Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:15 am

A lot of really good interviews. Yu-San has been very consistent of what he's been saying in all of his interviews. I believe he has something really special to reveal by the end of the year to make up of what happened to the initial release being delayed to 2018. A true HD trailer with voice overs and facial animations etc.

*Kenshin Himura* has received 2 thanks from: SledgeNE, Spaghetti
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:13 am

Yokosuka wrote: New interview by Multiplayer.it

If I rely on Google Translate:

- YSnet is targeting 3D character models with a "significantly higher" complexity than what we saw in the teaser. Multiplayer.it actually saw these models although they did not have textures.

- The extended trailer shows classic QTEs and Ryo playing mini-games such a pinball and a cabin similar to Fighting Mania.

Ryo to finally put Machine Gun Fist to its proper usage.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Shenhua-Nani?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's at a party

Postby Kiske » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:30 am

punkmanced wrote:
Kiske wrote: VG24/7 Yu Suzuki interview:

https://www.vg247.com/2017/08/25/shenmu ... shenmue-4/

But at the same time, you can make a phone call to the characters of Shenmue 1 and 2. When you call those older characters, all of the images come up as your flashback, your memory.

In the form of original screenshots, or new recreations of those scenes?

Movie, a movie from the original.

Could this mean that the "phone call option" is being implemented into the core game?
Meaning, is it no longer a backer-exclusive mechanic?

Interesting.

That's exactly what I was asking myself actually.
I really hope it becomes available to everybody.
My only worry is the potential reaction of some backers... when I think back about the "exclusive" Kickstarter backers rewards polls...

Kiske has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:08 am

Here are the interesting bits of the multiplayer.it interview to Suzuki San.

Yu Suzuki: "My vision of the Shenmue universe and the way I see the characters have never changed.
To me, it's like not even one day has past [Since Shenmue 2 release]."

According to Yu Suzuki, it's still early to show a playable version of Shenmue 3 to the public.
Yu Suzuki: "More than half of the work has been done, but really I shouldn't tell you at what point we are in the development."
The partnership with Deep Silver will allow YsNet to focus on the development and work with better conditions but at the same time, the communication with media and the Kickstarter backers should be less transparent.

We had the opportunity to watch an extended version of the teaser (~3minutes). There were no dialogues o specific story related references. On the other hand, the video gives a good idea of the environments, characters and shows interactions with each others, like fights and side activities.

Following the feedback from the Community about the teaser, Suzuki San wanted to reassure the fans: "The characters shown in the teaser are temporary. We have just added a new facial animations system but the video we have prepared for the Gamescom was based on the previous version of the game."
Then, Yu Suzuki showed us a serie of 3D characters pictures, without texture but with a significantly higher complexity compared to the teaser models. "This is the quality level we are aiming to for the final version [of Shenmue 3]."

Of course, there are going to be a lot of extra activities. Mini-games and "hobbies": In the extended teaser, we saw Ryo practice punches on a cabinet looking like "Fighting Mania" or play pinball. Other classics like gashapons or forklift driving will not be forgotten. Lastly, news regarding the fighting system too: In the video, we saw a few QTE's not so different from the ones from the original Shenmue's, but Yu Suzuki claims that they are introducing some ideas to make the QTEs more modern and dynamic.

Source: http://multiplayer.it/articoli/187741-s ... e-iii.html

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:59 am

That translation is 100% accurate, nice work.

Shenhua-Nani? has received a thanks from: Kiske
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 am

Erm, since other journalists are talking about it, I didn't see a different style of machine. It was the QTE title machine, only really fucking detailed! I mean the cracked red leather on the pads really made my jaw drop again. The level of detail on it was insane. Like little white cracks, and one of them even had a little rip through it.

Peter has received 5 thanks from: Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty, SledgeNE, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 am

Ahhhh, that makes more sense. Guess the journalist wasn't particularly familiar with Shenmue.

Can you add anything about the claims forklift driving is coming back, though?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:24 am

To be honest, and I swear this isn't a kop out, I struggle to remember the specific details. Really. It's always so chaotic when you are at something like this, add to the fact that meeting Yu on Tuesday was as crazy as you could imagine. It wasn't supposed to happen. It was a very brief unbooked unorganised meeting in between his interviews. We chatted very quickly, and as we were going to leave he quickly showed us the trailer.

I am not kidding, I don't remember forklifts at all, or even a pinball machine so I am completely stumped on that one. There could have been!!!, I just don't remember lol
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:29 am

:lol:

Guess we'll find out eventually.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:02 am

Thank you Peter!

I'm definitely more inclined to trust you about the QTE machine. Like Spaghetti says, the journalist isn't probably very familiar with Shenmue, although the analogy with the Fighting Mania arcade cabinet isn't that bad.
Excited to hear they are putting so much effort in every detail!

The pinball machine was mentioned in another interview if I remember well (jeuxvideo.com ?).

Anyway... hopefully, we'll find out soon enough. :-o
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 am

Heeeey bud. Sorry if I haven't replied to a message you may have sent lol. Still trying to come back down to earth after the last week!

Yea I mean I am not saying it's not there, it was was all such a blur. It could have been that board thing with the forklift, for some reason that's in my head. We were asked not to talk about it, but if other journalists are talking out it, then I guess that's what's in it.

Peter has received a thanks from: Kiske
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Kiske » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:08 am

Peter wrote: Heeeey bud. Sorry if I haven't replied to a message you may have sent lol. Still trying to come back down to earth after the last week!

Yea I mean I am not saying it's not there, it was was all such a blur. It could have been that board thing with the forklift, for some reason that's in my head. We were asked not to talk about it, but if other journalists are talking out it, then I guess that's what's in it.

Don't worry Pete, if I had the week you and the guys had, I would be 6 feet under right now! :lol:

No pressure on what you saw, tell us only about what you feel comfortable with.
We've all seen what the public pressure means when it comes to Shenmue...
Don't show progress and people will moan, show progress and people will moan the same. ](*,)
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby SledgeNE » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:10 am

I think I would be too nervous and excited to talk with Yu Suzuki. :D I find it always annoying when trailers in the secret rooms are shown instead of the public. But i can understand that situation because when it's to ealy in progress.
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Centrale » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:38 am

What I wonder about the pinball is, what sort of era does it reflect? At that time, circa '87, there were some very advanced pinball machines with extremely elaborate gameplay systems. Of course, there were also decades of earlier machines, and showcasing an older type of pinball game could fit in well with the nostalgic feelings that YS wants to evoke.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby KidMarine » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:48 am

It's a remote mountain village, I'm guessing it'll be an old pinball machine from the 60s or so, nothing cutting edge.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III