New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:00 am

I have never seen so much font talk. Didn't they agree to keep the traditional dreamcast font? Why even waste time fixing something that isn't broken...
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 am

For what it's worth the font on the Shenmue.link website is still the one from June. That was immediately changed when the Papyrus font was thrown out, but hasn't happened with the Deep Silver logo, so...

I zoomed in on the new Ryo model (the more desaturated version), and literally from the chin to the brow that looked 100% like Ryo. Not even knowing it was from Shenmue III I would have recognised him. If they tweak the eyes and the brow they've probably got it spot on.

Sorry for everybody who wanted the passport models, but it was never going to happen.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 am

I find the models very ugly from an aesthetic standpoint. Compared to the original series and compared to modern games. Im not sure why matching the passport models should be such a fantasy.

mjq jazz bar has received 4 thanks from: Esppiral, Fei Fong Wong, Mystere, PseudoDev
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am

It was really a surprise seeing all this just pop up this morning.

Anyway, I was a little put off by Ryo's model at first too. But I think they've really honed in on Ryo's characteristics (personality-wise). He looks stubborn, but his intentions are well-meaning. He looks very honest too. These are the kinds of characteristics that his original character models established, so I'm really happy those have translated into this latest model.

While I think more work is needed, they're headed in the right direction. It's probably just the lighting in this picture, but Ryo's hair should be darker. I'd get a better feel of the model then.

Shenhua's model needs a lot of work. I think the 2015-debut model was a bit better, if not physically, then characteristically. I could actually see something about her character in the 2015 model. Here, she's just kinda flat. Probably not the best model to display at this time.

Your Boy Leroy has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:23 am

I have done a few very very minor change to the new model.
(the face is more thin and long now, jaw shape is slightly softer and eyes smaller but you need to compare them to really see a difference)

Maybe I'm getting used to this new Ryo, but I find it very good and definitely close to how I imagined him for Shenmue 3.

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:24 am

The obsession with clutching to the passport models is ridiculous considering Ryo never actually looked like that through all our hours actually *playing* the game. It's ruinous and warps expectations into unrealistic territory.

It was a moon-shot at realism on Dreamcast, but that's it. As good as they were then, they fall short immensely on modern standards of realism, and aren't stylised enough to look like an art style decision.

Even if they DID use cleaned up passport models that attempted realism, you guys all realise the possibly 200 NPCs needed to match for a consistent art design, right? More hours, more money. You *might* get a prettier game on the whole, but it all needed to come out of something else on the project. Smaller environments, less quests, less dialogue, whatever.

The new Ryo model is a near enough 1:1 update of old Dreamcast renders or even his in-game model. That's a fucking huge victory considering where we started two years ago.

Christ. It's always the same people who say the same shit. No attempt at nuance, no attempt at reasoning. If it ain't the Shenmue III you had it your head, you don't want it. Nobody is getting the Shenmue III in their head, but god damn, you can at least keep yourselves open to what YSnet are making. You're acting like they showed a smeared sketch drawing on a napkin.

Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:26 am

Wow @kiske, great work! Love all the background and colours!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Kiske
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby SledgeNE » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am

I'm very happy with the environment, too. And i like the new Logo. When this would be the very first Shenmue-Game then this Logo would be great, but now it is something off than the old one, but i like it. Shenhua from 2015 doesn't looks so bad than this, but i will wait how the models and NPC's will work in the amazing environment. I can't wait to see more.

Deep Silver is a good Publisher. Risen and Elex are great Games. And Gothic of course. Very good News today. Next week comes new News and Interviews. I'm very excited.

SledgeNE has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:33 am

FlagshipFighter wrote: Wow @kiske, great work! Love all the background and colours!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The background is the HD Hazuki Dojo vision of Nocon Kid.

I've just pushed a little bit the brightness, vibrance and contrast because I like... vivid colors :P

PS. I agree 110% with what Spaghetti just said above.

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Sonne2
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby shredingskin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:00 am

https://www.daz3d.com/commercial-game-developer-license

https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-8

https://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-elizabeth-hd-for-victoria-8

Those are not made for runtime, but can be optimized for runtime (they have a plugin ready for that).

+ Marvelous Designer for clothing.
+ Original models for the main characters.

There's really not a big stretch to make +200 npcs (and my guess is that it would be cheaper than what they're doing).

And Spagetti, stop strawmanning everyone that doesn't like the art direction or have another opinion, no one said they don't want the game, no one said it's not going to play it, I don't see what's the lack of nuance to say simply that you don't like something. It's an opinion, the people here like Shenmue, and want it to succeed and likt it. I don't see your posture as any more reasonable than anyone who doesn't like it, hell, it's even less reasonable because you're talking about absolutes and what can and can't be done (and that's what sadly I'm doing in this post), while others are just stating an opinion.

Just chill a little.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Cyberman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:04 am

To be honest, Ryo looks much than before. Shenhua however could use a little work.
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:07 am

I think they mostly need to get Ryo's forehead and hairline, and then it will be fine.

I'm eager to see these models in some actual gameplay footage, i think people are getting a bit too much worked up for a couple of ankwardly cropped out, bad lighted, terribly compressed images (so much that every single detail became almost unnoticeable) that have also been extremely overly-saturated in order to match on a completely unrelated background by some casual amateur guy.

Verderame has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, Sonne2
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:15 am

Spaghetti wrote: The obsession with clutching to the passport models is ridiculous considering Ryo never actually looked like that through all our hours actually *playing* the game. It's ruinous and warps expectations into unrealistic territory.

It was a moon-shot at realism on Dreamcast, but that's it. As good as they were then, they fall short immensely on modern standards of realism, and aren't stylised enough to look like an art style decision.

Even if they DID use cleaned up passport models that attempted realism, you guys all realise the possibly 200 NPCs needed to match for a consistent art design, right? More hours, more money. You *might* get a prettier game on the whole, but it all needed to come out of something else on the project. Smaller environments, less quests, less dialogue, whatever.

The new Ryo model is a near enough 1:1 update of old Dreamcast renders or even his in-game model. That's a fucking huge victory considering where we started two years ago.

Christ. It's always the same people who say the same shit. No attempt at nuance, no attempt at reasoning. If it ain't the Shenmue III you had it your head, you don't want it. Nobody is getting the Shenmue III in their head, but god damn, you can at least keep yourselves open to what YSnet are making. You're acting like they showed a smeared sketch drawing on a napkin.
I don't know, man. It seems like many out there agree the characters don't look great. I don't feel I need to force myself to like something, so no amount of proselytizing about why your viewpoint of the game's aesthetic is the right viewpoint is going to change my mind. I just don't think it looks good.

I hope the game turns out great. I've spent a lot of money on this game--more than any game ever, so I have no desire to see this fail. I'm not going to lie to myself if I don't think something looks good. I know there are plenty of people out there who want to see the game fail, but I know there are many diehard Shenmue fans out there--on NeoGAF, on Reddit, on this forum, on Facebook--who aren't loving how the game is looking, and I don't think they're out to destroy Ys Net or Shenmue.

Ultimately, we all had our own image of what Shenmue III would look like. Some of us are disappointed. So it goes. :-({|=
Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Ryuman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 am

Ryo looks perfectly fine. Shenhua on the other hand isn't there. Though I feel like they might end up going in a different direction with her design anyway.
Ryuman
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: KH 2.5

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 am

The enivorments are simply stunning and are more beautiful then I could ever have imagined over these many years. They have that Shenmue look to them and that is heartwarming. The characters on the other hand I'm not a fan of by any means. They seem to have a plastic sheen to them that is off-putting. They look like action figures to me for some reason. Shenhua is the worst of the two. Also there's something distressing about Ryo's jacket lol. All in all hopefully they'll tweak the models up to release as much as possible. Can't believe we're only a few short days away from seeing Shenmue 3 in motion. Can't wait!
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III