Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Two Weeks Left

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:39 am

Spaghetti wrote: Well, that's a more complicated matter.

Straight out the gate; nobody should expect something that 100% satisfies the fanbase. Somebody will always find a gripe.

What's important, IMO, is not automatically thinking change is bad. I've kept myself open to changes, and generally felt myself more pleased with things as a result. You know, just suppressing that gag reflex of "it's different, so I hate it".

Like the more stylised approach to art, for example. It's different from the more realism-slanted approach of the Dreamcast games, but it's still providing us with the distinct NPCs full of personality the series is known for. In fact, the 3D models staying closer to the 2D design work might heighten that element overall. We've not even seen the NPCs properly animated and already there's a lot of character coming through just from how they look.

I think a lot of the changes and decisions YSnet are making will dig past the surface of the Dreamcast games, but keep the core ideas and values with a fresh outlook.

It's kind of like what we know about Shenmue III's combat. It's essentially being remade, but with the same goals that were used to develop the original combat style and make it distinct from Virtua Fighter. In DEVILLE_David's interview with Yu from October 2015, he just outright admitted the combat stretch goals were based on things already achieved in the Dreamcast games, but would be far more advanced.

The proof is in the pudding, but y'know. I think there's a lot that's promising about Shenmue III already. It's just now finding out if YSnet have been able to follow up on the things said during early development, and fulfil the potential the game has.

Just don't lose your nut if some stuff is different and you'll be fine, IMO.

I think you're specifically talking about the cartoony look of that steroids guy we saw in that KS update and the negative reaction it got from many people.
Yeah, I must say was one of those people who didn't like the look AT ALL. Then again, you are right when you say that we should embrace change and not have a kind of negative knee-jerk reaction to it. However, I must admit I've always been an overall change-averse guy in my life, which I realize is not a good thing, but that's just the way I am.

Now, of course I expect changes in Shenmue 3. After all, the last game was released 16 years ago on the Dreamcast. And I do not want a Dreamcast game in 2017. I do want things to evolve, after all. Besides, that will be the positive side of us having to wait such a long time: Shenmue 3 will be much more advanced than it would have been, if it had been released for the Dreamcast back then.
Having said that, one of the reasons I really dislike that character's look is because Shenmue was very focused on realism. Real-world cities, with crazy attention to detail, real-world based weather (for Yokosuka, at least), realistic routines for NPCs (who felt just like regular, real-world people), true-to-life streets, shops, real-world product brands (well, in the Japanese version)... So, the whole thing always had a very "real" feel to it.
Not only that, but the previous two games already had a realistic aesthetic and, since this is just one continuous saga, I think aesthetic consistency should be important. It would look odd, if all of a sudden, when we dive back again into Shenmue's world, we find it to be all cartoony. It's not like, say, Final Fantasy, where each installment is a whole new thing, in a different world with new characters and new mechanics.
Not only that, but the screenshots we've seen of the game's setting (Bailu Village, that temple entrance etc.) actually look pretty damn realistic (though with stylized, exaggerated colours, which is fine and expected in a videogame), so I really don't see how a bunch of cartoony, manga-like characters will fit in those environments.

Again, of course characters will have to look different, this being PS4 and all, but they should be consistent with the previous' games realistic aesthetic (which I'm sure is easier said than done and that's probably why they're taking such a long time to show us the final version of Ryo and Shenhua's faces).

However, I realize that that steroids guy was still a work-in-progress model and that even the previous Shenmue games had some cartoony-looking, over-the-top NPCs and side characters, so it doesn't mean that everyone will look cartoony and I'll hold my judgement for now.

Having said that, maybe that will be the look they're going for and, if that's the case, I'll just have to come to grips with it. After all, Shenmue is Yu Suzuki's creation and if this is what he wants to do, then he has the right to do it and I'll just have to get used to it, because, obviously, I'm still going to play Shenmue 3 anyway (even if I hadn't already paid for it).
It is as you say, Spaghetti. If, even with a different approach to aesthetic, the game still keeps its core values and spirit, I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it, even if it takes me some time.

Peter wrote:For anyone who thinks the budget will be a major issue and affect the look, quality and size of Shenmue 3, give Hellblade a try. It's a AAA indie title with around the same dev costs minus promotion and distribution which we have from Sony. If you think this will be a 2 hour, 3 areas the size of Yamanose type game then you are in for a real surprise.

Agreed.
Another game that I've mentioned a couple of times before, here in the forums, is Kingdom Come: Deliverance, developed by Warhorse Studios. That game reminds me so much of Shenmue, due to its incredible ambition and crazy dedication to realism and attention to detail. Really, everyone here should check out Warhorse Studios' videos on Youtube. That game is basically Shenmue in the Middle Ages.
Anyway, Kingdom Come: Deliverance was also funded through Kickstarter and, after some additional crowdfunding, the game got around 2 million dollars, if I'm not mistaken. That's way less than Shenmue 3 and yet it's looking really impressive already (though if it'll end up being any good is a different story). Plus, it won't just come out for PC and PS4, it will also be released on the Xbox One. So, that's extra work and money needed, when compared to Shenmue 3.
So, yeah, I don't really think Shenmue 3's budget will only be enough for some kind of indie-like (i.e. shitty-looking, feature-poor) Shenmue, as I've read some people saying.
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - ONE WEEK LEFT

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:55 am

Well, we've seen mr muscles out of the game and still in progress, with the correct light, textures and ingame this could be another story.

I don't like changes in general neither but here we are talking about Shenmue and Suzuki, I bet every change is for a good reason and as you said, in previous Shenmues there were several npc a bit with no so realistic style and fine by everybody.

Less than a week! I don't wat to get too hyped, just in case, but the idea of seeing Shenmue 3 "for the first time" and what does Ryo look like in this new iteration makes me dream about it all day!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:43 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:I think you're specifically talking about the cartoony look of that steroids guy we saw in that KS update and the negative reaction it got from many people.

Yeah, I must say was one of those people who didn't like the look AT ALL. Then again, you are right when you say that we should embrace change and not have a kind of negative knee-jerk reaction to it. However, I must admit I've always been an overall change-averse guy in my life, which I realize is not a good thing, but that's just the way I am.

Now, of course I expect changes in Shenmue 3. After all, the last game was released 16 years ago on the Dreamcast. And I do not want a Dreamcast game in 2017. I do want things to evolve, after all. Besides, that will be the positive side of us having to wait such a long time: Shenmue 3 will be much more advanced than it would have been, if it had been released for the Dreamcast back then.

Having said that, one of the reasons I really dislike that character's look is because Shenmue was very focused on realism. Real-world cities, with crazy attention to detail, real-world based weather (for Yokosuka, at least), realistic routines for NPCs (who felt just like regular, real-world people), true-to-life streets, shops, real-world product brands (well, in the Japanese version)... So, the whole thing always had a very "real" feel to it.

Not only that, but the previous two games already had a realistic aesthetic and, since this is just one continuous saga, I think aesthetic consistency should be important. It would look odd, if all of a sudden, when we dive back again into Shenmue's world, we find it to be all cartoony. It's not like, say, Final Fantasy, where each installment is a whole new thing, in a different world with new characters and new mechanics.

Not only that, but the screenshots we've seen of the game's setting (Bailu Village, that temple entrance etc.) actually look pretty damn realistic (though with stylized, exaggerated colours, which is fine and expected in a videogame), so I really don't see how a bunch of cartoony, manga-like characters will fit in those environments.

Again, of course characters will have to look different, this being PS4 and all, but they should be consistent with the previous' games realistic aesthetic (which I'm sure is easier said than done and that's probably why they're taking such a long time to show us the final version of Ryo and Shenhua's faces).

However, I realize that that steroids guy was still a work-in-progress model and that even the previous Shenmue games had some cartoony-looking, over-the-top NPCs and side characters, so it doesn't mean that everyone will look cartoony and I'll hold my judgement for now.

Having said that, maybe that will be the look they're going for and, if that's the case, I'll just have to come to grips with it. After all, Shenmue is Yu Suzuki's creation and if this is what he wants to do, then he has the right to do it and I'll just have to get used to it, because, obviously, I'm still going to play Shenmue 3 anyway (even if I hadn't already paid for it).

It is as you say, Spaghetti. If, even with a different approach to aesthetic, the game still keeps its core values and spirit, I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it, even if it takes me some time.

At this stage, it might just be better to accept that the models are not going to change drastically. There will inevitably be tweaks, as models in the originals were tweaked right up until near release, but the art style is basically set.

It all depends how you feel about those other NPCs revealed in the end of June update. They're a lot more restrained than muscle-guy, but there's still an obvious stylised aspect to their design. If you're okay with those, you'll probably be okay with 99% of the NPCs.

As for the environments, well, we haven't seen the full package yet. In fact we've seen more of the character models recently than the game world. After Gamescom's showing you'll probably know where you stand on the matter, but I don't really think we've got much to worry about.

Not long to go now.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:04 am

Spaghetti wrote:
It all depends how you feel about those other NPCs revealed in the end of June update.

Did I forget something ?

EDIT: Now I remember, but those weren't even textured.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 am

Whooah whooah whoah I'm On a 4hr+ train journey and I started hyperventilating when I saw all of this. I was NOT mentally prepared for all this! XD

Anyway, I don't know why and it all sounds really hyperbolic, but my heart was really racing see all this, I had to take many deep breaths.

Just as with the npc's, what I see looks great, but they shouldn't be judged in isolation, we could scrutinise the shenmue npc's and even the main cast in shenmue 1 and 2 if we just observed as is, but the brilliance of the game itself puts the work into making it all immersive. That to me is why shenmue stands the test of time especially compared to many other 3D games during that era.

I don't know why but seeing some of the reactions online is legit making me feel a physical sense of pain. It's a huge deal to see this art and see things taking shape, but I need to remember to see that this is all WIP too, we're still a long time away, we can use this opportunity to find out more and understand development. I'm just super super desperate to see the gameplay right now and see everything in motion and exploration around the environment, that is what defines shenmue to me.

The other thing is: I don't know if it's just me, but does the newness of the super rural Chinese setting and the great Wall of China give you HUGE chills? I'm getting the feels big time, because of the continuation and the uncertainty that it comes with it.

Really feeling exhausted seeing those comments though, it's a reminder for me to pause reading the comments from these blogs/forums (outside of here) for a while, at least until after we know more after gamescom or seen more consistency in news.

Also, to anyone (not here, just what I've seen written on other websites) that this all "destroys" their views of the "masterpieces" that are shenmue 1 and 2, chill the heck out we haven't seen much (and all the snippets they've shown prior was amazing, so that should still count for something), those games will always be amazing in their own right (and we've witnessed all this with the streams recently just in case anyone forgot). Please don't be a wally and pull the trigger on the basis of early cover art without seeing much else.

One thing someone brought up is if there is Sega-related tie-ins for capsule toys/arcades etc. If there isn't that's an acceptable loss for me, just given the setting I'm more than content with the QTE/boxing mini games etc. There are many other creative ways to go about doing that stuff. I am interested to hear more about this though as time goes on...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more, remember folks they'll be there in person and can/will make adjustments based on general feedback, it's always hard for anyone to anticipate what needs changing until it's out in there open, we're just getting started and let's see how next week goes.

I know it's hard, I wished these images could've complimented the gameplay for a more impactful first impressions but let's acknowledge it'll be a bumpy ride to launch and we're okay.

I was only anxious from the early reactions of others and the media and seeing everything all at once but I am really really excited with what's shown and what's yet to come!

P.s. not understanding the deep silver hate, literally every game I bought this year was published/distributed by them, so they seem to be publishing games I like!

P.p.s okay so looking into it people are bringing up MN9 advert and a low stock of units for previous Sega games at launch (the former was just unfortunate, uncreative marketing. I admit the latter was a problem when ordering dreamfall and yakuza for me and some others in the UK as the units were limited and weren't sent on time so I got them two weeks after launch, but how does that make them bad? I'm sure they'll prepare things appropriately for next time, and long as they're supporting the game this level of hate towards them seems a little ungrateful of people to point out imo, especially knob heads who are attributing the score of 6/10 for it...

Update: missed my second train with all this absorption of info, need to wait 50mins for the next one to come... crap. I'm in a dazed state right now, not aware of what's happening around me xD sorry on the wall of text, big day!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

FlagshipFighter has received 4 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Spaghetti, Switch, VukBZ2005
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:05 am

Going to the Great Wall is a huge surprise. Doesn't seem part of the Bailu/Choubu/Baisha environment either so it could be an interluding area like the forest outside Bailu. Shenmue III could be bigger than any of us think.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Okay today has possibly been the worst day I've ever had. Everything that went wrong really went wrong :( thankfully I'm safe and sleeping it off will help. just catching up on the way back home.

To the point: I'm truly thankful you doods made my day better with all your insights and thoughts on today's news earlier and later today, the passion is real!

I just sent the picture of Ryo to my nephew and he was amazed by it, another friend of mine was confused and thought I just sent him the OG shenmue 1 image as he couldn't tell the difference lol!

So stoked for more, bring on next week!

Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlagshipFighter has received 3 thanks from: KidMarine, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:05 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:another friend of mine was confused and thought I just sent him the OG shenmue 1 image as he couldn't tell the difference lol!

*feels self-satisfied*

I TOLD YOU ALL. I TOLD YOU ALL THE NEW MODEL IS BASED ON THE GAME MODEL IN THE FIRST SHENMUE. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Okay so one person thinking that is not a robust case study, but I'll take it.

Next week cannot come soon enough.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote:another friend of mine was confused and thought I just sent him the OG shenmue 1 image as he couldn't tell the difference lol!

*feels self-satisfied*

I TOLD YOU ALL. I TOLD YOU ALL THE NEW MODEL IS BASED ON THE GAME MODEL IN THE FIRST SHENMUE. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Okay so one person thinking that is not a robust case study, but I'll take it.

Next week cannot come soon enough.
Haha, I do think there's some credence to that.

Also, my nephew was telling me how he preferred the new look over the old one, bringing up how less neutral/more expressive Ryo's face is! He's a strange fella (you know, in that category of preferring the sonic games that the Internet hates and thinks that old school fanboys ruined sonic xD) but he comments did make me appreciate it even more.

Also he's excited about Shenmue 3's "deep shit" news, I was confused and told him to clarify but his phone (apparently) autocorrected 'deep silver' xD. Like jibby said prior I do think that will help make everything seem more real and in good / safe hands with that extra sense of safety net in place with the project.

Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Maybe my initial shock comes from the fact Ryo looks a bit browner than usual. That's what made my mind immediately go to that infamous OG Shenmue II Xbox poster/cover art. Of course, his skin color is probably just a lighting trick.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby shredingskin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:54 pm

I would say he looks more "reddish" than brown.

Like he got sunburned or something and then applied some cooling gel, hence the glossiness. Maybe it's a new feature ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:57 pm

Well, he only looks red-ish in the version with the tweaked contrast/saturation. In the more neutral version of the poster that emerged he's kinda fleshy beige.

Would prefer if they made a few adjustments to make Ryo that kinda yellowish tan colour he's been before, but there could be all kinds of fuckery going on with the light that it's tough to tell what Ryo's default skin tone is. His forehead, for example, is kinda more washed out than his cheeks and chin because the light source is hitting that part of his head more.

At least it aint' the whitewashed E3 2015 zombie Ryo.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby iyapol » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:43 am

So, with the meet and greets confirmed for Wednesday at 18:30 and Thursday at 12:30, when can we predict the presentation will take place in the business area? Before the first meet and greet, in between the meet and greets or after the second meet and greet?
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:31 am

I assume wednesday morning should be the presentation.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:43 am

There's part of me that could have done without all of this, and they saved all of this for Gamescom. I feel completely fucked after yesterday. Like I've had far too many pre drinks before heading to the club.

Peter has received a thanks from: iyapol
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III