YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: YSNET officially announce the delay of Shenmue 3.

Postby yuc02 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:58 am

Probably the least surprising news on S3 so far. I wouldn't mind if they delayed til 2019 (series 20th anniversary!), although they'll need to be careful if PS4 is on its way out by then.
yuc02
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: yuc2002
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:06 am

Something about this is oddly comforting, despite it really being part of a double whammy for us (no show at E3 and now an official delay). Probably the fact the message came from Suzuki himself, he teased us a bit about how the beauty and scope is surprising even him, and that no one was expecting the game before late 2018 anyway. I think the timing of this announcement was right, too - and here's hoping that maybe he's priming us for some good news soon to mitigate this (Shenmue HD announcement next week, perhaps)
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby KidMarine » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:13 am

I wonder if that Sony rep's recent visit has led to Sony investing some money into the project? Enough to let them employ a dev team for an extra year or so? Maybe wishful thinking, but you never know.
yuc02 wrote:2019 (series 20th anniversary!)

Jesus, the passage of time is terrifying.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 am

A 2019 delay would be a bit much. I still personally doubt that the game is even getting a delay of a full year, but we'll see how that pans out.

Reminder as always; there is so much stuff they haven't shown us already. This delay is not about a lack of work done, but rather the intention to push it so much further.

EDIT: Corsi's visit was likely just a milestone review. If anybody would be pumping in extra money, it'd be Shibuya.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:22 am

I wonder if they'll save the big trailer reveal for PSX 2017 or E3 2018? E3 is the bigger event, but PSX seems more tailored to smaller games like Shenmue III.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby JohnBlack » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:22 am

As long as i dont see egypt shenmue font - im fine.

JohnBlack has received a thanks from: darksniper
JohnBlack

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:28 am

Budgetary concern is valid, but I'd like to think that they had the foresight of a delay whilst planning this and are able to accommodate. Announcing December 2018 from the get go might have discouraged backers who felt that is too long of a wait from their initial investment, but Suzuki and co. surely knew from the start that would have been a more likely release window.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:30 am

Best news since the Advanced Free Battle announcement.

I feel a bit disappointed for Biscay and the other related actors though. The delay seemed to be inevitable, I hope their trust has not been abused by the project ambition.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ianpm31 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:33 am

Yu Suzuki could have given us an "official" delay in the backers update at the end of the month but the fact that he did it now gives me a feeling that Shenmue HD will be announced at e3. Yu and Sega wanted to make sure their was no confusion when they announce Shenmue HD for this year.
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby darksniper » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:34 am

Honestly the delay made me even more excited for the game. I remember Suzuki saying a while back that his favorite part of the whole series happens in the third game. I cant wait to see what that part is. I have complete faith that he will deliver a stellar game.

Knowing Suzuki, I wouldnt be surprised if this development cycle maybe used to joint develop Shenmue IV. Kinda like how 1 and 2 were jointly developed.

It makes it very intriguing of what who those saw of Shenmue III had to say. Calling the game "beautiul" is a strong compliment to give to a video game.

Either way, im thankful we're getting a Shenmue III that surpasses Yu Suzuki's vision. Knowing that he's been nothing but kind and honest to his audience ever since "I think Sega will let me make the game". I feel a genuine sincerity in his demeanor that makes me believe that Shenmue III is going to be mind blowing.

Take your time Suzuki-sama. Take as much time as you need.
Last edited by darksniper on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

darksniper has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Ceej » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:36 am

I've been operating under the assumption that this would be delayed so it's hard to feel any disappointment about the news...December 2017 never seemed realistic to me. If I had to bet money I'd guess that Spring 2017 is when the game actually hits despite today's new window.
Ceej

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:41 am

Yokosuka wrote: Best news since the Advanced Free Battle announcement.

I feel a bit disappointed for Biscay and the other related actors though. The delay seemed to be inevitable, I hope their trust has not been abused by the project ambition.

You always manage to find something negative, don't you? :P

Do you think Cédric would rather have a rushed, half-baked game which may sell poorly instead of a polished, well crafted Shenmue 3 with better chances of selling well? (especially if Shenmue HD comes out by the end of the year)

Kiske has received a thanks from: rdk_nl
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:41 am

I can see how people can be worried about finances, but think about it. It's not as if they are running low, announce a delay, and then say, "sure we will worry about that later". The calculations will have been done, YSNET have an admin team, covering accounts. They will have worked out how long they can delay the game and keep/hire more manpower to get this game made.

Then we have Shibuya Productions, so privately who knows if they have been given more money. That won't be public, so it all boils down to your attitude about something you don't know. You can either be positive and have faith, or negative and speculate about this project being in dire straits. If you choose the latter, I can't retort to that because I literally couldn't put myself in that mindset to understand. Nor would I want to. Choose happiness.

Peter has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:43 am

Fine by me. I sill don't own a PS4...

mjq jazz bar has received 2 thanks from: cham69, RootyKazooty
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby rdk_nl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:44 am

Yokosuka wrote:I feel a bit disappointed for Biscay and the other related actors though.

Biscay is one of "the driving force" behind Shenmue 3. (Without him and MAGS 2013; there was no Shenmue 3) I'm sure he supports this decision for 100%.

Biscay was also one of the first people who tweeted about this news.

rdk_nl has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
rdk_nl

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III