Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:27 am

KidMarine wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote: My take from all the Gamescom situation is that it confirms Shenmue 3 will never be as "polished and refined" as Shenmue 1+2

Um, not really sure where you're getting that from...

Uh, because the game has a far smaller budget? I mean, even Yu himself said in one of the recent interviews that back in 99' he was managing around 200 employees but the situation now is completely different.

Shenmue 1&2 were AAA games made by a huge studio, if you are expecting the same production values for Shenmue 3 you are in for a rude awakening.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:35 am

Addendum:

Of note, based on the newer models Suzuki showed on hos laptop, we have no idea how much further the game has really progressed. Much of the trailer was early footage, possibly a few months old at the time it was revealed.

A lot can change in 4 months, especially considering what we saw may not be indicative of current standing.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:35 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:Uh, because the game has a far smaller budget? I mean, even Yu himself said in one of the recent interviews that back in 99' he was managing around 200 employees but the situation now is completely different.

Shenmue 1&2 were AAA games made by a huge studio, if you are expecting the same production values for Shenmue 3 you are in for a rude awakening.

Yu also said:

However, to our advantage is that over these 17 years game engines have evolved considerably, and development efficiency has increased. At the same time, they have become "black boxes", and it has become more difficult to address fine details. While on the one hand, there are things we can't do the same as Shenmue 1 and 2, on the other hand previously we weren't able to produce such good-looking graphics. Considering both the pluses and the minuses... it's a hard call. [smiles wrly]

It's not a black and white issue. There are drawbacks and benefits, but until the game crosses the finish line and releases, we don't know how well these benefits have been used to minimalise the drawbacks, y'know?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:45 am

Shenmue 1+2 got an unlimited budget but did suffer from a handful of significant constraints. For instance, we could have had so much more content if GD-Rom empty space was not so tight.
Basing on his interviews, Yu is throwing all the fetish polish in the bin and that's enough to let him do what he's want. The only remaining grip on him was the open world thing but since Deep Silver entered the party, the road now looks barrier-free for YSnet.

Anyway, I can't be disappointed since I prefer to view Shenmue 3 as a super fanmade project leaded by the best guest star available. That's pretty much it.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:52 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote:Uh, because the game has a far smaller budget? I mean, even Yu himself said in one of the recent interviews that back in 99' he was managing around 200 employees but the situation now is completely different.

Yu also said:

However, to our advantage is that over these 17 years game engines have evolved considerably, and development efficiency has increased. At the same time, they have become "black boxes", and it has become more difficult to address fine details. While on the one hand, there are things we can't do the same as Shenmue 1 and 2, on the other hand previously we weren't able to produce such good-looking graphics. Considering both the pluses and the minuses... it's a hard call. [smiles wrly]

It's not a black and white issue. There are drawbacks and benefits, but until the game crosses the finish line and releases, we don't know how well these benefits have been used to minimalise the drawbacks, y'know?

We are saying 2 different things spaghetti :)

You are saying that we use cars now and not horses anymore, while im saying to not expect a Ferrari as we'll probably get an oldish Porsche at best. :D
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:02 am

Tempering expectations is fine, but a blanket statement about polish and refinement doesn't really match up.

It's not a binary situation, is what I'm saying.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 am

Yokosuka wrote:Basing on his interviews, Yu is throwing all the fetish polish in the bin

Again, I'm not really seeing this.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Peter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:16 am

Ok so finally back and had a decent amount of sleep for the first time in a week.

There is a SHIT load of material to read through, so instead of drafting up a million replies, I am going to make a video reading through all of the comments and whatnot. It's easier then for me to articulate my thoughts and responses.

Peter has received 6 thanks from: alexironaek, celsowm, Jibby, Kiske, shenhaZ, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jibby » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:43 am

Welcome back! It's been a crazy week here on the Dojo.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby celsowm » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Does any Dojo member have had access to the "extended trailer" ?
Peter?
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby fittersau » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:17 pm

Peter wrote: Ok so finally back and had a decent amount of sleep for the first time in a week.

There is a SHIT load of material to read through, so instead of drafting up a million replies, I am going to make a video reading through all of the comments and whatnot. It's easier then for me to articulate my thoughts and responses.

Hey Pete, my only question is about the trailer and what you saw in the KS dinner, is it comparable to what you saw or gone further ahead?
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 pm

We were asked not to say this time. But hopefully it won't be a long wait until it's released.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Gastarot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:55 am

Someone for remake the Teaser of Gamescom with the original Shenmue logo ? and take out the scenes without expressions :mrgreen:

if i have time i want to do this... but i dont have time... it's really easy with final cut or other software.
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 am

So, i finally saw the trailer (was on vacation in a place with a really unstable connection) and... what the fuck? From all the comments i read last week i was expecting waaaaaaay worse. The environments are already at an acceptable level and just need some refining, while characters obviously are far behind but not totally terrible like the comments made me think.

And the atmosphere just screams Shenmue to me,which is one of the most important things.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:19 am

Do you remember this picture of "Manabu Takimoto" Bailu concept drawing posted by Switch back in June 2016?

viewtopic.php?p=1134422#p1134422

How many theories about the meaning of this scene and which characters were depicted?

Well... mystery solved I guess. :mrgreen:

I'm genuinely amazed by how much the WIP (!) result looks better than anything I was expecting.
Everything feels so Shenmue to me in this scene. :heart:
Last edited by Kiske on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiske has received 5 thanks from: alexironaek, Centrale, Spaghetti, Switch, Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III