possible.

We'll probably end up seeing a fuller picture of the game being developed after it comes out, via Adam Sipione's Shenmue documentary (if it releases after the game), and whatever YSnet decide to release posthumously (a "Making of Shenmue III" GDC panel in 2019 would be neat).

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Spaghetti wrote: The dream of a big update may as well be dead right now.

Not in a bad way mind you, but it's getting to the point where we're going to have skipped seeing most of the nuts and bolts development process.

What we'll be seeing instead will be much closer to the final version - by which point they may as well just showcase that on a wider stage if at all possible.

We'll probably end up seeing a fuller picture of the game being developed after it comes out, via Adam Sipione's Shenmue documentary (if it releases after the game), and whatever YSnet decide to release posthumously (a "Making of Shenmue III" GDC panel in 2019 would be neat).

A GDC panel of Shemue 3 making must be the best thing to happen.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sappharad » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:08 pm

The_Intruder wrote: If they announce the demo for September, which of the 3 villages would you like it to be? Baisha, Choubo or Bailu Village. It's a hard pick for me because I don't want to be spoiled too much. Choubo for me then

Based on their level of effort to avoid spoilers by basically not showing video of anything besides Bailu so far, I'm guessing the backer trial is just going to be the beginning of the game. (Bailu)

Because the trial is only going to those who paid $100 or more, it's likely that most of us who paid that much are already familiar with the series and don't need a demo to introduce it. If they were looking to introduce Shenmue to people who weren't familiar with the series Choubu would be be a better choice. Actually, they must account for the fact that people are going to share gameplay of the trial, so maybe Choubu would be in their best interest but if they're thinking primarily of core fans then I think the beginning makes the most sense so they don't need to create content specifically for the trial. Throwing you directly into the middle of the game would require them to actually develop content specifically for that trial to know what's going on, and I don't think they're going to waste funds and time doing that.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 pm

It's an interesting problem for them to solve.

It's not totally outside the realms of possibility for a What's Shenmue-style demo. When you think about it, What's Shenmue was really only built out of rearranged pieces of the main game at its core; so quite a lot of the legwork was already done and costs already sunk into something that'd ship in the final product.

They could do something similar for III, but it depends if YSnet think it's worth the time and cost of a few unique VO sessions for the story they've ginned up for the demo. That is, if they decide to voice the demo at all.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the demo lets you try more gameplay options than What's Shenmue did, though. Something with FREE Battle at least. Maybe the best option is just a basic free roam mode around Bailu, and being able to select isolated gameplay examples you wouldn't see in that part of the game from a menu?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Demo's take a lot of man power and time and several TB's of data. Do they have the time and spare people to make one? I love the idea of it I just dunno if it's the best thing for them time and person wise.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:19 pm

A backer demo was a rewards tier for $100 and over, so it should be accounted for in the budget and schedule.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Times like this I regret only donating enough to get the PS4 disc copy. :sad:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III