Shenmue 3:My Storyline Speculations [Spoilers]

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3:My Storyline Speculations [Spoilers]

Postby Domosuke » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:22 pm

This post contains spoilers. I assume everyone who is in this section has completed the first two games, but just to be safe.

So now that Shenmue 3 is officially delayed and is given an open ended release. They say next year, but who knows.

What's bothering me is that people keep saying "I want to finally end the story." "I want Ryo and Lan Di to face off." etc.

Crap like this is really making my head spin.

Shenmue 3 according to Yu Suzuki is probably not even half of the story yet. So we are waiting for a game that's not going to complete to story. But whatever lol.

As Yu Suzuki said that he wanted to make like 6 or 7 Shenmue games right?

Mind you, maybe Ryo might not be the main character in the later games, or a different story might come out. etc.

Like Shenmue 2 wasn't really about Ryo's reason/story on to why he went to China. He was helping out random strangers he didn't know so.

LIke how GTA has a different story and different characters each game. Like it's set in New York, London, Miami, GTA V is set in Los Angeles etc.

But going back on topic,

SPOILER DISCUSSION WARNING:

I don't think that Ryo is ever going to "defeat" Lan Di.

If you remember in the first game, after Ryo saves Nozomi from Lan Di's bodyguards trying to flirt with her and they almost ran her over, he goes home and notices the Dojo was broken into.

He sees Lan Di and his father in the Dojo having a quarrel and his father tells Ryo to leave and he doesn't.

Lan Di then simply asks for the Dragon mirror, thinking he doesn't have the Phoenix mirror. Unaware that Ryo's father has both the Phoenix and Dragon mirrors.

His father refuses to hand it over. Lan Di then strikes him and asks if he remembers a man he killed named "Zhao Sunming".

Now we still don't know who "Zhao Sunming" officially is.

But I and many other fans have a theory it's possibly Lan Di's father, or twin brother or someone who is very close to him that Ryo's father either accidentally or purposefully killed for no good reason.

I also believe Ryo's father is not Japanese and he's actually Chinese and an is a ex member of Lan Di's Mafia/Cartel group.

After that Lan Di strikes him some more and says he will kill him and Ryo if he doesn't give him the mirror.

He gives in and Lan Di and his goons leave the Dojo. Ryo's father unfortunately passes away due to blows Lan Di gave him.

So going as to why I think he will never get "vengeance" on Lan Di, is 1.Ryo no matter how hard he trains is never going to be able to defeat Lan Di. He can't even battle Xiuying and she even constantly reminds him not to approach Lan Di.

and 2.He will get some type of guilty conscience. He knows his father is just as equally evil as Lan Di is and there will be some type of truce.

Maybe another story might come out or they will just ham this up until the final game lol.

So that kinda makes the wait easier as I already know how at least Ryo's story is going to end. I don't know how the whole Shenmue series in a whole is going to end.

I also want to see if I'm right whether they release more games or an OVA or cartoon or whatever.

So what do you guys think?
Last edited by Domosuke on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Domosuke
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Shenmue 3 Delay/Storyline speculation [Spoilers]

Postby darksniper » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:39 am

In the Shenmue postmortem Yu Suzuki explicitly states that Ryo does in fact defeat Lan Di. I don't know how in the hell he does it but that's why I can't wait for Shenmue III. Of course there's the possibility he changes the story but we'll see.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:32 am

darksniper wrote: In the Shenmue postmortem Yu Suzuki explicitly states that Ryo does in fact defeat Lan Di.

He also stated in an interview with ShenmueMaster that the "feeling of revenge will completely disappear".

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: darksniper, VukBZ2005
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:36 am

darksniper wrote: In the Shenmue postmortem Yu Suzuki explicitly states that Ryo does in fact defeat Lan Di. I don't know how in the hell he does it but that's why I can't wait for Shenmue III. Of course there's the possibility he changes the story but we'll see.

I thought he was talking about Virtua FIghter RPG? I can't quite remember, but I thought that was the case.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Domosuke » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:50 am

darksniper wrote: In the Shenmue postmortem Yu Suzuki explicitly states that Ryo does in fact defeat Lan Di. I don't know how in the hell he does it but that's why I can't wait for Shenmue III. Of course there's the possibility he changes the story but we'll see.

Well I doubt that.

The correct answer is nobody knows. We'll shall find out.

I also don't think we'll find out in Shenmue 3 either way. But I think I'm right with my theory.
Domosuke

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:58 am

I wonder if they already have a set plan how far they are going with the story in Shenmue III.
Was thinking about how Yu Suzuki's statements about the delay could be interpreted. Making the game bigger by increasing the size of the areas and putting more details into the story? Or will they actually be able to add extended stuff, new areas and drive the story further?

I'm pretty sure or at least hope that Shenmue III will answer some of the big questions that were raised in the Guilin chapter. Since Lan Di is very likely not the ultimate enemy at all it might very well be possible that we'll get the fight in Shenmue III. It's either him or someone else from the Chi You Men as the big boss of this entry in the series.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby adom11800 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:09 am

I don't blame you for getting annoyed about people thinking Shenmue 3 is the last one.
It's kind of possible that the Shenmue series will end with Shenmue IV. Chapter 2 (the boat) was a manga, so they might do the same with Chapter 7 and maybe something like the last Chapter 11 will be the finale of Shenmue? Who knows. It's interesting yet kind of worrying at the same time.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby jasonorme666 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:18 am

From what I understand Lan-Di is only a small part of a large story.
From the post-mortem, I understood that Ryo faces off with Lan-di in Shenmue III.. now that's not to say he kills him, as I personally think the the journey is about Ryo realizing that revenge isn't the answer.

Suzuki constructed four acts with the themes "sadness", "fight", "departure" and "starting afresh".

I think the story of Shenmue branches out on a far bigger scale than defeating Lan-di, remember this..
jasonorme666

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:31 am

BlueMue wrote: Since Lan Di is very likely not the ultimate enemy at all it might very well be possible that we'll get the fight in Shenmue III. It's either him or someone else from the Chi You Men as the big boss of this entry in the series.

Niao Sun, perhaps? We know she's going to be in Shenmue 3 and is one of the four main bosses of the Chi You Men.
However, whether or not we actually get to fight her or just see her properly for the first time, will remain to be seen...
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:55 am

The key to guess where the story is going is in Shenhua's prophecy imo:

"He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea,
A young man who has yet to know his potential,
This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will
His courage shall determine his fate,
The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity, I await whilst praying,
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times,
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light,
And thus the saga… Begins…"

The bolded implying that Ryo needs to find a way to unlock his potential (some chinese sage? Shenhua?), which he has because he's some sort of "chosen one" predetermined since ancient times to (pure speculation begins now) defeat the demon Chi You or stop its resurrection. Shenhua's adoptive father speech also says Ryo is the one.

Which makes sense because unlocking his hidden power is the only way a kid can reach Lan Di's level of skill.

Shenhua-Nani? has received 2 thanks from: DoubleO_Ren, VukBZ2005
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 am

Sonoshee wrote:Niao Sun, perhaps?

Yeah she pretty much has to be like right around the corner in Shenmue III. Considering she was one of the first few characters shown complete with character profile and everything and they teased her in the credits of Shenmue II.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Centrale » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:35 am

Domosuke wrote:
But I and many other fans have a theory it's possibly Lan Di's father, or twin brother or someone who is very close to him that Ryo's father either accidentally or purposefully killed for no good reason.

I also believe Ryo's father is not Japanese and he's actually Chinese and an is a ex member of Lan Di's Mafia/Cartel group.

He knows his father is just as equally evil as Lan Di is and there will be some type of truce.

Hmm, that's an interesting theory but it goes against everything I've observed about Iwao Hazuki. Admittedly not much is shown of him, but what is shown demonstates the importance he places on teaching Ryo about integrity. Also, if he had somehow gotten out of the criminal life after having been involved deeply enough to be a killer, I doubt he would draw attention to himself by establishing a dojo.

Centrale has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Domosuke » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Centrale wrote:
Domosuke wrote:

He knows his father is just as equally evil as Lan Di is and there will be some type of truce.

Hmm, that's an interesting theory but it goes against everything I've observed about Iwao Hazuki. Admittedly not much is shown of him, but what is shown demonstates the importance he places on teaching Ryo about integrity. Also, if he had somehow gotten out of the criminal life after having been involved deeply enough to be a killer, I doubt he would draw attention to himself by establishing a dojo.

(CONTAINS SPOILERS. MMKAY? GOT IT? GREAT. AWESOME. )

No it doesn't. We only seen one past cutscene of this man. When Ryo is talking with Shenhua at the end of the second game and Shenhua tells him that she grows and cooks her own food etc. to that extent, We see a flashback of Ryo maybe ten years earlier when he was a child. His father is telling him to eat his vegetables at dinner. We know very little on Iwao Hazuzi, other than he's a single father who has a business by owning a Dojo located adjacent to his house in the back of the property, and he has housekeeper/maid, and an exchange student the same age as Ryo who recently started living at his very modern contemporary urban house.

He could have just as easily had this ruthless and sinister background which eventually caught up to him, as we all know, going back to the Four Wude (which every martial artist that has ties in China, should obey, or they will go down a disrespectful and scornful path.) was the main theme of the second game.

GON:Train, (or at least make an effort to) everyday without neglect. In other words, use training and martial arts as a way to deal with whatever issues or problems you have. Keep attempting a move or a stance until you succeed at it. (Ryo going on this wild goose chase to find his fathers "killer" is going against this in a way, but Ryo does seem to have a very moderate and level and appreciation and respect of Martial Arts, so he does understand GON somewhat, but the fact he at times uses Martial Arts for some which may seem to be negative reasons, he at times doesn't understand GON, but for arguments sake, let's just say he does because generally he does.)

DAN:Be brave, stay calm to make the right decisions. Basically, this means to have confidence in yourself and to use common sense. If you know a move seems too dangerous to perform or you're not ready or experienced yet to try it, or you know that you are way too undermatched to fight a person, don't do it. On the other side, respect women, children and the elderly etc, don't be narcissistic, cocky, or an asshole about your training etc. Not necessarily go easy on a person who isn't as experienced as you, but be mindful. etc. (Ryo seems to have understanding of this. He has never murdered or killed anyone in the series. He will stand up over injustice or someone being bullied etc. He has knocked many guys out in self defense, but he's never killed anyone and he won't. That's not who Ryo is at all. He's just a young man leaving his Final Year of High School. So yes Ryo does understand the DAN aspect of the Four Wude, and that's possibly the only one he has).

JIE:Judge yourself and others without conceit. Do not show moves carelessly.

(Basically if you ask me, this should be two different codes of ethics and maybe there should be a fifth Wude lol. But as this is a video game going by standard martial arts ethics, they treat it as one solitary one.)

To me this is the most important Wude, and goes to support my whole theory of Iwao Hazuki and his relationship with Lan Di.

So in other words, this is first of all basically saying that nobody is perfect. Nobody is. Even if you are very skilled in martial arts and are undefeated with your fights, etc. Everyone in the planet has flaws and imperfections. If you think that you are this perfect molded person, well one you are a narcissistic asshole, and two you're incorrect so. (Many times through Ryo's story, he's a very narcissistic asshole and is even reminded of this by many of his friendly associates he meets. So this is one example as to why he doesn't posses the JIE wude.)

In addition, it also tells you along with that, to not judge others either. Don't think someone is not worthy of your time because they are impoverished or low class. Don't judge someone based on their past actions. Don't be racist, homophobic or transphobic, xenophobic, ageist, sexist, shaming someone's religion, coven, or spirituality etc.

(A clear example is when he first met Guixiang, and how he thought of her as this scary older woman he wanted nothing to do with and avoided. It turns out she is one of the martial arts masters who still live in the area, and taught him more about the Four Wude and the Chawan sign which is a language/non verbal code that many martial artists use to send messages, either good or bad. So basically Ryo judged this woman who actually ended up being much and great help to him. So that's why it's not always wise to judge others with conceit.)

If someone lives a lifestyle or lack of a lifestyle, that you don't agree with, respectfully disagree with their lifestyle or lack of a lifestyle, but as a person who understands the Four Wude, you will still help them and be a good friend or support system and judge them without conceit as it says.

Finally, it also tells you to not act thoughtlessly or carelessly/things usually are not at all what they seem. (Him thinking Master Tao Lishao/Xiuying, was an old man and not a young woman is the best example. He was very rude to her simply because she was this slim petite woman and he would never assume she would be the master of the temple.)

Connecting with that, it also means don't act or think in a way that isn't ethical. Don't fight someone who doesn't wish to be fought. Fight fair etc. If you are going to fight, don't make a terrible mistake that if you would have trained more or put more effort into, wouldn't have happened. If your body is telling you to stop, then stop.

YI:To act without hesitation, and to do what's right. This basically means to really think about the clear picture of life and how society works. Nobody is Superman no, but if you do see something that isn't right, act accordingly the best way you can. If you see someone having difficulty in a certain situation, It would be nice to help them out without hesitation if you were able to, not because you don't want to, or because you don't know or care about them.

This also means to basically act in a respectful and dignified way. Really understand that you see the clear picture of everything before you make what could be a terrible mistake. For example, if you know that move is fatal, perhaps be the bigger person and don't perform that move. Unless you have a very dignified reason for doing something which could lead to the death of another person, don't act in such a way.

(Ryo at times shows he can exhibit the Yi Wude, but he is not even close to actually possessing it and understanding it. The sheer fact he's seeking revenge for his father's death, totally goes against this wude.)

A lot of these coincide with each other yes, but each one is different as they mainly cover a key point.

If Lan Di was this monster as the game portrays him to be, what stopped him from killing/kidnapping Ine San? What prevented him from killing Fuk San and Ryo as well? What stopped him from telling the pilot of the helicopter to land on the roof after he knocked Don Niu out? Nothing? I don't think Lan Di is that type of person at all. He is a very skilled and advanced martial artist. Ryo doesn't have a snowball chance in hell in defeating him, sorry.

Iwao Hazuki (possibly under a different chinese name) was in some way connected to the gang/cartel/mafia/clique in China, perhaps as Lan Di's bodyguard or toadie or something of that extent. He did something very inexcusable to disrespect Lan Di. What exactly, I'm not sure. Many fans think he murdered someone close to him, possibly either his twin brother, or his father. I'm leaning more toward the twin brother theory though if you ask me.

In the infamous fight scene, Iwao immediately tells Ryo to leave the dojo and he doesn't. Lan Di whom we don't know what they were discussing about before Ryo walked to the dojo, asks to see the dragon mirror. After scaring him that he was going to kill Ryo, Iwao confesses that he does have the dragon mirror and it's buried behind the dojo.

When Lan Di and Iwao are fighting, he asks, "Do you remember [XX]?. That's the name of the man you murdered in Moonswoon."

He then maybe still having remorse for his actions and scared, relocated to Japan and changed his name and decided to turn his life around and not involve himself in cartel business and open a dojo to teach new generations martial arts.

This also explains the very rocky and confusing relationship between Master Chen and Iwao Hazuki, who even tells Ryo that his father was apart of this mafia business, and although Master Chen and his son Guizhang don't support or condone Ryo's actions, Master Chen does use his own money to buy Ryo a ticket to China.

Again why his fathers last words were, "Ryo, please keep "real" friends. Friends that cherish you." As clearly Iwao thought he had a good support system being apart of this cartel group, that seemed not to be the case.

So with all of that said, I have to kindly disagree with you, on that.

This is also the 80s mind you. Back then they didn't have social media and all that to where nowadays, it is getting harder and harder for people to keep low profiles.
Last edited by Domosuke on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Domosuke

Re: Shenmue 3:My Storyline Speculations [Spoilers]

Postby Enigma » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 pm

If I recall correctly from the Shenmue Postmortem which you can find on You Tube (I'm writing on my phone so forgive my laziness) the story of Shenmue (or maybe the Akira RPG) has four main acts: Sadness, Departure, Fight and Starting Afresh.

Assuming Shenmue ends at the fourth game, that would mean one game would fit each act.

Shenmue 1 is about sadness. Akira/Ryo faces the death of his father and other setbacks.

Shenmue 2 is about departure. Akira/Ryo travels to China.

Shenmue 3 is the fight. Suzuki's comments regarding this act at the post-mortem were that Akira fought his enemy 'Randi' and came away victorious. This further implies that Ryo may defeat Lan Di in Shenmue 3 coupled together with other statements by Suzuki.

Shenmue 4 is about starting afresh. Akira loses his purpose in life and must rediscover a new one.

So those are hints right there of where the story might go.
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: SWOTOR

Re: Shenmue 3:My Storyline Speculations [Spoilers]

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:23 pm

I think Ryo will be skilled enough to kill Lan Di but he won't. Not at the end of Shenmue 3. Probably at the end of 4 or 5. He will be the one to break the cycle of revenge. Lan Di will also have a change of heart and help Ryo take down Tentei not for revenge but for the sake of protecting the world from the Chiyoumen. Lan Di will likely die in the process. This is how I see the games progressing.

Shenmue 3: Niao Sun
Shenmue 4: Second leader
Shenmue 5: Third leader and Lan Di
Shenmue 6: Tentei

elfshadowreaper has received 2 thanks from: sshen1127, VukBZ2005
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue III