Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's at a party

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:21 pm

For the exact wording:

As for anything released at gamescom, it will be made immediately available for the public. No worries there!

I think the key word is released here. The extended trailer hasn't been released. Kinda the opposite, kept captive.

All in all, it's not the biggest deal in the world. They've followed the letter of what they said, even if not exactly the spirit of it, and that's perfectly within their rights. Especially when they do need to play the media game, and give the press something to chew on.

As for it leaking out via phone, if it hasn't already it's not gonna, not by the media or Peter. The only way it would have anyway was if YSnet were okay with it, and if that was the case they could maybe have released the whole thing in the first place. If the media secretly films it, it's a breach of integrity and could get the leaker fired. If Peter films it, it's a breach of the trust of Yu Suzuki so he's obviously not going to do that.

We'll have to live without that extra minute & change for now.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby yuc02 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:35 pm

The banner presentation
Last edited by yuc02 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yuc02
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: yuc2002
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Spaghetti wrote: For the exact wording:

As for anything released at gamescom, it will be made immediately available for the public. No worries there!

I think the key word is released here. The extended trailer hasn't been released. Kinda the opposite, kept captive.

All in all, it's not the biggest deal in the world. They've followed the letter of what they said, even if not exactly the spirit of it, and that's perfectly within their rights. Especially when they do need to play the media game, and give the press something to chew on.

As for it leaking out via phone, if it hasn't already it's not gonna, not by the media or Peter. The only way it would have anyway was if YSnet were okay with it, and if that was the case they could maybe have released the whole thing in the first place. If the media secretly films it, it's a breach of integrity and could get the leaker fired. If Peter films it, it's a breach of the trust of Yu Suzuki so he's obviously not going to do that.

We'll have to live without that extra minute & change for now.

We may get a treat by the end of the year according to what Suzuki San says in this interview:

https://www.gamekult.com/actualite/yu-s ... 97909.html

Tout d'abord, j'aimerais savoir pourquoi vous avez choisi de ne diffuser qu'une version raccourcie de la vidéo que vous venez de me montrer ? Est-ce une question de marketing ou une éventuelle exclusivité pour les soutiens de Kickstarter ?

First of all, I would like to ask why you've decided to publish a short version of the video you have just shown us? Is it a marketing strategy or maybe it's meant to be an exclusivity for the Kickstarter backers?

Il discute un peu avec son traducteur, également responsable de la partie business d'Ys Net, qui prend le relais pour répondre) C'est une bonne question ! Il n'y a pas de raison particulière, honnêtement, mais certaines personnes pensent qu'il est un peu tôt pour montrer la version longue. L'idée derrière ce teaser pour la gamescom était avant tout d'accompagner l'annonce de notre partenariat avec Deep Silver. On voulait surtout montrer qu'on a désormais un meilleur soutien financier, que l'équipe est prête et que le projet avance. Nous sommes restés discret pendant trop longtemps et je trouve qu'il était important de montrer quelque chose pour ce salon, sans que ce soit une véritable stratégie marketing.

Yû Suzuki (en anglais) : Peut-être qu'on va réaliser une version plus peaufinée et plus longue de cette vidéo pour la fin d'année, un vrai trailer promotionnel.

... (I'm not translating the first part since it's basically something Yu did explain already about the fact that the teaser was meant to show they are making progress since they were relatively quiet since then and it was to come with something substancial now that they have signed a deal with Deep Silver.
There are also people within the team who think it's too soon for showing the long version of the trailer.

Yu Suzuki (in English): We may create a longer and more polished version of this video for the end of the year, a real promotional trailer.

Place your bets... PSX, Christmas backer update?

PS. If you are interested in a translation of the rest of this interview, I can do it tomorrow morning ;)

Kiske has received 6 thanks from: Enigma, John Doom, SheepheadCG, Spaghetti, Switch, Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Great interview from Gamekult. Glad they have been authorized to meet Yu.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:54 am

The more translations, the merrier.

A polished version of this trailer might be a good idea tbh. It'd be a good way to shut naysayers up if it looks far better.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:50 am

VG24/7 Yu Suzuki interview:

https://www.vg247.com/2017/08/25/shenmu ... shenmue-4/

A big part of Shenmue 3 for fans is nostalgia. How do you bridge the gap between nostalgic nods and new stuff? The first two games are quite unique in that you really have an all-new cast in each game, but that isn’t so good for nostalgia…

Yeah, this time we will see a lot of new people in the game. But at the same time, you can make a phone call to the characters of Shenmue 1 and 2. When you call those older characters, all of the images come up as your flashback, your memory.

In the form of original screenshots, or new recreations of those scenes?

Movie, a movie from the original.

The environments look fantastic, but there’s been a lot of chatter about the character models this week. What do you have to say to that? Are improvements coming?

You know, to be honest… the faces, they’ve not been properly deployed yet. This is a behind-the-scenes story, but up until a point 2 months ago the face motion has been removed. The developer changed some structure to the bones of the character model, and this caused a problem. Because of the problem, we decided to stop working on face animation for now.

[Suzuki opens his laptop and brings up an internal, unreleased development video showing facial animation tests for Ryo and Shenhua. The animations look fairly decent, and certainly avoid the dead-eyed stares seen in the recent Shenmue footage or Andromeda-style exaggeration.]

This is still the sample model, the older one, but… this is a test. We’re going to make this even better. We’re incorporating about 11 different types of face motion, and we’re working towards that. That will be improved a lot.

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:05 am

Thanks Kiske!

I'm hyped as hell! It's all music to my ears! I think they should promote the game with the polished version of this teaser as well, just to shut up some mouths.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:54 am

Ah, sweet vindication.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby punkmanced » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Kiske wrote: VG24/7 Yu Suzuki interview:

https://www.vg247.com/2017/08/25/shenmu ... shenmue-4/

But at the same time, you can make a phone call to the characters of Shenmue 1 and 2. When you call those older characters, all of the images come up as your flashback, your memory.

In the form of original screenshots, or new recreations of those scenes?

Movie, a movie from the original.

Could this mean that the "phone call option" is being implemented into the core game?
Meaning, is it no longer a backer-exclusive mechanic?

Interesting.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Hm... that's a point.

I'm all for it being made available to all players, but I can understand this is a PR hiccup in the making.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby GameHacKeR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:19 pm

I believe the phone should be made available for everyone.
GameHacKeR
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Valascaziel » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:12 pm

I think my(and my others') prediction of a Shenmue III true promotional video on a big stage, Shenmue HD, FFVII-R..

I think PSX is our time for vindication. I want it to look so good that fucktard at Kotaku resigns in shame.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:15 pm

GameHacKeR wrote: I believe the phone should be made available for everyone.

Yeah, I’m all for it actually.

Ultimately, everyone would benefit from this, as it directly influences the game rather “significantly”. Meaning, it isn’t just some outfit change or superficial gimmick, but a rather unique experience that brings added depth to the playthrough whilst enhancing the connection to the original games.

This would be even more of a treat for those of us who plan on purchasing multiple copies of S3 in the future (e.g. backups; gifts; PC archival).
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 am

New interview by Multiplayer.it

If I rely on Google Translate:

- YSnet is targeting 3D character models with a "significantly higher" complexity than what we saw in the teaser. Multiplayer.it actually saw these models although they did not have textures.

- The extended trailer shows classic QTEs and Ryo playing mini-games such a pinball and a cabin similar to Fighting Mania.

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:51 am

Yokosuka wrote: New interview by Multiplayer.it

If I rely on Google Translate:

- YSnet is targeting 3D character models with a "significantly higher" complexity than what we saw in the teaser. Multiplayer.it actually saw these models although they did not have textures.

- The extended trailer shows classic QTEs and Ryo playing mini-games such a pinball and a cabin similar to Fighting Mania.

EXCITING NEWS !!

I faith that Yu Suzuki and the team will settle for nothing less than a masterpiece of a magnum opus.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III