New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Everything outside of the environments looks like a let down honestly. I guess Ryo looks ok, but after two years of keeping it under wraps, I would have expected him to look on-point.

Shenhua looks off. So much for bringing her original modeler, it doesn't look liker her at all. Makes me worried about Lan Di and Ren, too.

That logo... Are they kidding? They just changed it back a few months ago, why replace it with something that looks like it belongs to a cheap browser MMO? I'm guessing Deep Silver had something to do with it.

I hope the gamescom showcase finally brings the good vibes.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Man, the one day where I have no time to check things out. I literaly only got time to look at the Kickstarter Update mail and that was it. But it wasn't it. New model pictures and man how much has already gone on in this thread...

So I'm a little late to say the same things that have been said before. Much improved, Ryo is almost spot on, Shenhua takes some time getting used to. Strange they didn't use the Shenmue font for it. And so on...

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: iyapol, Spaghetti, Your Boy Leroy
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Centrale » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 pm

I think one problem is that most if not all of the material we've seen so far have apparently been mock-ups - for KS, for this press release. I know the fanbase is starving for eyes-on experiences, but I'd rather have the artists and the marketing staff working together to create exquisite images than to see mocked-up placeholder images.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 pm

An old classic about how much lighting angle can vastly change face's shape perception

Verderame has received 4 thanks from: Esppiral, Ikuzuh, shredingskin, Yokosuka
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: I don't think it's unreasonable to expect something better than that when we're 2 years into development. Ryo looks OK, Shenhua looks less than OK. Need to see more before forming a full opinion, but I'm a little concerned - the E3 promo Shenhua looked like Shenhua, at least.

You... might want to look at the E3 model again.

The new one still needs work but... it at least evokes some of the designs we've seen for her in the past.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:44 pm

I think that most of the people that are now saying that the new Shenhua doesn't look like her (wich one of the three thousand all-different looking promotional renders available around we've talking about, by the way?) will eventually change their mind when they'll show her in-game, with her proper clothes and hairstyle.
Verderame

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Animating her might help. She's just kind of a blank :) face right now.

They got Ryo right though. >:( all day, every day, until revenge is had.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:15 pm

The more,and more and more i look at it, i am starting to try and pinpoint the small thing thats making these characters seem off, and i am starting to be really drawn to the eyes. I think there is slightly too much sclera design in the eye (the white part of the eye itself), which is in turn making be believe the eyes are ever so slightly too big or too wide open or whatever. As many have pointed out, like a shocked or spooked look. Its the same facial feature we have seen on the Passport models, but they are a bit too intense with their stares. Thats what i am getting.

The again it could be just the full lighting they have on the models, causing the white to be so much more prominent. Meh roll on next week.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shredingskin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Verderame wrote: Shenmue 3 Ryo's face with Passport Ryo's hairstyle and adjusted coloration comparison #2:

So uhm...? This seems pretty good to me?

Looks good to me too (despite the artifacts). Seems like the biggest gripe I have is with the shader, it just looks off, between realistic, but shinny and plasticky. I really don't know why they choose that style.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Peter wrote:The more,and more and more i look at it, i am starting to try and pinpoint the small thing thats making these characters seem off, and i am starting to be really drawn to the eyes. I think there is slightly too much sclera design in the eye (the white part of the eye itself), which is in turn making be believe the eyes are ever so slightly too big or too wide open or whatever. As many have pointed out, like a shocked or spooked look. Its the same facial feature we have seen on the Passport models, but they are a bit too intense with their stares. Thats what i am getting.

The again it could be just the full lighting they have on the models, causing the white to be so much more prominent. Meh roll on next week.
I absolutely agree, I don't think there's much shading going on around the sclera in those images, these were the same issues with mass effect andromeda supposedly (until they patched it which meant to have made a huge difference in the end).

When you see the prior shenmue ingame models and renders, it's true you don't really see that (maybe tech limitations?), but I don't think Yu needs to follow that verbatim. I'm sure seeing these assets in their respective environment will massively help and maybe even provide the shading around the inner eye whites...

(Although honestly it looks good if they want to keep that artstyle)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby shredingskin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Peter wrote: The more,and more and more i look at it, i am starting to try and pinpoint the small thing thats making these characters seem off, and i am starting to be really drawn to the eyes.

Shenhua's mouth seems really off also, there's something not human/dead about it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Biggest thing folks need to remember regarding the nitpicking of these models is this:

There is still well over a year in development left and a lot can change in that time period. What we see now versus, say, PSX could be worlds apart.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Well it's kind of a composite, and honestly? The result is pretty satisfying. I'm mostly happy with the model as it is now, but I wouldn't say no if YSnet decided to make tweaks that made the model end up looking like the composite.

Shenmue_Trilogy, I think your MS Paint one is kind of going in the opposite direction, and looks less like Ryo.

The new Ryo looks nothing like a asian guy. He looks more south american or mixed. That the main reason why he looks so off. I have no idea why you think the original ryo goes in the right direction....
Don't get me wrong my Ryo is by far from perfect but the original face even more away from the original face.
I made some more small tweeks to the eyes, hairline and eyebrows:

Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Talking about Shenhua, when i saw the new model i thought that she kinda looked like this cg render in particular:

Major off-putting elements: lighter hairs, cheaper/plain/poorer (also less cartoonish, tho) looking shadows and shaders in general, deader eyes and expression.
I still think that it's kinda good and that we need to see it in its proper context.

Verderame has received a thanks from: iyapol
Verderame

Postby shredingskin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Verderame wrote:we need to see it in its proper context.

An android factory ?

:lol: :lol:

I'll stop shitposting for now, I need more perspective.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III