Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

Postby BigTuna » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Sounds to me like they've discussed making it. But sadly, it hasn't gone anywhere beyond that. If HD happens. Don't expect it before Shenmue 3. Which is absolutely horrible. I'm so sick of this shit.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Chaikilla » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:31 pm

Graphical enhancements would be a nice bonus but all I want is the opportunity to have my progress from each game carry to the next. Capsule toys, scrolls, photos, moves, etc. I want to collect all of the boat capsule toys, I want the photo of Ryo and Nozomi where Ryo doesn't look pissed and I want to max my moves out before the events of Shenmue 2.

The boat chapter would be nice, too. :-

Chaikilla has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Chaikilla

Postby Verderame » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:21 pm

I think this just means that they're still trying to resolve all those license issues they've talked about before. That's it.
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I guess we could all start not buying SEGA games anymore. :lol:

After Sonic Mania. Anddddd Yakuza Kiwami, I guess.

Buy 6, its super awesome.

Going to dive into it within the next two weeks, as things have calmed down significantly, in my life.
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby celsowm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:54 pm

Verderame wrote: I think this just means that they're still trying to resolve all those license issues they've talked about before. That's it.

Hum... I don't think so...

License issues are just the tip of the icerberg IMO.

Sega is now very worried about the "port quality" thing and I think they are struggling to port Shenmue with the best improvments/mods possible, because they don't want another Dreamcast collection's Sonic Adventure 1
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby Telekill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:19 am

My hype level for the possibility of seeing Shenmue HD Collection release on PS4 before Shenmue 3 has gone from 90% sure before this last E3, to 50% sure after E3, to 3% of potentially ever seeing it let alone before Shenmue 3.

It's obvious at this point that Sega doesn't know what the hell they're doing in many respects; Shenmue related or not.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:33 am

Telekill wrote: My hype level for the possibility of seeing Shenmue HD Collection release on PS4 before Shenmue 3 has gone from 90% sure before this last E3, to 50% sure after E3, to 3% of potentially ever seeing it let alone before Shenmue 3.

It's obvious at this point that Sega doesn't know what the hell they're doing in many respects; Shenmue related or not.

Personally, I still think we'll see Shenmue HD before Shenmue 3 is out, simply because I think it likely that Shenmue 3 will be delayed once again (which is fine by me, as long as it doesn't get into development hell, like The Last Guardian and such).

Even if Shenmue 3 isn't delayed again, there's still a good chance that Shenmue HD comes out before it. Just because Sega still hasn't confirmed it, it doesn't mean it's not in development already and it may very well be announced just a couple of months before release.
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Peter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:17 am

I dunno about another delay per se. That was the point of saying a vague timeframe during the second half of 2018. With the Gamescom showing, to me anyways, this is the start of a long promotional campaign. This, possibly appear at PSX, ramp up the output of images and videos via the KS page, possibly MAGIC next year and also E3. It's been over 2 years, so the time has come to start showing off this game. You would be surprised how much they have done already.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:43 am

Yeah, another delay is not a given. I would maybe even say it's unlikely too; knock on wood.

YSnet were playtesting whole quest lines as of February or earlier. All things considered, that's pretty advanced for game development.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:04 am

This is just typical SEGA.

"Actively pursuing", is that any different to the last comment they made: "looking into it"?

Nope.

Unless it's shown at a floor like Gamescom, E3 or TGS; or they set an official release date with screens and/or videos, then I'm not going to get excited about it.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Verderame » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:04 am

I honestly can't understand all the hysteria and the defeatism about this topic. I mean, i know we're talking about Sega, the dumbest, worst managed videogame company ever, but last time they explicitly stated that they were doing it and that they needed to solve some complicated licence issues before publishing it.

I don't know why the people in the fanbase is acting like they never confirmed it and that it's never going to happen because Sega doesn't give a shit and it's only giving pr answers and whatever.
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 am

Because until they actually resolve those complicated license issues, there's no game - and that will be the only proof they ever really tried.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 am

The statements of intent would be more exciting if SEGA hadn't been making them for almost two years now with no results.

I felt better about when they did it last May because it sounded more committal than in October 2015, but here we are over a year later, and SEGA's position hasn't even evolved into a simple yes or no answer.

It's actually kind of nuts we're going to see Shenmue III's first re-reveal before Shenmue HD is announced.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Let's Get Sweaty
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Senpai Gamer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:07 am

I was really happy when back when Sega said that they were trying "actively pursue shenmue remasters"

But that was what? 1-2 years ago

So i just got fed up and decided to buy a OG Xbox and Shenmue II Physical

I am usually an optimistic person but in regards to these remasters. I dont see them happening ever unless Sega unveils them at E3 2017. That will Be Sega's last chance to announce these remasters. If we dont see them at E3 2017 then we wont see them ever. That is just my opinion.

Senpai Gamer has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX

Postby Kintor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:19 am

Spaghetti wrote: It's actually kind of nuts we're going to see Shenmue III's first re-reveal before Shenmue HD is announced.

It shouldn't matter if we get a glimpse of Shenmue 3 before any HD announcement. If anything it might work out better this way, a little extra Shenmue 3 hype could be channelled into demand for Shenmue HD. Because it's not a simple case of Shenmue HD supporting Shenmue 3, both projects can support each other. Right now in pre-release Shenmue 3 can support Shenmue HD, then later Shenmue HD can support Shenmue 3 when the game is finally ready for launch.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Kiske
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III