Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 pm

I still haven't seen the trailer but the reception outside the fans is unbelievably positive.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ShenSun » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Damn the fights look incredible. Ryo getting his ass beat by yet another old man. Jiamin and the harbor beggar would be proud.

Mr muscles bloodsport guy looks really good in motion.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kintor » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:40 pm

The first trailer for Shenmue 3 was always going to be divisive. The sequel to a 128-bit Dreamcast game running on the modern Unreal Engine, of course things were going to look a little different. Overall though, I'm very pleased by what has been shown so far. The world of Shenmue 3 looks beautiful, there is obviously still work to be done but I have complete confidence in Yu Suzuki and his team to deliver.

Jibby wrote: It's a small detail, but the HD Phoenix Mirror really stood out for me. It looks beautiful!

Yeah, this is actually the moment in the trailer that really caught my attention as well. These new textures on the Phoenix Mirror really elevate the model above what could be achieved from the original. It's a work of art, which now better reflects the ancient jade that such a priceless artefact would be made of, this better emphases how important the Phoenix Mirror actually is to the story of Shenmue.

Kintor has received a thanks from: RenDur89
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Was totally blindsided by this - happened to see a super negative article on Facebook from Kotaku "Shenmue III trailer looks like ass" which might have framed my perception of the trailer myself...but I'm not very impressed after watching. The environments are pretty, the character models are rough. And just the way the trailer was edited and put together seemed really amateur. The cut from the main theme to the battle music back to the theme music was sloppy, in my opinion. Started off great with the cave sequence, but the sparring bits to me did not add to the trailer and only served as a sign that they aren't ready to be showing the character models yet.

However I will try to remain open-minded, I'm still excited to experience the next chapter of the story. I hope that the game exceeds expectations and we get a shot at Shenmue IV to finish out the series, but only time will tell.

I'm also really pleased to see the mostly positive reactions here. I'm glad most of you enjoyed what you saw and perhaps it just needs to grow on me.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Well... as everybody else I'm impressed by the graphics but concerned about facial animations and the lack of new audio tracks. The battle scenes should be presented with a great action music.

After all... I'm happy... but serously worried.

Peter, please share with us things you saw in that dinner!
Last edited by The_Fuzileiro on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby SheepheadCG » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Jibby wrote: It's a small detail, but the HD Phoenix Mirror really stood out for me. It looks beautiful!

I want to tilt it to the left, and then back to the right soooooo bad lol! If the items that we can pick up all look like this then I will lose my shit!

Lan Di-sama wrote: And just the way the trailer was edited and put together seemed really amateur.

I do agree with you here sadly. The cuts during the fighting are really well done, as are the individual scenes, however, when you jump between one to the next, it is not done very well. That topped off with the jumps in audio and finally the fade in of the logo at the end (to the point where it is almost pixelated as it is to close on the Z axis) stuck out to me a lot. As it is WIP footage, I think it is fine. I'm sure that they will have a more professional quality trailer when the next one is out.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby shredingskin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 pm

TBH It doesn't look like they care much about marketing/PR for now, the editing of the video (well, the ending/beginning, the logos and such) looked done by an amateur in a couple of minutes.

And about the skin, I felt the same when I saw the muscular guy trailer, but I think it does mix somewhat, but it does depends a lot on the lighting (Ryo actually looked like SO Ryo on some shots), also there looks like in dark scenes they have a spotlight on the faces giving it a weird vibe (it's something that a lot of games and movies do, but it's very apparent in the trailer).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:07 pm

The_Fuzileiro wrote:Peter, please share with us things you saw in that dinner!

We've pretty much just seen it, give or take a few bits.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
The_Fuzileiro wrote:Peter, please share with us things you saw in that dinner!

We've pretty much just seen it, give or take a few bits.

So that "muscular guy" wasn't a surprise for you guys when it was first shown to public?
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:17 pm

The_Fuzileiro wrote:So that "muscular guy" wasn't a surprise for you guys when it was first shown to public?

I'm not a 10K backer so I don't really know, I'm just relaying a conversation I had with Peter earlier tonight.

It mighta been in there with a placeholder character? I dunno. Peter indicated a lot of what we saw was what he saw, though.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Had a quick stab in iMovie at making a (very short) teaser based off today's footage and Everlasting World from the Orchestral OST:

phpBB [video]

Amir has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Coromasta, shredingskin
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby squall » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:23 pm

I haven't posted anything for awhile, I avoided saying anything after the Deep Silver character model reveal thing. Certainly my first impressions of that were very rough, and I felt Shenhua looked a bit bulgy eyed...blah, blah, blah. I mean, just look at the image in the top of this forum. Those are Shenhua's eyes! But I digress...

I can certainly see where there are issues in this trailer...if you watch it as a trailer for a game about to be released or something. But yeah, with over a year to go, I'm pretty sure Yu will have things in hand.

My main impression is just a sort of giddiness. It looks like Shenmue, it has a Shenmue vibe (even if it's a WIP). I am confident I will feel like I'm playing a Shenmue game when it is released. A few years ago what hope did we have of that ever happening? We had only ridiculously foolish dreams.

Not super stoked about the logo. I don't really understand why in June they'd reveal they are using the original (that fans have been clamoring for, and to our great relief) only to use this on in the trailer. Hopefully that gets rectified, but in the end...the logo is relatively minor. This is Shenmue III. It's happening, and for a kickstarter funded F.R.E.E. game, I'm pretty impressed with how it looks for the time being. I say that with the trust that the models (specifically Shenhua) and animations will look much better in the future. Because they will.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my complete lack of surprise at someone's mention of Kotaku crap article. I used to visit Kotaku daily (years ago), and eventually they just kept turning into more and more of a clickbait worthless rag. A certain reviewer had such inconsistently applied ideas - trashing something in one game, only to praise it in another - ridiculous biased trash. Anyway, the internet in general is full of people who just look for opportunities to spread hate, outrage, promote discord, etc...but now I'm getting off topic. YouTube (and honestly most gaming website) comments being full of said nonsense.

squall has received 3 thanks from: SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
squall
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mue 26 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:59 pm

squeee! I love it! It's Shenmue. Shenmue 3!

I do miss Shenhua's more realistic face from the old games a bit, if I'm honest, but I think it was always going to be hard to recreate it on modern technology. The Dreamcast had an ability to create such beautiful countenances. Or maybe it was the laborious way (sculptures and all that) that they went about it. Shenmue 1 and 2 had, for me, hands down some of the most exquisitely crafted character faces I've ever seen. I never for one second believed they'd be able to get anywhere close to the originals in that regard, but I always believed they'd be able to capture the magic and atmosphere regardless. And it seems like that magic is there is all right :) lovely suff!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:31 pm

Is this the only thing besides the meet and greet from Shenmue 3 at Gamescom? They said they'd have movie clips, this is one teaser. It's awesome but.. I'm surprised there's nothing else at all.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:40 pm

I was also wondering about that, not much by trailer/clip/teaser, but by the plurality of it and the mention of it being named "1st teaser".
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III