New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Postby KidMarine » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:31 am

Environments: Wow they look gorgeous, everything I ever wanted.

Character Models: Um, how is the gulf in quality between the environments and the characters so massive? They look like something an intern made in a weekend, these can't be the final ones, the faces don't even look properly textured. I'll hope someone at Deep Silver used old assets by mistake, because these are ugly. Very disheartening, very cheap looking.

EDIT- The more I look at Ryo's model the more I like it. Honestly Ryo just needs a few tweaks, but Shenhua is way off.

Logo: wat

All that being said, wow do those environments look great. Exceeding my wildest expectations, even. I just hope they spend the next year or so improving the character models and this will live up to my expectations no problem.

EDIT- Hey wait a second, why does Ryo's jacket change colour so dramatically between

and

?
Last edited by KidMarine on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 am

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: Centrale, KidMarine, ShenmueTree
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby KidMarine » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:37 am

Kiske wrote: Image

Jaw-dropping.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:50 am

Honestly, the more i look at these models the more i like them, they just need some little tweak, but overall i'm sure they will look pretty good in-game, aka in the proper context.
It's just that this promotional image is clearly something that someone quickly smashed together in half hour on photoshop.
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:52 am

@Kid Marine

Photoshop tinkering. Contrast and saturation on the models in the key art seem to have been boosted to match the background more.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: KidMarine
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:54 am

Kiske wrote: Image

THAT's the Shenmue we know and love.

Now just replace these plastic models with the original CG's and all is well in Guilin.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby KidMarine » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 am

Verderame wrote: It's just that this promotional image is clearly something that someone quickly smashed together in half hour on photoshop.

Yeah I think you're right, and
Spaghetti wrote: @Kid Marine

Photoshop tinkering. Contrast and saturation on the models in the key art seem to have been boosted to match the background more.

is pretty good evidence that this was done in like 20 minutes. Doesn't really seem fair to judge the models in this context.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:59 am

Enigma wrote: Funny how a few years back people were saying how satisfied they would be with a Shenmue 3 book, manga or even an unfinished Dreamcast build to be leaked online to give us closure to the story.

Now we're getting the real deal and we're all moaning about virtually everything we're seeing in each and every update. Suzuki must feel so encouraged.

Well, I was never one of those people and never understood those who said such things. Shenmue 1 and 2 were masterpieces and I expect it to keep that way. I'd rather have nothing at all, than having a manga, a novel or a shitty game just to say they finished the story.

Obviously, it sometimes still feels like a dream that Shenmue 3 is a reality. I had lost all hope many years ago and, as a gamer, Shenmue 3's announcement was the best videogame news I've ever had in my life. So I am grateful for it. Now, does this mean that I should be happy about everything they show us? No, if it looks like shit, it looks like shit.

Again, I'll hold my judgement until I see a more final version of the game and that too in motion. I know this is just work in progress material, not to mention they just did a simple photoshop of the characters on top of the background, with no lighting, shadows, or anything. That's why I'm not too worried yet, because this is simply not enough to know how the game will actually look like and I'm still optimistic that it will look great, so don't get me wrong about that.

Having said that, this is what we have now and this thread is about these pics that they just released, so we are talking about what we think about these pics. And Ryo and Shenhua look like shit in that pic. At least to me, they do. Again, they're certainly an improvement over the KS pitch video (especially Ryo), but that's not saying much. They still have a very long way to go. And I find it odd that, after all this time, they still haven't managed to make a better-looking Ryo than some stuff already made by fans at their homes.

Anyway, in just a few days, we'll have a much better idea of what the game, and, namely, the characters, will actually look like (though that too will still be work in progress).

O Rei do Frango Assado has received a thanks from: Fei Fong Wong
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:59 am

Anyway, they're using this one on the Deep Silver official page:

Verderame

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:05 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:Well, I was never one of those people and never understood those who said such things. Shenmue 1 and 2 were masterpieces and I expect it to keep that way. I'd rather have nothing at all, than having a manga, a novel or a shitty game just to say they finished the story.

Obviously, it sometimes still feels like a dream that Shenmue 3 is a reality. I had lost all hope many years ago and, as a gamer, Shenmue 3's announcement was the best videogame news I've ever had in my life. So I am grateful for it. Now, does this mean that I should be happy about everything they show us? No, if it looks like shit, it looks like shit.

Again, I'll hold my judgement until I see a more final version of the game and that too in motion. I know this is just work in progress material, not to mention they just did a simple photoshop of the characters on top of the background, with no lighting, shadows, or anything. That's why I'm not too worried yet, because this is simply not enough to know how the game will actually look like and I'm still optimistic that it will look great, so don't get me wrong about that.

Having said that, this is what we have now and this thread is about these pics that they just released, so we are talking about what we think about these pics. And Ryo and Shenhua look like shit in that pic. At least to me, they do. Again, they're certainly an improvement over the KS pitch video (especially Ryo), but that's not saying much. They still have a very long way to go. And I find it odd that, after all this time, they still haven't managed to make a better-looking Ryo than some stuff already made by fans at their homes.

Anyway, in just a few days, we'll have a much better idea of what the game, and, namely, the characters, will actually look like (though that too will still be work in progress).

Well said. After all these years, the Shenmue saga deserves better than this.

ShenmueLegacy has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 am

I think that the major problem here is that, as always, they seem to have like 0 budget for marketing and pr, so every time that they try to pull off some promotional piece of any kind it looks and feels pretty amateurish and off-putting.
Verderame

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:30 am

THose models are hideous. I'm worried. I'm reminded of that simian-like Ryo in first draft of the US Shenmue II poster/Xbox cover.
Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Amir » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 am

KidMarine wrote:
EDIT- Hey wait a second, why does Ryo's jacket change colour so dramatically between

and

?

Shenhua looks a lot better in that second image, the added resolution and the improved lighting takes her from a PS2-quality model to something more acceptable. Hopefully she looks better in motion, not long until we get a trailer now...
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby sand4fish » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:33 am

I don't really understand all the complaining. The truth is Ryo and Shenhua have never been given this much visual detail in an official 3D model before ever!

I just hope no one here is going to bombard Yu & Co with incessant pleading about tweaking their looks to please your own version of a perfect Ryo and Shenhua. It's most likely final and it's godamn Yu Suzuki's world to interpret as he pleases. God forbid the man will cave in to fan complaints and start spending time again on supposed wrong art direction instead of the real meat of a game, its gameplay!

Anyway, a PC version will be there for modding so everyone can have their own fan idealized Shenmue world to play with. Win-win to all.
Last edited by sand4fish on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 am

Shenhua just looks like some generic human NPC I would've seen in Sonic Adventure. Ryo is astonishingly ugly. I can't believe some people think that's faithful to the original.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III