Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Two Weeks Left

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:17 pm

We can expect more than MAGIC. Not even going to add the "but I could be wrong" disclaimer on that one.

Even ignoring that the MAGIC showing was over 18 months ago now, Gamescom has a different dynamic. There's a professional expectation from the media that YSnet has to bring something worth covering.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:27 pm

True that.

Anyway, my biggest concern isn't how much of the game we will see at Gamescom. Even if they don't show off all that much now, they'll end up doing it eventually, further down the road.
My concern is: what if, after 15 years of despair and then, after E3 2015's glorious news, the game looks like... crap? *Knock on wood*

For sure, I'm optimistic that it won't. The game is still in Yu Suzuki's hands, after all, and my conviction is that we'll be blown away and cry tears of joy.
But, just knowing that, theoretically, the game could look like crap (and I'm not just talking about graphics, but rather the game itself, overall) is a scary thought.
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Well, that's a more complicated matter.

Straight out the gate; nobody should expect something that 100% satisfies the fanbase. Somebody will always find a gripe.

What's important, IMO, is not automatically thinking change is bad. I've kept myself open to changes, and generally felt myself more pleased with things as a result. You know, just suppressing that gag reflex of "it's different, so I hate it".

Like the more stylised approach to art, for example. It's different from the more realism-slanted approach of the Dreamcast games, but it's still providing us with the distinct NPCs full of personality the series is known for. In fact, the 3D models staying closer to the 2D design work might heighten that element overall. We've not even seen the NPCs properly animated and already there's a lot of character coming through just from how they look.

I think a lot of the changes and decisions YSnet are making will dig past the surface of the Dreamcast games, but keep the core ideas and values with a fresh outlook.

It's kind of like what we know about Shenmue III's combat. It's essentially being remade, but with the same goals that were used to develop the original combat style and make it distinct from Virtua Fighter. In DEVILLE_David's interview with Yu from October 2015, he just outright admitted the combat stretch goals were based on things already achieved in the Dreamcast games, but would be far more advanced.

The proof is in the pudding, but y'know. I think there's a lot that's promising about Shenmue III already. It's just now finding out if YSnet have been able to follow up on the things said during early development, and fulfil the potential the game has.

Just don't lose your nut if some stuff is different and you'll be fine, IMO.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:12 pm

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote: True that.

Anyway, my biggest concern isn't how much of the game we will see at Gamescom. Even if they don't show off all that much now, they'll end up doing it eventually, further down the road.
My concern is: what if, after 15 years of despair and then, after E3 2015's glorious news, the game looks like... crap? *Knock on wood*

For sure, I'm optimistic that it won't. The game is still in Yu Suzuki's hands, after all, and my conviction is that we'll be blown away and cry tears of joy.
But, just knowing that, theoretically, the game could look like crap (and I'm not just talking about graphics, but rather the game itself, overall) is a scary thought.

Coming from someone who has seen the game and who's jaw hitting the floor was captured in photographic form, I can absolutely assure you that's not the case at all. Far.... Far from it.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:47 pm

Peter wrote:
O Rei do Frango Assado wrote: True that.

Coming from someone who has seen the game and who's jaw hitting the floor was captured in photographic form, I can absolutely assure you that's not the case at all. Far.... Far from it.

:D
Well, this week will seem like an eternity...
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Centrale » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:48 pm

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:Well, this week will seem like an eternity...

I know it seems that way, right? If possible, everyone should take a few moments to try and enjoy this particular period of time and the uncertainty and anticipation of it. I wonder what it will be like when the game is revealed. I have a lot of hopes, a few worries. It truly is a time of wonder. Here we are, in it, right now - at perhaps the absolute apex of anticipation. It's a special time and some day, it will be as long ago as the DC days.

Centrale has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Non troll post:

I do expect we will see videos of gameplay mechanics. I do not expect to see any actual story trailers or anything though. I think YSnet is keeping story stuff like that super close to their vest and will only show if off near release.

I think we might see things like

1. How the fighting system works, via a clip fighting with random thugs
2. How fishing /mini games/jobs work
3. How flashbacks look. Since showing this off will not spoil anything from Shenmue 3 while still giving an idea of how the game looks visually.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:18 am

I wonder if they already have sound effects and if they show the new model of Ryo (they should) if Corey recorded some lines to play them in this clips. Or maybe they show the new Ryo fighting against some thugs and play some music in the background.

Whatever way I think about it, if Suzuki goes there it means they are showing something big, not just something like magic Monaco.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Peter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:16 am

But Yu Suzuki was at Monaco.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:30 am

Oh, that's true, I forgot about it.

Well, in any case, this time the way they announce it is bigger and louder than in magic, this is the re reveal, this must be their time.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Peter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:44 am

I don't think anything really matters except the progression of time. I'd say this will be better than Monaco, but only because it's been 18 months since then. That's a long time developing content. In another 18 months time.... Well the game will be out, so say E3 next year, the content will be bigger and better again. It's just the progression of time.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Steenkoud » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 am

There will be some big announcements. Why else would they visit Gamescon?
Steenkoud
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:45 am

Peter wrote: I don't think anything really matters except the progression of time. I'd say this will be better than Monaco, but only because it's been 18 months since then. That's a long time developing content. In another 18 months time.... Well the game will be out, so say E3 next year, the content will be bigger and better again. It's just the progression of time.

Yep.

For context, it's also going to be around 14 months since the footage you saw in Japan was cut together (if I'm remembering right that you were told it was from June 2016).

Hopefully everybody is in for a surprise next week.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - ONE WEEK LEFT

Postby Peter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:36 pm

For anyone who thinks the budget will be a major issue and affect the look, quality and size of Shenmue 3, give Hellblade a try. It's a AAA indie title with around the same dev costs minus promotion and distribution which we have from Sony. If you think this will be a 2 hour, 3 areas the size of Yamanose type game then you are in for a real surprise.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - ONE WEEK LEFT

Postby darksniper » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Knowing the fact we'll be seeing Shenmue III for the first time sends chills down my spine. It's a great time to be alive
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III