So happy for the words PHYSICAL COPY (MN9 fallout continues)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

So happy for the words PHYSICAL COPY (MN9 fallout continues)

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:26 am

Wow. Could you actually imagine if this happened to us? Just when you thought the Mighty Number 9 farce had died a horrible death, it's still continuing to fuck over fans. I mean check it out:

https://twitter.com/Isfet/status/889955595272560640

Gaf comedy thread - http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1411284

The backers are being sent a flatpack box that they have to put together themselves! No physical game, and the manual for the game doesn't fit inside the box. Honestly, you couldn't make this up.
To add to the confusion, some people thought they were getting a physical game on top of their digital game, but it's on this point where the story gets more dark. If you read the MN9 $60 rewards tier, it doesn't say the backer would get a physical release of the game itself, just a physical game box! On the one hand, completely legal, on the other, absolutely ropey as fuck to the fans.

For all the flack the Shenmue 3 Kickstart received, I am thankful after seeing this, that there has been absolute clarity between digital game release and physical game release from the very beginning. Also that there were discussions with Sony during the Kickstarter campaign due to fan demand for a physical release to be included.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: ShenGCH, SledgeNE, Spaghetti, Telekill
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: So happy for the words PHYSICAL COPY (MN9 fallout contin

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:10 am

Looks like something out of a fucking 99p Lucky Bag :lol:

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:24 am

In fairness it is clarified in their updates, but it still highlights a joint lack of foresight both on the part of frenzied backers not reading the small print, but also on the decision makers and reward creators for not even having the manual fit in the box.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 am

Wow man what makes this worse is the effort of it all just looks super half-assed. I mean, I've love to hear the thought-provoking reasons as to why the manual has to be bigger than the box lol. And who would ever want/intended to buy just a box of the game?

Yeah, I don't expect this to be the new norm or anything with the other prolific kickstarters, clearly MN9 devs going through the motions to get all rewards fulfilled and be done with this now that the game is out without much fanfare/lukewarm reception.

Some of my prior kickstarters I've backed may have taken longer than intended for some of the physical editions but they at least put in actual effort and craft into what they produced (via google images):
ImageImage

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:48 am

To be honest, I shat a brick when I read about this and went straight to the S3 KS page to see if there was any possibility of this happening with Shenmue 3. As much as we have love for the franchise and the team, I'm sure that's no different to the love the Mega Man fans had for this project and look what happened to them. In the context of rewards specifically, the $60 tier does state that it is a box only, and there was no physical game in existence at that point. Deep Silver wasn't brought in to publish a physical edition until long after the KS ended.

Thankfully, I really don't see any major issues (apart from possibly a timeframe on the rewards slipping). The physical copies is clarified, and I think it was the Twitch broadcast that said they were talking with Sony to manufacture them so we are in good hands. As much as the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter wasn't with a few minor bumps in the road (blown way out of proportion by certain media outlets), it's been very smooth sailing compared to the MN9 trainwreck.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Telekill
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:50 am

Peter wrote:In fairness it is clarified in their updates, but it still highlights a joint lack of foresight both on the part of frenzied backers not reading the small print, but also on the decision makers and reward creators for not even having the manual fit in the box.
Fair enough, but honestly it seems like a very bizarre choice for a reward tier, which I think is fair to say considering the poor choices they made for poorly considered and unrealistic stretch goals amongst many othwrs.

I don't want to be too hard regarding that. I think of that analogy of the first penguin needing to dive into the sea to see if it's safe for the other penguins to follow suit, yet if a sea lion comes and consumes it's prey the other penguins know to back off. MN9 (and to a much smaller extent, doublefine's broken age) set an example the hard way for how not to approach these massively successful kickstarters, which will only help the other prolific kickstarters like shenmue 3 and bloodstained. #rulesofnature

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:25 am

Peter wrote:To be honest, I shat a brick when I read about this and went straight to the S3 KS page to see if there was any possibility of this happening with Shenmue 3.

It looks like you weren't the only one. :lol:

This reminds me of people about 15 years ago spending hundreds on an Xbox box on eBay.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Centrale » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:29 pm

There is a stark, night-and-day difference between the way Keiji Inafune and Yu Suzuki have conducted themselves through the years, both in their work and what they've expressed through the media. There might be some challenges but I have no worry that the Shenmue III rewards will be half-assed.

Personally I think the "reward" aspect of crowdfunding is way out of hand and should be dialed back because of all the logistical difficulties it introduces. If you believe in a project enough to contribute money to it, go for it. Don't view it as an opportunity to stock up on tchotchkes.

Centrale has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Telekill, VukBZ2005
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 pm

I can see why they'd ship it as a flatpack, as having nothing actually in the physical box makes it several more times likely to get damaged/crushed in transit, but the manual not fitting in the Japanese box version is a massive oversight. The box design also looks... cheap as fuck.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:43 pm

oh my god this is cartoon villain tier of deceiving :lol:
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Is it deceiving, though? It does seem a lot of people are jumping to conclusions or didn't read the product description.

Shoddy quality aside, that is.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:44 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Is it deceiving, though? It does seem a lot of people are jumping to conclusions or didn't read the product description.

Shoddy quality aside, that is.

considering that physical copies at that price point is the norm and they knew that due to that very few people would look further in to it, I would say that yes, it is willful deception. I find it very hard to believe that they didn't realise that the majority of people would automatically back it at that price point based on preconceptions of how kickstarter campaigns usually work.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:52 pm

south carmain wrote:considering that physical copies at that price point is the norm and they knew that due to that very few people would look further in to it, I would say that yes, it is willful deception. I find it very hard to believe that they didn't realise that the majority of people would automatically back it at that price point based on preconceptions of how kickstarter campaigns usually work.

Nah, c'mon. Wanting the backer to read beyond the price point and the words "PHYSICAL GAME BOX" is not a huge demand. You should always read up on what you're paying for, period.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Centrale » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:12 pm

south carmain wrote:considering that physical copies at that price point is the norm and they knew that due to that very few people would look further in to it, I would say that yes, it is willful deception. I find it very hard to believe that they didn't realise that the majority of people would automatically back it at that price point based on preconceptions of how kickstarter campaigns usually work.

Ah, seems like that's just reaching in order to be internet-enraged about something. You can't have it both ways. First all these KS backers want to pretend they are "investors" in a project and should have their input and opinions taken seriously by the developers. Then they want to say something was hidden in the "fine print" and they shouldn't be expected to read a two- or three-sentence description of a reward tier?
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 pm

Oh man... I feel sorry for the fans that were expecting an actual physical release and got that instead. It really pays to read the full description of what you're paying for. Also, as with Peter... very glad that Shenmue 3 is obviously stating a physical copy of the game and not just some box.

Anyone able to link a picture of the MN9 box? Can't do Twitter while at work.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Next

Return to Shenmue III