Kickstarter Update #69: June Report

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #69: June Report

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:36 am

Kiske wrote: This tweet from Cédric Biscay made me think about something, the other day.

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 6163662849

The licensing issues SEGA may have with the HD remasters mean that Ryo may end wearing a "brand free" watch in Shenmue 3, right? Unless of course, the license issues are solved. I also assume that YsNet isn't in charge of those licensing matters but SEGA is. Last but not least, can we assume that if SEGA addresses the licensing issues for Shenmue HD, it will allow YsNet to use those licensed brands in Shenmue 3 as well?

What do think, thoughts? ( :mrgreen: )

We can't even play the last Outrun that came out because Sega's license with Ferrari ran out. I doubt they're renewing all the licensing so Shenmue 3 can be more like the first two games. Look at my avatar! I'm all right with fake brands. I played the US Shenmue, so my Ryo never got to drink an ice cold Coke.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Kiske » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:52 am

Jibby wrote:
Kiske wrote: Last but not least, can we assume that if SEGA addresses the licensing issues for Shenmue HD, it will allow YsNet to use those licensed brands in Shenmue 3 as well?

Hmm interesting thought, but if I'm honest I don't think SEGA really have any intention to associate or assist with Shenmue III any more than they have to.

Sometimes I wish I could be able to listen to what's going on in SEGA's and YsNet offices. :lol:

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: Jibby, Niowiad, Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Kiske » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:57 am

mjq jazz bar wrote:
Kiske wrote: This tweet from Cédric Biscay made me think about something, the other day.

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 6163662849

The licensing issues SEGA may have with the HD remasters mean that Ryo may end wearing a "brand free" watch in Shenmue 3, right? Unless of course, the license issues are solved. I also assume that YsNet isn't in charge of those licensing matters but SEGA is. Last but not least, can we assume that if SEGA addresses the licensing issues for Shenmue HD, it will allow YsNet to use those licensed brands in Shenmue 3 as well?

We can't even play the last Outrun that came out because Sega's license with Ferrari ran out. I doubt they're renewing all the licensing so Shenmue 3 can be more like the first two games. Look at my avatar! I'm all right with fake brands. I played the US Shenmue, so my Ryo never got to drink an ice cold Coke.

I didn't say that SEGA is trying to remove any licenses issues for the benefit of Shenmue 3.
What I meant is that if SEGA goes around the licenses issues they claim to face with Shenmue HD, this would benefit Shenmue 3 too.
In my opinion, another good reason to hope for those remasters, possibly with the licenced products.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Centrale » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:48 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: Look at my avatar! I'm all right with fake brands. I played the US Shenmue, so my Ryo never got to drink an ice cold Coke.

Personally I think Bell Wood's is a more interesting and charming "brand" than just having a Coca-Cola ad in the game. I have my issues with the GTA series, but one thing I admire is that they've populated their world with fictional brands. They could easily make even more of a fortune by serving ads right in the game world, but fortunately for them the series is a massive hit and they can afford the artistic license of satirizing advertising rather than depending on it. If we eventually find out that it seriously was a Timex license that held up this HD project for years, I'll be hitting the caps lock.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:00 am

For me it sounds more of a desire than a statement. Shenmue's 1 & 2 rights belong to Sega, so I can't see one of these announcements are sadly Shenmue HDs.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby adom11800 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:45 am

Man please can Shenmue HD be announced? We all want nothing but for Shenmue 3 to be a success. If it doesn't happen at gamescom then there's still time, we just have to be patient. It' not the end of the world if it doesn't happen, it's just the wording of 'new announcements' makes me wonder what else is there to announce? A part of me feels I shouldn't get my hopes up as it's not for certain that Shenmue HD will be announced at gamescom. We can only hope.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:39 pm

iyapol wrote: The evolution of the Shenmue logo

Shenmue

Shenmue 2 (DC)

Shenmue 2 (XBOX)

Shenmue 3

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist