Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's at a party

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:43 pm

Yokosuka wrote:According Yu Suzuki, the main story will take 20 hours to finish. Add 20 another hours to complete the secondary quests.

Awesome. That's about in line with the rest of the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: mue 26
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby staplepuffs27 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Peter wrote: I'm gettin far too old for this shit. I haven't slept in 2 days and the amount of stuff that the human brain has to take in, I just can't manage at the moment. How people do this for a living I do not know.

I tried to keep up with the community as a whole these past 48 hours, but with being here and trying to update the Dojos social media it's been a hard task and I'd say live missed 90% of it all. I know about the negative backlash though. I think even Suzuki-san knows too. He keeps saying "environments good, character temporary". I said it on NeoGaf in a post I am far too tired to dig up. But seriously, criticize all you want. I am not blind to see the issues with the characters. But where is the patience. Where is the 4, Wude. You are not helping the already unwinnable position Suzuki-san is in. He is damned if he does and he is damned if he doesn't. The game is not ready yet and with any other normal game in development, so you shouldn't even see this stuff. But with every Kickstarter update, it's the same comments if they are not showing enough, we want more. We want a trailer. Really, you sure you want a trailer now at this stage of development? Ok here you go, and bam, it is still as bad a reaction as ever. It's an unwinnable battle the man has to face, and I feel sorry for him.

I literally don't know what to do anymore in trying to steer you guys towards the things I am seeing and the things I hear. It's a waste of time. I do honestly give up at this stage. Not singling out any one comment, its just gotten to the stage where I have no words anymore. The negativity has gone from critical to venomous and toxic. Hey, that's people's right, you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion of that though is just one of sadness rather than anger and confrontation now.
I, for one, am very happy with the progress being made. And I'm also thankful for your contributions to the community. I've been following your social media coverage for the duration of Gamescom so far, and it's brought a smile to my face. I've also seen a good amount of positive feedback outside the Shenmue community (casual onlookers), so there is good reception aside from the loud complaints. Keep it up! I know it can get frustrating, but it will all be worth it in the end...
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:47 pm

http://kotaku.com/actually-the-shenmue- ... 1798323180

lol

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Trying to steer people into something always leads to distrust. If the game is not ready and still lacking in some areas, there is no point in pretending everything is great and losing moral over every piece of criticism.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, RootyKazooty
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Senpai Gamer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote: http://kotaku.com/actually-the-shenmue- ... 1798323180

lol

Hahaha LOL
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX

Postby SheepheadCG » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:59 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote: http://kotaku.com/actually-the-shenmue- ... 1798323180

lol

lol That is actually fucking hilarious! Very big props to this writer for her having the guts to do a counter article against one of her colleagues on the same site haha Classic!

SheepheadCG has received 2 thanks from: Senpai Gamer, Telekill
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 pm

"the Shenmue III trailer is a perfect distillation of what the series has always wanted to be."

Love your text Alexandra but I had to laugh at this :lol:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:09 pm

Peter wrote: I'm gettin far too old for this shit. I haven't slept in 2 days and the amount of stuff that the human brain has to take in, I just can't manage at the moment. How people do this for a living I do not know.

I tried to keep up with the community as a whole these past 48 hours, but with being here and trying to update the Dojos social media it's been a hard task and I'd say live missed 90% of it all. I know about the negative backlash though. I think even Suzuki-san knows too. He keeps saying "environments good, character temporary". I said it on NeoGaf in a post I am far too tired to dig up. But seriously, criticize all you want. I am not blind to see the issues with the characters. But where is the patience. Where is the 4, Wude. You are not helping the already unwinnable position Suzuki-san is in. He is damned if he does and he is damned if he doesn't. The game is not ready yet and with any other normal game in development, so you shouldn't even see this stuff. But with every Kickstarter update, it's the same comments if they are not showing enough, we want more. We want a trailer. Really, you sure you want a trailer now at this stage of development? Ok here you go, and bam, it is still as bad a reaction as ever. It's an unwinnable battle the man has to face, and I feel sorry for him.

I literally don't know what to do anymore in trying to steer you guys towards the things I am seeing and the things I hear. It's a waste of time. I do honestly give up at this stage. Not singling out any one comment, its just gotten to the stage where I have no words anymore. The negativity has gone from critical to venomous and toxic. Hey, that's people's right, you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion of that though is just one of sadness rather than anger and confrontation now.

Hopefully your supposition is wrong about Yu deeply affected by that.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby squall » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Peter wrote:It's an unwinnable battle the man has to face, and I feel sorry for him.

Absolutely with you here. My least favorite thing about all this mess is thinking of Yu getting discouraged. I know the man has been patient and perservered over the last 16 years, but it has to be frustrating to hear some of the backlash (constructive criticism is one thing - even with a work in progress - but the hate/toxicity/unreasonable idiocy...). As a fan, I can ignore a lot of it pretty easily. As the creator of the game who has devoted (along with his team of course) countless sleepless nights over the last couple years getting the game to look as good as it does (which I'm overall very happy and excited about), I'm sure it's much more difficult to ignore. Honestly, I probably won't bother giving them feedback on the logo, because I don't think it's worth it to distract him over. If he is happy with the newest one, I think I'm willing to just give in. It's not going to affect the in-game experience.

I know you will, given the chance, let Suzuki-san know how grateful MOST of us are for his tireless efforts. I could go on, but really, I just hope he knows that most (at least I hope most) of the Shenmue fanbase is still very happy and has faith in him. I want him to be happy with his game, he deserves it. From the looks of it, I'll be quite pleased as well (even if I'm not 100% loving everything about how things look in a WIP).

squall has received 5 thanks from: Enigma, John Doom, Senpai Gamer, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
squall
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Peter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Yokosuka wrote:Hopefully your supposition is wrong about Yu deeply affected by that.

I hope so too, and I don't hate you or KillTheSaga or Technophilz I try to respect everyone's opinion (sometimes not doing a great job) Even when it's the opposite to mine. It's great to see passion. But it's very hard now to read not the comments in their context but to me, what now seems to be a complete lack of faith in this game, which is ironic since this game has been built on faith. I said I see the issues with the character models, anyone can. But the multiple comments from myself, other community members and even Yu himself that they are temporary and a work in progress that falls on deaf ears is what's discouraging. All of the "model" backlash will not be in the final game, but right now, I can't see any faith in that. It feels like there are so few left now trying our hardest to keep morale and faith high, like James and the Tweetathon csmpaign, the 500k team trying to keep the positivity high, and David and the Shenmuemaster guys keeping those strong French relationships in tact to name but a few. But it's getting so hard now, at least for me.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Technophilz, VukBZ2005, Yokosuka
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Thief » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Just got back from a two month bit of being away from my home town, so happy to come home to this trailer! Environments look amazing! Super stoked right now, game looks like it's going to be great.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 pm

20 hours of side-quests ??

Shenmue had some side stuff to do, and different ways to tackle certain points/investigations, not much sidequests per se (even the duck racing is mostly a secret than a sidequest).

How do you think this side content will be implemented ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:41 pm

shredingskin wrote: 20 hours of side-quests ??

Shenmue had some side stuff to do, and different ways to tackle certain points/investigations, not much sidequests per se (even the duck racing is mostly a secret than a sidequest).

Phantasy Star II on Genesis?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Chaikilla » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:58 pm

shredingskin wrote: 20 hours of side-quests ??

This is more wishful thinking on my part but maybe certain conversation paths with Shenhua (or other characters for that matter) trigger flashbacks to certain events. For example, while talking about his trip to Hong kong, if Ryo picks a certain option it will trigger a flashback to the boat chapter, which we will then be allowed to play through. When I first heard about the character perspective system, I always (foolishly) imagined something like this.

40 hours of gameplay sounds great. Especially when you consider the fact that it won't be necessary for the game to load every time you enter a shop or a house.

Chaikilla has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, VukBZ2005
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby code l name » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:27 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Trying to steer people into something always leads to distrust. If the game is not ready and still lacking in some areas, there is no point in pretending everything is great and losing moral over every piece of criticism.

Very well put.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III