Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

Postby staplepuffs27 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Centrale wrote: What I wonder about the pinball is, what sort of era does it reflect? At that time, circa '87, there were some very advanced pinball machines with extremely elaborate gameplay systems. Of course, there were also decades of earlier machines, and showcasing an older type of pinball game could fit in well with the nostalgic feelings that YS wants to evoke.
Pinball has such a rich history that I think would fit very well in with Shenmue. I believe we will see late-80s machines to reflect the time period. Those would have also been the machines that stood next to Suzuki's early arcade games. By 1987, designers were beginning to perfect the solid state games you would see in that era. There's some classics like Taxi, F-14 Tomcat, and High Speed.

I imagine we'll see unlicensed machines based on that era, but games from the 60s might be easier to do as well.
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Interview by GameCentral for Metro.co.uk

The style of control from the original game is one thing that will be updated, but that is natural given modern controllers and the advance of that type of technology.

At the moment we are trying to keep it to 30% new and the keep the other 70% of the game similar to the original

[...]as you know we have now partnered with Deep Silver. So I’m now comfortable in saying, ‘Don’t worry, I can make the whole game you imagined!’

about the story:
I needed to pick up some of the elements of the original games to please fans, but other elements have become changed or removed. I adapt the story to fit the modern era and to my own changing influences.

Yokosuka has received 3 thanks from: KidMarine, Kiske, punkmanced
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Might be best to post (almost) the full quote about the story for a better context. It doesn't sound unlike the process of redrafting when Yu adapted the game story from the novels.

But even with Shenmue II we had taken elements from chapters four, five, and six; while removing chapter three completely. So while the basic outline has always remained constant it has never been the case that we stick too rigidly to the initial plan.

When we started to work on Shenmue III I realised I needed to pick up some of the elements of the original games to please fans, but other elements have become changed or removed. I adapt the story to fit the modern era and to my own changing influences. But also I have to make sure that it is a good fit for Shenmue. So certain aspects of the story have remained constant but Shenmue III has become a new game over time.

So I guess, to answer your question, original elements directly exist but I’m converging and adjusting to make a modern game for today.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby VukBZ2005 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Centrale wrote: What I wonder about the pinball is, what sort of era does it reflect? At that time, circa '87, there were some very advanced pinball machines with extremely elaborate gameplay systems. Of course, there were also decades of earlier machines, and showcasing an older type of pinball game could fit in well with the nostalgic feelings that YS wants to evoke.

Going off of China's level of economic development in the 1980's, I'd say a pinball machine of 1960's-70's make would be predominant in a mountain town like Choubu.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Awesome meeting everyone at Gamescom17 Had a great time!

Snoopbob2006 has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Postby ys » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Peter wrote:I am not kidding, I don't remember forklifts at all, or even a pinball machine so I am completely stumped on that one. There could have been!!!, I just don't remember lol

I saw a few of them though.
Just outside of the hall ;)

Snoopbob2006 wrote: Awesome meeting everyone at Gamescom17 Had a great time!

It's unfortunate that I couldn't stay for some drinks in the evening. Did you visit the meet and greet on Thursday maybe?

ys has received a thanks from: Snoopbob2006
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Metro.co.uk

[...]as you know we have now partnered with Deep Silver. So I’m now comfortable in saying, ‘Don’t worry, I can make the whole game you imagined!’

*drops mic*

All I needed to hear.

The Shenmue III of dreams can now finally be fully realized.

The master, Yu Suzuki-sama, has spoken.
Last edited by ShenmueLegacy on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShenmueLegacy has received 3 thanks from: iyapol, KidMarine, VukBZ2005
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kiske » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:00 am

Maybe Bluemue or another German speaking user can do a quick check on this Yu Suzuki interview if needed, in the meantime, here's a google translation of Suzuki San interview by Spieletester.com

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

Spieletester.com: How does it feel to finally work on Shenmue again and complete the series?

Yu Suzuki: [laughs] Fantastic. Like new born, I tell you.

But no one of us speaks more about Shenmue III's conclusion. If I am honest, I have already thought about finishing my work on the series after III. But because of the huge interest of the fans, the new collaboration with Deep Silver / Koch Media and the multitude of ideas that I have now, this is no longer enough for a single game. That is why I decided to continue.

Spieletester.com: You have already indicated that Chai is returning. Can you give us more information on his return today?

Yu Suzuki: You're also one of the Chai fans, right?

Spieletester.com: Definitely!

Yu Suzuki: I love Chai also (directly translated from: チ ャ イ が も 大好 き). Chai wanted to go with the Chi You Men and therefore contacted the leader of this group to join them. As you surely know, he still has to settle an open account with Ryo after being beaten twice by him.

As you see here on this artwork [ d. Editor: Concept Artworks for Backers], we have also significantly increased the graphics quality of the characters. They look very credible.

Spieletester.com: Do the same artists work on the characters like Shenmue 1 and 2? Shenhua looks a little more cute than before, but still has the same unmistakable look.

Yu Suzuki: We have definitely retained some of the old guard, but a large part of the team has been reintroduced. Because you're talking about Shenhua, we've been able to win the same person who created Shenhua in parts 1 and 2. Thanks to him, she now looks better than before. Well recognized!

Spieletester.com: Can you speak a little bit about Romances in Shenmue III?

Yu Suzuki: Unfortunately, not yet. I have been inspired by different sources, but I can not give any concrete details. So much I can say: she is deeply rooted in the game's history and plays a big role.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:15 am

And what movies have you seen lately?
YS: Mad Max, the new one! I liked it very much.

He has really good tastes.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:07 am

ys wrote:
Peter wrote:I am not kidding, I don't remember forklifts at all, or even a pinball machine so I am completely stumped on that one. There could have been!!!, I just don't remember lol

I saw a few of them though.
Just outside of the hall ;)

Snoopbob2006 wrote: Awesome meeting everyone at Gamescom17 Had a great time!

It's unfortunate that I couldn't stay for some drinks in the evening. Did you visit the meet and greet on Thursday maybe?

I know it would of been great if you could of stuck around. We went and checked it out on Thursday it was also very busy with Shenmue Fans which was great!
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:28 am

Well catching up on this thread for the first time in over a week has been quite the trip. :)

Just two subjects I want to comment on:

I really love the idea of pinball machines for mini-games. I don't care how faithful they are to the region or period - I suspect there'll be some compromise there for the sake of prioritising fun. But it's a great opportunity to shoehorn in a little fan service, throwing in references to duck racing, etc, on the table and perhaps even incorporating QTEs for bonuses. Bags of potential here to kill many birds with one stone, if they choose to go that route.

Regarding phone calls, I imagine the backers who chose this reward on Kickstarter will still receive exclusive conversations with the characters, while most players will only have those crucial to understanding the plot so far.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: Kiske, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:05 am

That's a possibility looking fair regarding the international phone calls.

I do agree about pinball. Lot of possibilities there.
What if the DLC mentioned during Gamescom are new tables with themes related to the original games? :D
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Had a great time at Gamescom. I met Yu Suzuki and got his autograph, even talked to him for a brief moment. Really an unforgettable day.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: Had a great time at Gamescom. I met Yu Suzuki and got his autograph, even talked to him for a brief moment. Really an unforgettable day.

Great to hear. What were you talking about?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:11 am

Just found a Dutch interview of Yu Suzuki from Gamescom.

Nothing really new according to the google translation, but for those interested.

Translated by google: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

Original article: https://www.xgn.nl/shenmue-3-release-in ... -yu-suzuki

The Character Perspective system

The previous Shenmue games were only played in single player, but nowadays most games still have a multiplayer or co-op mode. According to Suzuki, Shenmue 3 will focus on the single player again, but players can get started with a new feature:

"Shenmue 3 is a single player game, it does not have network features, but there are certain events that can change the playable character. We call this feature the Character Perspective system."

Normally you play Shenmue 3 as Ryo, but at some times you can switch to other characters like Ren or Shenhua. During such events, the outcome of the situation remains the same, but the way you achieve this outcome may change depending on the character you choose.

"For example, Ryo is a strong fighter, when he faces an enemy, he will fight with them directly, but Ren may use another weapon. Shenhua can not fight, so she uses her brains and ignores tactics. Ultimately, you achieve the same goal. That's the concept. "

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Switch, Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III