Symbolism Analysis

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Symbolism Analysis

Postby ShenmueStan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Hello everyone I hope many people are okay and are able to maintain their composure since we are waiting for the release of the game next year. I wanted to start this thread to get some freshness in the forum. When I look at the threads and even some old ones their is so much discussion regarding the theories of Shenmue. All of that is great and all, but I feel a lot of times we miss the symbolism in the game and I believe we should have a bit more frequent discussions pertaining to that area that leads to theories. Are their any symbolism we have not discussed or maybe even patterns that may lead to more theories? So an example their are a lot of orphans in this series a lot of them are discussed in Shenmue II due to the amount of new faces that are presented to the gamer. The only orphan we get in Shenmue I is pretty much Ryo and the cat. I will say what is pretty much disturbing is that many of the orphans parents are murdered. We get no information about Fang-Mei, Wong, or even Ren's parents. Another thing I noticed is that when Ryo speaks to the fortune teller at the beginning of the game (the one who professes her love for Ryo) she talks about how Fang-mei has a heavy heart and to not be fooled by her cheerfulness and how she would be a burden to Ryo. I just ignored her and assumed she just wanted to tell Ryo anything to keep him for herself. I then remembered a scene when Ryo came to tell Fang-Mei goodbye and that he was leaving for Kowloon. She says to herself that she wont cry and that she is always happy, she says it like she is trying to convince herself of her happiness (just an interesting thought).

Anyway away from my ranting I thought another interesting pattern is the amount of people who knew Ryo's father yet we know absolutely nothing about that. This in my opinion kind of eludes to the fact that their are organizations aside from the Chiyoumen. So the patterns that I have noticed in the game that no one seem to have an answer for. Why would Ren of Heavens have a connect to Yuanda Zhu unless Zhu was involved with illegal dealings himself. If you refer to the chapters of Project Berklee you will see Zhu sitting with a bunch of men dressed behind him. He went into hiding because he knew a lot more than was stated to the gamer, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was involved in it himself. Guixiang in the Yan Tin apartments knew that the piece of paper Ryo showed her was a sign from Yuanda Zhu she did say that people in martial arts organizations knew these signs and would communicate with each other. Another person in Shenmue II is Kai (the gentleman you fight in the dark) he knew automatically Ryo was Iwao's son the only information we get from him is that his father was there 20 years ago and how Ryo would be able to infiltrate the yellow head organization. Why would a man like him know that much information? The average person on the street wouldn't know that much in their local neighborhood? I will say it could be a possibility that Iwao was involved in a cartel or maybe a martial arts organization himself. I have so many more thoughts and I have read so many threads on here over the years, so I will stop I am sure many oldheads here have been through this before, but since the resurgence of the game many people may have new ideas. I apologize for being repetitive in some of these views and maybe some people may have some answers, but I am really curious about patterns seen and was hoping we make one thread from this.
ShenmueStan
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Return to Shenmue III