Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:43 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: Is this the only thing besides the meet and greet from Shenmue 3 at Gamescom? They said they'd have movie clips, this is one teaser. It's awesome but.. I'm surprised there's nothing else at all.

Unless I'm mistaken and it's already happened, there will be a closed session with the gaming press. A Kickstarter update should bring us some of the material from that session. Anything else will be released by gaming websites over the course of the day/week, I would imagine.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby VukBZ2005 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:43 pm

mue 26 wrote: I do miss Shenhua's more realistic face from the old games a bit, if I'm honest, but I think it was always going to be hard to recreate it on modern technology. The Dreamcast had an ability to create such beautiful countenances. Or maybe it was the laborious way (sculptures and all that) that they went about it. Shenmue 1 and 2 had, for me, hands down some of the most exquisitely crafted character faces I've ever seen.

If you remember from 20+ years ago when news of Shenmue first broke, it was stated by Suzuki-sensei and his team that they made mold models of the characters and used 3D scanning to get them on a computer. IIRC, they also had pictures of them doing that.

Today, they don't have to go so far. They have the tools to make near realistic character designs. Based on what we've seen with DS, that's what we're approaching. Thus, it wasn't all the Dreamcast. The PS4, after all, is 100x more powerful than that.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby Nankeiro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:09 pm

It's so good to finally watch such expected teaser! The work made so far is so great and they really have shown us a big improvement, in my opinion.

There has to have a lot of work on expressions yet, of course, but this teaser is a wonder to me. What a surprise!
Nankeiro
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Xandui » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:13 pm

For folks like Peter who saw footage back at that meetup in Japan, how much of this teaser is exactly the same footage vs new stuff? I'm curious how representative of the current state of development this is.
Xandui
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Rakim » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:14 pm

pros: the music is still amazing. backgrounds/environments look beautiful.
cons: characters still look like garbage. the action looks forced and unexciting. the logo.

This team can do better and they know it. Start cracking the whip Yu!
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BigTuna » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:52 pm

I'm fucking speechless! It's only gonna get better from here. This is only the beginning..

The font does bug me. I don't know why they decided to fix what wasn't broken. But if that's my only complaint. Then I really shouldn't be complaining. I'm beyond happy right now.
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Amir » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:08 am

Made a 15 second "highlight reel":

phpBB [video]

Amir has received a thanks from: elfshadowreaper
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby SledgeNE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:18 am

What a wonderful morning surprise for me. It looks so beautiful. The characters looks great. A wonderful Teaser. The new Font is not so bad, but the old is more original.
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:51 am

My god, that was so fucking worth that wait :D

The environments and lighting look gorgeous; the assets look excellent; and those fighting sequences... man! This is Shenmue all the way, albeit noticeably more cinematic in its approach.

Shenhua still looks derpy and completely generic, but Ryo looks much better in motion than the Deep Silver press release had many of us believe. Either way, the game is still far from completion, and as far as character models and (especially) facial animations are concerned, I don't doubt for a second these will be amended and ironed out further down the line.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, DROP THAT FUCKING FONT, THOUGH, BRAH!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:06 am

Environments are looking gorgeous.

Characters are still looking like shit. Obviously, they still lack proper animations, especially facial animations, but it's not just that. Compared to the lovely level of detail we're seeing on the environments, character models' graphics (namely, their textures) are just plain bad and it's jarring seeing such plasticky and undetailed character models in such a detailed and gorgeous world.

Now, I'm not too worried (yet), because it's quite obvious that there's still a lot of work that's going to be done on the characters (at least, it'd better be. And Shenhua needs to be completely redone, in my opinion).
What I don't understand is why Suzuki-san chose to show the characters at such an early, unfinished stage. Teasers are supposed to entice and, well, tease, people, but this video is mostly attracting ridicule all over the internet and, really, they should've seen it coming.

In my opinion, they should have shown only environments videos, for now. Yes, this is work-in-progress, but you can only make a first impression once and this is the internet, people are both stupid and virulent.
Last edited by O Rei do Frango Assado on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:13 am

If you want to hear something trippy, play the trailer at 0.25 speed. Shenhua's theme becomes sinister.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:17 am

Having red-shirt muscle guy in two locations makes me think that he's a placeholder in at least one of them.

Maybe that fight on the Great Wall will be with Lan Di in the final game...?
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:31 am

Amir wrote: Having red-shirt muscle guy in two locations makes me think that he's a placeholder in at least one of them.

Maybe that fight on the Great Wall will be with Lan Di in the final game...?

I do wonder... there's a chance he's a recurring rival though.

Either way the Great Wall of China is a great fucking place for a fight sequence. I imagine Mr Muscles is the first "boss" fight of the game.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Mo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:32 am

I gotta say it pains me to say this because I was waiting for the moment of having a trailer for Shenmue III, a game that I was dreaming of becoming a reality, but honestly similar to how they redesigned the Shenmue tree I´m not satisfied with some of the redesigns.

Positive:
-I like the mo-cap and animations.
-The environments looks beautiful.
-The camera movement is very Shenmue-esque, which I love.

Negativ:
-Shenhua as a whole - She doesn`t look Chinese in the slightest, nor does she look like the old Shenhua. Also I could understand having her change clothes but having her wear different clothes in the end-scene of Shenmue II is unacceptable. I also think that her new clothes look rather boring compared to her Shenmue I&II outfit and her hair is short sometimes, and sometimes it`s long, which is weird. I don`t like how she looks period.
-The logo doesn`t look good. It lacks elegance.
-The cave - It could be the lighting but somehow it doesn`t look magical and made of phantom river stone. Take out the two huge mirrors and the cave in this new footage wouldn`t look like anything special. The cave in SII however, as I said, has something very magical to it.
-Eyes apparently don`t move.

I know this is work in progress and I do think that stuff like eye-movement and character texturing is stuff that will change and get better but some of the artistic choices, like changing the appearance of stuff like the Shenmue tree (which looks more like the cherry tree in front of the dojo), Shenhua appearance or even the cave makes me worried...
Master Mo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:49 am

Backgrounds and environments look absolutely incredible but the models, i'm sorry look very bad. They look like user created characters in WWE games or Saints Row. Shenhua changed her clothes? I'm not bitching just wondering why the textures in 2001 look more lived in and real like Ryo's jacket and marks on his face are better? And Ryo's pupils don;t even move, I imagine this will all be fixed and more details comes on the character designs when they got closer to release but for now it does need quite a bit of improvement. The animations look amazing though.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III