Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:36 pm

SheepheadCG wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:Although I loved the teaser, I still didn't like neither Ryo's nor Shenhua's model. They need a step in the right direction so I'm just encouraging them to use the perfect models. The ones I posted are the top two Ryo models so once they pinpoint the best one, we will have that other Shenhua model and one of the two Ryos. How cool would that be?!

It's just a never ending spiral though lol. As Spaghetti said, You linked them 2 pictures that YOU like, but other people might not like them. In the end, it will always come down to personal preference. I think it is just better for Yu to do what he thinks is best (and this is what will ultimately probably happen). You also have to remember that we do not know the whole picture. We've seen the unfinished, un-animated, dry facial expression models within a 90 second video. Yu and his team have seen the models in every location that is currently created in the game, with every lighting scenario, at every angle and with facial tech implemented. To put it straight, we know nothing and they know a hell of a lot more. Please remember this. People on here see one image from 1 angle with 1 light source and they start flipping out. They know more than us, have more experience than us, and can therefore make a much better call on what is and what is not good.

If we get to E3 next year or even Gamescom and then as a majority, people are still not happy with Ryo and Shenhua, then it makes sense to raise our opinions. Currently, as I have said over and over for the last 3 days, it is a work in progress.

Couldn't agree with Spaghetti's post more. Cheering the team on, defending the game and helping keep the moral up is very important, but trying to change how Yu wants to make the game is something that we should (and something that we should want to) stay away from. Just because we gave our financial support to the Kickstarter does not mean that we have the right to steer development. It is Yu's gift to the fans, and it should stay that way.

I know that they are WIP but still the models I've posted are pretty much perfect. Like, he can't look any better. Seriously, the only complaints I've heard about them is that he looks "too cool"! Yes, you heard that right. And my answer to that is Ryo is a badass so why wouldn't he look like one?!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:40 pm

At the end of the day, maybe being obsessive fans is kind of a weakness. We're too fragile and freak out too easily.

Like for example, the fact that Ryo and Shenhua's models aren't done. I've seen people say "WHAT?! AFTER NEARLY TWO YEARS THEY'RE NOT DONEEEEE?!?!?!", but if I was in the position of making a game with a limited budget and limited time, and a modeler came to me with something improved but unfinished with another another load of characters to be created, I'd probably say "good enough, we'll get back to it later, start working on the next thing" too. That's not even accounting for the fact other areas need to be focused on to make a game.

Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby elmatto » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Looks amazing. I think i'm in the minority though in that the faces need some work. Ryos face in particular looks a bit odd.
elmatto
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Is it so hard to understand that it makes no sense as fans to suggest to Yu Suzuki how Ryo, Shenhua and the other characters should look?
What if every single Shenmue fan gives advices on how the characters should look? Or the colors, the artistic direction, the story?

How could this be of any help to Yu Suzuki and his team?

Yu knows what he has to do and more importantly, he knows what he wants to do. It's his creation, his story, his vision.
Not ours. We loved and love the Shenmue Series because of the vision he sticked to.

If our opinion is asked (like for the "new" logo) I'll say, fine, give your opinion.
In any other case, can we just support the Team and leave them create Shenmue 3 in the best possible conditions?
Isn't it enough to know that +74'000 backers will feel sooner or later that Yu Suzuki owns them a say on the artistic, technical or whatever choice he has to make because it's my money he is using for creating the game?

Damn! Where is this "Leave Britney alone!!!" when you need it...!?!

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:44 pm

Kudos to you my man.

phpBB [video]

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Downside to Kickstarter. Everybody thinks they own a piece.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Sonoshee, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:51 pm

If they don't make Ryo or Shenhua look anywhere close to the models I've posted, I will be disappointed. You see, it's quite apparent that those are exactly what they should be aiming for. I mean come on, how else can they look? Still, I know that Yu Suzuki is a very smart guy so I trust him to do the right thing.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Centrale » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote: If they don't make Ryo or Shenhua look anywhere close to the models I've posted, I will be disappointed. You see, it's quite apparent that those are exactly what they should be aiming for.

If you are fluent in Japanese, you may apply to become the art director... otherwise yours is one opinion among thousands. All you can do is politely make your suggestion and then sit back and see what happens. Kickstarter is a platform for donations, not investments. Follow the cue of the real investors, who are allowing Yu Suzuki to pursue his vision.

Centrale has received 4 thanks from: Asthenia®, SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
Mystere wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote: Great news! I messaged YSNet on Kickstarter and basically suggested to them how they should make Ryo and Shenhua look like. Here's what they said: "Thank you very much for the words of encouragement and the advice. We will be sure to pass the info along!

Best Regards,
Joel & the Shenmue III Team"

What did you suggest?

This http://i.imgur.com/fzvjQyn.jpg and this http://i.imgur.com/JIThlIf.jpg I'm a perfectionist and an OCD type of guy so I wasn't sure which Ryo was better. With Shenhua though, I made it clear that it was perfect. You can't go wrong with either Ryo though!

I presume you're not the only person to suggest pics to YSnet. One day Suzuki-san said he's aware of fan requests regarding charadesign.

I like your tastes btw.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Shenmue_Legend
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 am

Spaghetti wrote: Downside to Kickstarter. Everybody thinks they own a piece.

If you think kickstarter is bad because of that, having an investor breathing down your neck for deadlines is ten times worse.

One of the reasons why so many KS projects fail is due to lack of financial states. Regarding Shenmue III, it looks like YS is doing most of the heavy lifting and no young dev managed to stand out.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:49 am

Regarding the character models, why don't we have a poll or some sort of vote to determine which Ryo and which Shenhua model is the best? At least this way, we'll know what the majority on this site think.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:27 pm

The trailer is quite awful, it's not going to convince anyone that isn't a Shenmue fan to jump on board. It looked like one of those random Unreal prototypes fans make and not something from a professional studio. I don't get why they didn't just include the facial animations they took out as that would be better then the blank stares. Even throwing a message at the start of the trailer saying the faces are in development or a 30 second clip of Yu in his office saying this is just to show off tone.

I was on Twitter when the trailer went live and it doesn't take long for people to find issues with things, now the faces are constantly going to be made fun of until we see something better because only the hardcore Shenmue fans will read interviews. It's a shame because the backlash could have easily been prevented and I'm surprised no one internally stood up and said it's a bad idea to show it after the Mass Effect and Street Fighter face backlash. Within 5 minutes I saw Gifs showing the flaws and the majority taking the piss. You want these people on your side as it's your general game fan that will make the game a success financially.

Hopefully with Deep Silver assisting now things like this can be improved, ever since the Kickstarter started I've scratched my head at how things have been done.

With that all said and done as soon as the music kicked in I looked like the Cheshire Cat with the grin I was pulling from watching the trailer. Shenmue isn't my favourite game ever but I love the series and it finally hit home to me that we was getting Shenmue III. I've spent more on this game then I've ever spent on a game before but I've not really thought about it much but now it finally seems real and within reaching distance. I followed the Kickstarter campaign and watched Yu's live streams but as soon as the Kickstarter ended and I pledged my money it seemed so far away that it wasn't worth thinking about. Now I'm worried about if we will get Shenmue HD before this so I can carry over my capsule toys.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby RootyKazooty » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:25 pm

I hope Yu Suzuki completely ignores all input from the fans.
I don't want a democratically elected Shenmue III.
I want one man's vision, just like Shenmue I and II.

God knows what the Mona Lisa would look like if she was painted by committee.
Let the master do his work.
When has he ever disappointed?
RootyKazooty
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:25 am

Riku Rose wrote:I don't get why they didn't just include the facial animations they took out as that would be better then the blank stares.

To this point; they were removed because there was an issue that basically caused a halting of work on them for two months. Putting them back in might have been worse than the blank faces without animation.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:31 am

RootyKazooty wrote: God knows what the Mona Lisa would look like if she was painted by committee.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: SledgeNE, Spaghetti, Switch
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III