Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:this is Sega we're talking about

Just for fun I thought I'd google that phrase.

Would you believe it's seldom used in a positive tone? :lol:

Hahahaha! That's hilarious, dude (and, at the same time, kind of sad)!
And, yes, I do believe! :roll:
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Centrale » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:10 pm

I really don't think the guy was trying to pull some crafty double-speak. I think he just got a little tongue-tied, then he clarified it in the second sentence.

Yes, it’s a serious task and it’s not a task that we’re not working on, if that makes sense. It’s something we’re actively pursuing.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Seems like it's something they're discussing at SEGA but they haven't started any work on it. Perhaps they're currently assessing the cost and work that would need to be done to make it possible before someone higher up gives the green light to make it reality.

south carmain has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kintor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:17 am

I still consider this to be good news. Even vague language to the effect of ‘we’re looking at it’ is a marked improvement compared to when Sega wouldn't even acknowledge Shenmue in public statements. I think that Shenmue HD will happen sooner or later, it's simply a question of when Sega decides a certain event will the best opportunity to make that announcement.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:27 am

south carmain wrote:Perhaps they're currently assessing the cost and work that would need to be done to make it possible before someone higher up gives the green light to make it reality.

We should just give them time - they've only had two years to assess it, and there's coffee to make.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby south carmain » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:13 am

Well I wouldn't call the video game industry a particularly efficient one.

south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Jibby » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:25 am

south carmain wrote: Seems like it's something they're discussing at SEGA but they haven't started any work on it. Perhaps they're currently assessing the cost and work that would need to be done to make it possible before someone higher up gives the green light to make it reality.

I like the positivity, but time is a very important factor right now with Shenmue III on the way. I would have hoped that they'd at least started development by now. It would be ideal if they could leave a good amount of time for newcomers to the series to play the originals before III comes out, but it doesn't seem like SEGA care at all about that.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:43 am

Jibby wrote:
south carmain wrote: Seems like it's something they're discussing at SEGA but they haven't started any work on it. Perhaps they're currently assessing the cost and work that would need to be done to make it possible before someone higher up gives the green light to make it reality.

I like the positivity, but time is a very important factor right now with Shenmue III on the way. I would have hoped that they'd at least started development by now. It would be ideal if they could leave a good amount of time for newcomers to the series to play the originals before III comes out, but it doesn't seem like SEGA care at all about that.

On one hand I can't blame them because they are a publicly listed company so it's normal that they would concentrate their resources on projects that will bring in the most net profit, but on the other hand if they gave their fanbase a little more attention then it could be beneficial in the long run. I don't mean do everything fans want but throw us a bone every now and then.

Or I could be completely wrong and they started development some time ago, they just don't want to give a concrete answer until it is closer to completion.

south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:51 am

Sounds like standard PR talk we have heard already a good number of times.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:46 am

Gameblog posted a news about the MCV interview, with definitely a positive outlook about it.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/69873-shenm ... selon-sega

Kiske has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:22 am

"This is an exciting new development!" -> readers share link to story

"This all sounds very familiar." -> readers don't bother sharing it

#justsaying
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:26 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: "This is an exciting new development!" -> readers share link to story

"This all sounds very familiar." -> readers don't bother sharing it

#justsaying

Fair enough, but the more I read the statement, the more this double negation sounds to me like a (silly) PR way to say they are working on it without giving "quote" material to the medias.

Isn't this a perfect example of a double negative elimination?

"If A is true, then not not-A is true"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_ne ... limination

Aside from the logic debate, all we can do at this point is urge SEGA to whether officially announce they are working on Shenmue HD or at least, make a statement explaining why Shenmue HD can't be made.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:55 am

I'm fed up with this stupid "statements" of sega, too many years putting up with this. The truth is sega should launch Shenmue HD BEFORE the release of Shenmue 3 so that it can be a success. Launching Shenmue HD after the release of 3 make more harm than good to both.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:01 am

There shouldn't really be any confusion over the "not not working on it" quote.

He's explaining that while it isn't a game that's currently planned for release, to describe the situation as one they're not working on would be inaccurate.

- ie, remasters not being in development is a problem they're trying to solve, "so don't go thinking it isn't."

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:23 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: There shouldn't really be any confusion over the "not not working on it" quote.

He's explaining that while it isn't a game that's currently planned for release, to describe the situation as one they're not working on would be inaccurate.

- ie, remasters not being in development is a problem they're trying to solve, "so don't go thinking it isn't."

Again, I do agree.
That said, keep in mind that the interview is from the last E3 and it's not unlikely that someone from Sega Europe get interviewed during Gamescom (Like Jurgen Post last year). We may get some new "headache" statement. :mrgreen:

Another thing that comes to my mind is that even if at the moment, they don't say "we are working on the remasters" (aka it's not currently planned for release) it doesn't mean they can't announce them at some point, with a release date close to the announcement. Look at Bayonetta and Vanquish PC ports and the way SEGA announced them on Twitter.

Anyway, I'm not asking for plain, naive optimism, we should keep our breath on Sega's neck until they finally announce something solid about Shenmue HD. Good or bad.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III