Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Three Weeks Remai

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:12 am

This probably can't be answered because of story reasons but will Nozomi make a physical appearance in future installments of the series not counting the phone calls?

Also I have a second question: between the many years before the announcement did Yu ever change the story or consider it?
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Under 20 questions, huh? Man. Must be hard to chip away at that stuff when there's so much to ask.

Whatever gets shown at Gamescom might answer some, but will probably bring up dozens more too.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:38 pm

http://www.dualshockers.com/ubisoft-ann ... om-lineup/

As suspected, 2 weeks from the show beginning and the news is starting to trickle out about the event. Ubisoft confirm they will be there fully strong. Of course we are awaiting any such news from Sony. Last official word was that they were, "seriously considering" it when asked after E3. I have seen a couple of unconfirmed reports that they are not attending it, but I asked Gio Corsi on Twitter if Sony would be in attendance, which I got no response. Chap probably detestes me since I pound his Twitter every month with #saveshenmueHD tweets.

Peter has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:19 pm

Ah poor Gio. He must be used to us by now, though.

In case he's got you muted Peter, I thought I'd ask the same question too. If he's conveniently not answering more than a few people on the matter, it's possible there are plans, or at least plans in discussion.

YSnet doing this (mostly) solo is still on the cards, though. Weird as it might be.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:39 pm

I try to think things logically. This is a business trip for YSNET. It's to promote the game which Sony said they were footing the bill for. Gio Corsi himself said to Danny O'Dwyer that they will organise it when the game is ready to be shown at events etc. Here's some rough maths to help work it out:

Return flights to Japan (2 YSNET staff I know of attending = £1000

Hotel room (which will be close to the venue) = £500 a night X5 if they are there for the duration = £2500

Expenses for food etc = £1000

A trip close to £5000 isn't something I want coming out of the KS fund so Sony should rightfully be looking after this trip.

Peter has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby GameHacKeR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:58 pm

@Peter Agreed.
GameHacKeR
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Sony could still have paid for all that, maybe even lending some support staff to help YSnet get stuff together, without themselves having a proper Gamescom presence. It'd be pretty contrived, though.

If that was the case Sony could have just asked YSnet to hold a month for TGS, which would be cheaper/easier for everybody involved and has a guaranteed Sony presence at the show.

There's still time to announce something, but it'll be one hell of a head-scratcher if we get to the middle of next week and Sony haven't said a word. :-k

I have a single fear about what we're going to see in two weeks, and it's that YSnet have had to jump the gun because of mounting pressure on Kickstarter about showing the game off fully. I'm not worried about the content, just that YSnet might have sacrificed a bigger stage because they couldn't take some of the shittier behaviour from people in the KS comments for another couple months.

It's a bit of an irrational fear, though. I'm almost certain none of the rantings of that fruitloop get fed back to the team, but you never know.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby GameHacKeR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm expecting only a little treat from gamecom from the live event but ALOT more news to come from the people who get the VIP treatment from the news media.

I hoping for a trailer, long live stream of content etc the kinda treatment that'd give you a shenmuegasm but i'm expecting to be a little bit disappointed due to high exceptions in hopes, but when I read something about the news media getting private shows and discussions, that's what's got me thinking that we may get the july update video from in house development which will be longer with maybe the old trailer peter etc saw in japan updated with the new content since then. or maybe with less than that trailer and maybe just seeing Ryo's final face and design and Shenhua.

Maybe the trailer he saw would be released by the News media on there appropriate channels etc when they leave along with news stories to come from them later about what they got to talk about and see along with there Q&A's.

:-k
GameHacKeR

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Well as far as we know right now, whatever "news" comes out in the business area will coincide with a KS update.

The press screening is probably more to ensure a captive audience, and provide a venue for interviews than a genuine exclusive for the media.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby GameHacKeR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm hoping we get every juicy detail that's being shared at the event ;)
but i'm really just glad they're at a event and that someone in the media will be talking about Shenmue 3 again and drawing attention to the paypal page, It's had no exposer really from any media since kickstarter if it had it'd probably hit the ??? kick starter goal in funds but i'm sure the team is doing everything they possibly can to make the game the way it was supposed to be with all them goals regardless of the funds probably working themselves into early graves in the process.

But since the game is delayed they'll probably get alot more funds with pre orders but i'm sure it's to late for the funds to be truly used for the befits it would've had to Shenmue 3 if they were achieved early on but they'd probably help secure the funds needed for Shenmue 4 to keep the same team on while they secure the full development funds needed through various sources.
GameHacKeR

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Two Weeks Left

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:13 pm

To be honest, I don't even think YSnet are considering a fourth Shenmue right now. It's everything or nothing on III, really. There'd be no point starving extra money raised for III for a potential IV when the future of the series kind of depends on how well III does.

As for whether extra cash would be really beneficial to III... ehhhhhh, there's like a year/year and a half left before 2018 ends (if the game doesn't slip again). You're right that they probably could have used the money up front two years ago, but they'll definitely find a use for anything extra that comes in between now and when the Slacker Backer site finally closes. Even if it's just polish it'll be of some help.

Back to Gamescom chat though - I would hope we get everything the press does but I'd be naive to believe that's how things work. The press need something to make it worth their while turning up when all the information may be online anyway, though that could easily be an interview opportunity with Yu.

I think we're safe on the stuff we're all eager to see; the video content. It wouldn't have been announced as part of their Gamescom showing via the KS if there was no intention to bring it to backers too. They didn't talk about the MAGIC footage only attendees saw in-person. They didn't talk about the $10K backer showing, or when people like Justin Bailey saw the game either. There's a set precedent about not teasing backers with things they couldn't see themselves.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby iyapol » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:55 am

Two weeks to go! \:D/

iyapol has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:18 am

Guys, beside the new material and new announcements we can expect to get, just think about the tons of new interviews (including Peter's one) we are going to get from Suzuki San.

There will be a lot of articles about Shenmue 3, Yu Suzuki's work and vision, Shenmue franchise future, etc...

This only, makes me feel excited as never in the past two years!

Kiske has received 4 thanks from: iyapol, Let's Get Sweaty, Spaghetti, Switch
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Quiksylver » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:33 am

Hi Peter. Do you think a good question to ask Yu regarding Shenmue 3 is whether it will have any Passport style components? Maybe we could trade toy capsules or if there could be some sort of competitive score leaderboard for arcade games if they are included within the game?

Ill leave it to you.

Many thanks for all you do for Shenmue and its community. I don't often post here but I browse on a regular basis.

Quiksylver has received a thanks from: celsowm
Quiksylver

XBL: Quiksylver
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:26 am

Hey, it's no problem. I don't do much to be honest. Just... Go to things lol.

Nintendo now announcing Gamescom related content today. We are getting there...

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/Au ... 51161.html
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III