Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:24 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:I don't get why they didn't just include the facial animations they took out as that would be better then the blank stares.

To this point; they were removed because there was an issue that basically caused a halting of work on them for two months. Putting them back in might have been worse than the blank faces without animation.

Yeah I'm aware of that but interviewers have confirmed that they've been shown footage of the faces moving before they removed them and it looked better. My point was that it would have been better to show the old version of the trailer with the faces moving then the version we got.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby KidMarine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:31 am

Unquestionably. I hope Deep Silver takes over marketing from now on. YS is a great game maker, but PR isn't his strong suit.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:47 am

There is another major reason the faces were removed (I think), but give us some time to get home and put some more interviews up.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Hazuki00, KidMarine, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:00 am

Riku Rose wrote:Yeah I'm aware of that but interviewers have confirmed that they've been shown footage of the faces moving before they removed them and it looked better. My point was that it would have been better to show the old version of the trailer with the faces moving then the version we got.

The VG 24/7 interview? They were shown an animation test rather than the same scene with animations.

[Suzuki opens his laptop and brings up an internal, unreleased development video showing facial animation tests for Ryo and Shenhua. The animations look fairly decent, and certainly avoid the dead-eyed stares seen in the recent Shenmue footage or Andromeda-style exaggeration.]
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:11 am

Riku Rose wrote:
Yeah I'm aware of that but interviewers have confirmed that they've been shown footage of the faces moving before they removed them and it looked better. My point was that it would have been better to show the old version of the trailer with the faces moving then the version we got.

That would have made sense. I suppose compiling a build backup was a too complicated task and a waste of time. Depends of the history of implementations into the build.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:23 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:Yeah I'm aware of that but interviewers have confirmed that they've been shown footage of the faces moving before they removed them and it looked better. My point was that it would have been better to show the old version of the trailer with the faces moving then the version we got.

The VG 24/7 interview? They were shown an animation test rather than the same scene with animations.

[Suzuki opens his laptop and brings up an internal, unreleased development video showing facial animation tests for Ryo and Shenhua. The animations look fairly decent, and certainly avoid the dead-eyed stares seen in the recent Shenmue footage or Andromeda-style exaggeration.]

My bad, I was just going off memory and thought they saw the same trailer. I still think they should have had a disclaimer or message from Yu at the start though explaining why the faces aren't moving.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:57 am

Riku Rose wrote:My bad, I was just going off memory and thought they saw the same trailer. I still think they should have had a disclaimer or message from Yu at the start though explaining why the faces aren't moving.

No worries.

YSnet showed too much faith in people being able to realise this was heavily WIP, or even read the video description when the teaser launched.

I think people probably would have bitched about it all the same even with a huge disclaimer about it, though. I remember way back even in October 2015 people having a whine about the graphics of the earliest experimentation in the prototype.

Still, the only way is up now. I hope Yu goes through with the idea of revisiting parts shown in the teaser for their first proper promotional effort, just for the sake of side-by-side comparison of improvements.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:00 pm

KidMarine wrote: Unquestionably. I hope Deep Silver takes over marketing from now on. YS is a great game maker, but PR isn't his strong suit.

No thanks. Haven't you seen their last cinematic masterpiece?
https://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774 ... asterclass

At least we're getting honesty from YSNet, despite the lack of information at times.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 am

Sappharad wrote:
KidMarine wrote: Unquestionably. I hope Deep Silver takes over marketing from now on. YS is a great game maker, but PR isn't his strong suit.

No thanks. Haven't you seen their last cinematic masterpiece?
https://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774 ... asterclass

At least we're getting honesty from YSNet, despite the lack of information at times.

Yeah... This concerns me the most. Apologies here, but western marketing often feel the need to overlay words across the trailer whether written or spoken, it's just cringe worthy. Let the visuals and music speak for itself.

I was looking around for a decent trailer for Couching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but I couldn't find one where the music and visuals are well just left to speak for themselves. Instead we are treated with meaningless cliches:
    "Land of eternal beauty and infinite mystery."
    "A legend was born"
    " A warrior"
    "The woman he loved"
    "A daring outlaw"
The cliches just don't end.. so painful. The music the trailer used is some generic Asian type music not even featured in the movie. The music from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon by Tan Dun is just so profound and moving much like Shenmue's amazing soundtrack.

If Deep Silver go with something similar as to Mighty Number 9. I'm sure plenty of people will be turned away from all the cheesiness and start judging it as something they don't need to play as some B-Grade Hong Kong action flick.

I would say DreamcastersTube cuts are my preferred trailer type (minus the rather annoying introduction s/he puts in)
phpBB [video]

I suppose if you put Morning Fog's Wave with any Shenmue footage is going to be pretty special.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:14 am

Kind of pointing out the obvious here; that Mighty Number 9 trailer was an embarrassment from Deep Silver's perspective too, and hopefully something they've learned from.

Don't start the hand-wringing yet.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:28 am

My take from all the Gamescom situation is that it confirms Shenmue 3 will never be as "polished and refined" as Shenmue 1+2 (which we all have to accept), but if it sells well enough it can be the door to a properly funded Shenmue 4.

And thats the real struggle here, since people will compare it without mercy to properly funded games (like they already have after the teaser) developed by studios with tens of devs. Imho the quality of the atmosphere and the gameplay will make or break the game's commercial success, we are in the hands of Yu.

The good news is with Deep Silver we gained a new source of funding nobody was expecting, and i hope they can/will delay the release to 2019.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KidMarine » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: My take from all the Gamescom situation is that it confirms Shenmue 3 will never be as "polished and refined" as Shenmue 1+2

Um, not really sure where you're getting that from...
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:01 am

It's still too early to make that call on polish, IMO.

If the circumstances of the teaser being released weren't what we know they are, then it'd be a fair assessment, but in context with what's come out through interviews YSnet still deserve the benefit of the doubt that they can really shape the game up.

And y'know, there are a few areas where Shenmue III sounds like it could exceed the predecessors. Tying side-activities more into the core of the game (which is sort of a budget thing too, if they're going to make it, it needs strong justification), splitting the difference between Shenmue & Shenmue II with different types of game worlds in Bailu and Choubu, mechanics like the Rapport System to greatly increase how your actions affect NPCs, etc.

I would argue that even right now, Shenmue III has the best realisation of the world the series wants to represent. That's mostly a technology thing afforded by UE4, but they've already done a great job making this really striking, unique, and genuinely beautiful looking game world. And they're not even finished yet.

It feels like a lot of the parts are there to make something great, but the project needs more time, money, and manpower to tie it all together and improve its presentation.

And lucky for us, that's exactly what Shenmue III has just got with the delay and Deep Silver deal.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: KidMarine
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:12 am

It has been admitted the trailer was a hodgepodge of content far too early to be shown, but they were excited to just try and show something and jumped the gun.

I'm not worried--Deep Silver had a hard lesson learned for MN9, but let's be real--MN9 had already shown itself to be nothing like what was promised long before that. No self-admitted WIP, etc. It was a disaster far different than Shenmue III, which isn't even on the same course, honestly.

Shenmue III's environments and even preliminary character models show they are on track to make good, whereas MN9 looked absolutely nothing like the target renders. At all.

MN9 was announcing Kickstarters for games and animes before the actual game even came out that people had backed.

As far as polish, Yu has shown in at least one interview a character model far improved than the ones in the teaser were. We are still at least 12-16 months from release of this game, possibly more.

It *could* get delayed into 2019, but that depends on the extent of DS' pockets and if YsNet doesn't expand upon their dev team(which they may).

All eyes should be on PSX now. I have a feeling it will show up looking far better there, the start of all the magic to come.

Valascaziel has received 2 thanks from: KidMarine, Spaghetti
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:26 am

Mm. Looking to the future, the only way is up.

On PSX, I'd personally rather see YSnet biding their time until they're absolutely ready to show again, but you never know what kind of improvements can be made in the next four months. It depends what work they focus on for the rest of the year. If it's around animations, lighting, models, etc, then I think we'll see it again by the end of the year. If not, 2018.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III