(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Will Shenmue 3 Suck? (Total votes: 41)

Yes
29%
No
71%

Re: Will Shenmue 3 Suck?

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:36 am

The sound quality is going to be infinitely better, so that'll help a little. I could handle most of the voices, but...

phpBB [video]

I hope nothing THAT bad makes it into 3.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:38 am

let's play saccah

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: mjq jazz bar, SickOctopus
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 am

Spaghetti wrote:
- I'm not sure why you're bringing cut content into this. A good localisation does not diminish the game's content or the characters, but does try to smooth out the odd speech patterning of a literal translation. 1:1 without any tweaking where it makes sense would be a mistake, but it's not a binary choice between either that or Ryo screaming "YEEHAW" at the end of a sentence.

- Because it's a possibility, it played a part on last gen japanese meh games, and I think it has to do with their resurgence in the last few years.
- We all know translation has a wide range of approachs, I just said that I (and I think most people that play these types of games) would prefer the most literal translation (and we already know that literal translations are impossible), specially when it shows the idiosincracies of the developers. It's a niche game by pretty much default, trying to market it to the wide audience would be more detrimental than just market it to the people that want this type of games.

Again, it's just what I'm worried about, localization and the game feeling "old" (I really don't know how to describe it really). But I'm thinking examples of Nier Automata that felt somewhat stiff, or the new FFXV prompto episode that has some third person mechanics that are quite off. Shenmue being a game that can have a wide range of mechanics, it's certainly a posibility. Again, there is a wide range of what can be considered "old", I don't think any of us expects tank controls anymore.

After that, the game is going to be whatever the game was always going to be (I suppose).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Niowiad » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:28 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: The sound quality is going to be infinitely better, so that'll help a little. I could handle most of the voices, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JEJ5A32icI

I dont think we're risking anything even barely resembling that, which sounds like the result of overcompression in the attempt to annihilate file size.
They supposedly had major storage issues with a game like that in the late 90's.

Oh and sorry I red the message twice now. If you were referring to the quality of acting, as I said earlier I'm pretty positive those same voices could have been just fine with proper care in the editing process, especially timing, which still sounds like the main problem to the whole thing to me :-&
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Postby JohnBlack » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:42 am

Spaghetti wrote: let's play saccah

Actually ive always tought that he says "Let's play, sucka" and its kinda easter egg. So its soccer? :sad:
JohnBlack

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:10 am

JohnBlack wrote:Actually ive always tought that he says "Let's play, sucka" and its kinda easter egg. So its soccer? :sad:

Yep, soccer with a weirdly heavy Boston(?) accent.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 am

They need to get the English voice acting right this time. I found the second game English voices much worst. The first game doesn't bother me much.

The_Intruder has received 2 thanks from: Sonoshee, Spaghetti
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:49 am

Spaghetti wrote: Short answer: Nah.

Long answer: Nah...

:lol:

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Spaghetti, The_Intruder
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:26 pm

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but another fairly recent example of stupid localization

phpBB [video]

it actually changes quite a bit the character.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:40 pm

shredingskin wrote: I know I'm beating a dead horse, but another fairly recent example of stupid localization

phpBB [video]

it actually changes quite a bit the character.

I stayed on chapter 3 I still need to finish the game.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:41 pm

Niowiad wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: The sound quality is going to be infinitely better, so that'll help a little. I could handle most of the voices, but...

I dont think we're risking anything even barely resembling that, which sounds like the result of overcompression in the attempt to annihilate file size.
They supposedly had major storage issues with a game like that in the late 90's.

Oh and sorry I red the message twice now. If you were referring to the quality of acting, as I said earlier I'm pretty positive those same voices could have been just fine with proper care in the editing process, especially timing, which still sounds like the main problem to the whole thing to me :-&

It's also just a really awkward thing for a kid to say to a grown man, let alone several kids. The voice acting is the cherry on top: that nasal, bratty voice that doesn't even really sound like a kid reading lines.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Niowiad » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:56 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:
Niowiad wrote:

It's also just a really awkward thing for a kid to say to a grown man, let alone several kids. The voice acting is the cherry on top: that nasal, bratty voice that doesn't even really sound like a kid reading lines.

More often than not they use adult women to dub children and early-teens... the result is pretty much horrible 95% of the times :king:

Still, to me, in Shenmue nothing sounds worse and more unnatural than those long awkward pauses between lines in dialogues... they seriously did the worst job with that :???:

But again, positive they'll do it right this time around.
Niowiad

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:46 am

Let us hope Shenmue III's voice overs aren't too botchy this time....this next update would be a great time to ease these fears. The originals have a special charm to them, but that kind of charm may do too much harm in today's world.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Verderame » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:53 pm

I definitely think it won't suck.

Will it disappoint though? Yes.

And that's just because there is NO WAY that a game that everyone waited and dreamed about in every possible way for about 17 years will live up to expectations, regardless of how good it wil be.

Most plausible reasons:

1)"Too short"
2)"Open world too empty/not big enough/too few actually explorable cities"
3)"What, did it just end? Where was the Lan Di final battle? Wait, so the story didn't end???"

I think everybody should psychologically prepare themselves about this, because it will be really hard to be rational about this game, and to keep the expectations enoughly in check.
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Thief » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:48 pm

Verderame wrote:keep the expectations enoughly in check.

Fuck that, Shenmue III is the hypest shit ever.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III