when/what of Shenmue III do we see?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

when we see Shenmue III again. What do we see and when? (Total votes: 21)

Screenshots by end of this year
33%
Trailer by end of this year
43%
Trailer at e3 2018
14%
Screenshots in ks update next year
5%
Other
5%

when/what of Shenmue III do we see?

Postby Jesse » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:45 pm

I thought this would be a decent way to gauge the community. It is a bit soon after e3 but I've been thinking about this since the no e3 announcement. I'm of two minds on this:

1. Pie in the sky complete wishful thinking is we get a trailer, screenshots, or updated ryo model in new update.

2. We get screenshots around late Nov or early Dec in update. I think this is the most likely personally atleast for this year.

3. We get minimal updates leading up to e3 and then the trailer drops at Sony's conference. I believe this would be a bad option if no HD Collection is out or atleast announced before then.

What are your thoughts and why?
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Re: when/what of Shenmue III do we see?

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:38 am

I'm willing to bet on seeing a teaser soon, possibly at PSX.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby mrandyk » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:17 am

Screenshots by KS update in 2017, small clips of gameplay by KS update in 2017, actual trailer at e3 2018.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:09 am

Happy with screenies for the time being. Plenty of stuff in the works. Looking back at update #25 we can see already the mocap machine has been used quite well to capture Ryo's movements. I'm sure they're going through the whole register to ensure every little bit of movement has been captured. It's just time consuming stuff.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby John Doom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:21 am

I think they'll probably keep releasing new screenshots in the next months and especially at MAGIC next year, but I'm pretty sure the real debut will be at E3 2018.
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:06 pm

The last two years have taught me that trying to predict what we see of Shenmue III and when is kind of a fool's game, but I love a bit of speculation so;

Screens - The likely option by a wide margin, but not a 100% safe bet because of how the KS updates are usually video content.

Gameplay clips - Very possible, as we already saw some in the March update; the footage itself already a month old by that point. A few more fleeting glimpses of the game in action would not be unexpected, and I'd dare say this is a safer bet than screens right now.

A more extensive look at the gameplay isn't as likely, but after addressing E3 and the delay as quickly as they did, YSnet are possibly taking a closer look at what fans want to see out of Kickstarter updates and might throw us a bone if they're comfortable with what they're showing.

Trailer/full re-reveal - PSX this year might yield results, but there's no rush. We don't know the extent of what "second half of 2018" can mean, and there's always the (slim, IMO) possibility of a further delay. If the release window isn't in sight for the team by 6-10 months, then they may as well keep a lid on the big stuff.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby adom11800 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:22 am

Hopefully the next update or updates we will see some new screenshots. Maybe even what the models of Ryo, Shenhua and Lan Di look like now?

Later on in the year we will see some proper gameplay videos. Only short ones though.

I'm really hoping a trailer at PSX 2017 but who knows if that will happen. I don't want the first trailer to be at E3 2018, that's almost a year away. I'm hoping that trailer will be the last and the one to reveal the actual release date.

There's also Tokyo Game Show but hmm not sure if Shenmue III will be there.

Let's see what happens.
adom11800

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:41 am

TGS' relevance has been slipping for years and years. If YSnet decided not to show at E3, I'm not sure they'll bring anything to an objectively inferior show just three months later either.

That said, I would not be surprised if we get a new Yu Suzuki interview from the Japanese gaming press at that time. Yu is a regular attendee at the show and may set aside some time to talk to someone from Famitsu or the like.

That is, if he has time to go this year.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Mr357
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:21 am

Six months is a lot of development time for Yu and his team--even the brief footage we saw in March was a month old.

I think they have potential to have something to show by PSX in December. A 1+2 Combo with III and HD would be great and fit in at PSX.

That's of course assuming that Shenmue HD is being worked on and isn't simply a rushed upscale.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to Shenmue III