Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Centrale » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:28 am

If you're seriously going to be upset that the story continues through Shenmue III into IV and possibly others, then you can simply avoid playing them and then after a number of years you can read about what happened after the cave on a wiki. YS has already stated the story is not ending in III.

Centrale has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005
User avatar
Centrale
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue

Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:59 pm

ConanTheKing wrote:
Peter wrote: Is the Yakuza games and AAA games the only games you play and thus hold Shenmue 3 to the same mark to? You have a very tunneled vision of today's modern gaming.


Well comparisons need to be made somewhere to give a frame of reference so stop the condescending attitude.

Peter wrote: You are going on about scaling the game back and ending it, which is never gonna happen.


The game is going to be inevitably scaled back, it will never be the ground breaking epic Shenmue 1 and 2.

Peter wrote: It's been explained in the Kickstarter and numerous interviews what this game will be, how big it will be, that it won't end with 3. Why are you drabbling in about stuff that really doesn't matter?


Don't tell me it doesn't matter, I've been waiting for what seems to be over a decade for this game. Do you honestly think waiting over a decade for an answer to the cliffhanger from one of my favorite games doesn't matter? I don't want a repeat of that with Shenmue 4.


You've been waiting 15 years for a series to continue, and now you want the series to end. Logic is not your strong suit.

If the only thing you're worried about with Shenmue is the conclusion, you are missing the point. Trust me, reading the story or getting it in some non-interactive form would be extremely underwhelming. The story is nice and all, but it's only great because of the whole package that it's included in.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwiceFriedRice has received 3 thanks from: SheepheadCG, Suzuki Yu, VukBZ2005
User avatar
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: May 2003
Wii U: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby punkmanced » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:35 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
If the only thing you're worried about with Shenmue is the conclusion, you are missing the point. Trust me, reading the story or getting it in some non-interactive form would be extremely underwhelming. The story is nice and all, but it's only great because of the whole package that it's included in.


Absolutely. In Shenmue, the journey is what's most important.

I think that, at this point, it's best to forget that there once was a time when Shenmue fans were desperate enough to wish for a manga ending.
User avatar
punkmanced
Dojo Donor
Dojo Donor
 
Joined: May 2003
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby ReeceKun » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Glad they fixed the Ryo Model , dunno why they cant just use the passport model, he's got those angry eyebrows

Also If It doesnt end with Shenmue 3.. well, they'd be dumb not to re-release 1 and 2 (in some form) Fan power is one thing but if the General Public isnt behind the saga, I'd be worried for a fourth installment

and if the shenmue 3 save file doesnt work in shenmue 4 there will he hell to pay !
The Shenmue Scrolls (Skyrim Mod) Project is canceled as I have started to learn Unreal Engine 4.
I may start a Shenmue Remake Project after Shenmue3 is released.
User avatar
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: November 2009
Location: North Wales (UK)
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:25 pm

I was going to reply to that ConanTheKing dude but it looks like you guys got it sorted. The Shenmue fan base here is truly awesome! Also, TwiceFriedRice do you have the extended trailer? Please let me see it, Thanks!
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:27 pm

punkmanced wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:
If the only thing you're worried about with Shenmue is the conclusion, you are missing the point. Trust me, reading the story or getting it in some non-interactive form would be extremely underwhelming. The story is nice and all, but it's only great because of the whole package that it's included in.


Absolutely dead on. Couldn't have said it any better!
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby ConanTheKing » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:46 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
You've been waiting 15 years for a series to continue, and now you want the series to end. Logic is not your strong suit.

If the only thing you're worried about with Shenmue is the conclusion, you are missing the point. Trust me, reading the story or getting it in some non-interactive form would be extremely underwhelming. The story is nice and all, but it's only great because of the whole package that it's included in.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Are you telling me that people did not want a conclusion for the past 15 years and then go on to tell me that logic is not my strong point? Because it's as if you have an issue with me wanting the franchise to end so I can enjoy the complete story. It's a little over due at this point.

I would rather that we have a AAA epic of course, but let's be realistic here. There is a reason why everyone is laughing at the trailer and a sense of confusion as to why exists on this forum. It is as if some people have rose tinted glasses on and can't see clearly. However, that's fine. Logic isn't everyone's strongest point.

Centrale wrote: If you're seriously going to be upset that the story continues through Shenmue III into IV and possibly others, then you can simply avoid playing them and then after a number of years you can read about what happened after the cave on a wiki. YS has already stated the story is not ending in III.


It's like people totally forgot that they hated waiting for the past 15 years. I don't want a repeat of that and I am pretty sure most people don't want that and furthermore, I don't see why that's a bad thing. I don't see where the whole wiki thing came from either.
User avatar
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: June 2015
PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:23 am

ConanTheKing wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:
You've been waiting 15 years for a series to continue, and now you want the series to end. Logic is not your strong suit.

If the only thing you're worried about with Shenmue is the conclusion, you are missing the point. Trust me, reading the story or getting it in some non-interactive form would be extremely underwhelming. The story is nice and all, but it's only great because of the whole package that it's included in.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Are you telling me that people did not want a conclusion for the past 15 years and then go on to tell me that logic is not my strong point? Because it's as if you have an issue with me wanting the franchise to end so I can enjoy the complete story. It's a little over due at this point.

I would rather that we have a AAA epic of course, but let's be realistic here. There is a reason why everyone is laughing at the trailer and a sense of confusion as to why exists on this forum. It is as if some people have rose tinted glasses on and can't see clearly. However, that's fine. Logic isn't everyone's strongest point.

Centrale wrote: If you're seriously going to be upset that the story continues through Shenmue III into IV and possibly others, then you can simply avoid playing them and then after a number of years you can read about what happened after the cave on a wiki. YS has already stated the story is not ending in III.


It's like people totally forgot that they hated waiting for the past 15 years. I don't want a repeat of that and I am pretty sure most people don't want that and furthermore, I don't see why that's a bad thing. I don't see where the whole wiki thing came from either.


Nice straw man. And I like how you completely ignored my 2nd paragraph.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: May 2003
Wii U: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:02 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
ConanTheKing wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:
You've been waiting 15 years for a series to continue, and now you want the series to end. Logic is not your strong suit.

If the only thing you're worried about with Shenmue is the conclusion, you are missing the point. Trust me, reading the story or getting it in some non-interactive form would be extremely underwhelming. The story is nice and all, but it's only great because of the whole package that it's included in.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Are you telling me that people did not want a conclusion for the past 15 years and then go on to tell me that logic is not my strong point? Because it's as if you have an issue with me wanting the franchise to end so I can enjoy the complete story. It's a little over due at this point.

I would rather that we have a AAA epic of course, but let's be realistic here. There is a reason why everyone is laughing at the trailer and a sense of confusion as to why exists on this forum. It is as if some people have rose tinted glasses on and can't see clearly. However, that's fine. Logic isn't everyone's strongest point.

Centrale wrote: If you're seriously going to be upset that the story continues through Shenmue III into IV and possibly others, then you can simply avoid playing them and then after a number of years you can read about what happened after the cave on a wiki. YS has already stated the story is not ending in III.


It's like people totally forgot that they hated waiting for the past 15 years. I don't want a repeat of that and I am pretty sure most people don't want that and furthermore, I don't see why that's a bad thing. I don't see where the whole wiki thing came from either.


Nice straw man. And I like how you completely ignored my 2nd paragraph.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Same could be said for your post. I think Yu focusing on a smaller project might be worth while and all you could muster was "your logic lol" without addressing my actual concerns.

This validates what Delta said on the previous page, any criticism results in a negative response rather than an actual discussion. Do you want to know why I didn't address your second paragraph? Because different gamers have different expectations, some are in it for the gameplay, the atmosphere, the graphics while I am in it for the story and atmosphere. It's not fair for you to tell me I am missing the point because I could easily turn that around and say the same for you but I am not trying to speak for every Shenmue fan.

So if you want to respond then please do so without passive aggressive statements and try to engage in a discussion.
User avatar
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: June 2015
PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:09 am

ConanTheKing wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:
ConanTheKing wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:
You've been waiting 15 years for a series to continue, and now you want the series to end. Logic is not your strong suit.

If the only thing you're worried about with Shenmue is the conclusion, you are missing the point. Trust me, reading the story or getting it in some non-interactive form would be extremely underwhelming. The story is nice and all, but it's only great because of the whole package that it's included in.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Are you telling me that people did not want a conclusion for the past 15 years and then go on to tell me that logic is not my strong point? Because it's as if you have an issue with me wanting the franchise to end so I can enjoy the complete story. It's a little over due at this point.

I would rather that we have a AAA epic of course, but let's be realistic here. There is a reason why everyone is laughing at the trailer and a sense of confusion as to why exists on this forum. It is as if some people have rose tinted glasses on and can't see clearly. However, that's fine. Logic isn't everyone's strongest point.

Centrale wrote: If you're seriously going to be upset that the story continues through Shenmue III into IV and possibly others, then you can simply avoid playing them and then after a number of years you can read about what happened after the cave on a wiki. YS has already stated the story is not ending in III.


It's like people totally forgot that they hated waiting for the past 15 years. I don't want a repeat of that and I am pretty sure most people don't want that and furthermore, I don't see why that's a bad thing. I don't see where the whole wiki thing came from either.


Nice straw man. And I like how you completely ignored my 2nd paragraph.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Same could be said for your post. I think Yu focusing on a smaller project might be worth while and all you could muster was "your logic lol" without addressing my actual concerns.

This validates what Delta said on the previous page, any criticism results in a negative response rather than an actual discussion. Do you want to know why I didn't address your second paragraph? Because different gamers have different expectations, some are in it for the gameplay, the atmosphere, the graphics while I am in it for the story and atmosphere. It's not fair for you to tell me I am missing the point because I could easily turn that around and say the same for you but I am not trying to speak for every Shenmue fan.


You were talking about a smaller project so the story gets finished, which is absurd. I play Shenmue because I like video games as an interactive medium, I really can't fathom how anyone could think differently. That's the entire point of video games, to be interactive entertainment. If you think Shenmue's story is worthy of standing on its own as a novel or even a film, than perhaps you need to stretch out your palette a little more.

You wanting the story to be concluded right away means you are more worried about the end than how you get there, and that's a sad tale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: May 2003
Wii U: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:24 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote:

You were talking about a smaller project so the story gets finished, which is absurd. I play Shenmue because I like video games as an interactive medium, I really can't fathom how anyone could think differently. That's the entire point of video games, to be interactive entertainment. If you think Shenmue's story is worthy of standing on its own as a novel or even a film, than perhaps you need to stretch out your palette a little more.

You wanting the story to be concluded right away means you are more worried about the end than how you get there, and that's a sad tale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


This is what I mean, these overly passive aggressive comments that while they are not as vulgar as the comments on YouTube serve no purpose in a discussion other than be insulting.

Well two can play at that game. Of course I love Shenmue 1 and 2 as they are, I wouldn't be here otherwise. However, while I would love for Shenmue 3 to be just as ground breaking as those two you have to be delusional to think that can be achieved on the budget that has been raised by the kickstarter and I highly doubt the Slacker Backer numbers have even come close to those numbers. Thankfully my memory span lasts longer than a fish and I know that generally most kickstarts fail or turn out poor results. Of course there is an exception to every rule and just in case I backed a considerable amount of money as a gamble but I'm not going to sit there with a finger up my backside and pretend everything is great when Sonic the Hedgehog on the Genesis was more expressive.

If I had to choose between a really bad 3D game or something like DanganRonpa then I would happily choose to have an experience like DanganRonpa. It's not ideal, but it will provide closure and can still be atmospheric and deliver a well told story. Why is that a problem?

ConanTheKing has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
User avatar
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: June 2015
PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:08 am

ConanTheKing wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:

You were talking about a smaller project so the story gets finished, which is absurd. I play Shenmue because I like video games as an interactive medium, I really can't fathom how anyone could think differently. That's the entire point of video games, to be interactive entertainment. If you think Shenmue's story is worthy of standing on its own as a novel or even a film, than perhaps you need to stretch out your palette a little more.

You wanting the story to be concluded right away means you are more worried about the end than how you get there, and that's a sad tale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


This is what I mean, these overly passive aggressive comments that while they are not as vulgar as the comments on YouTube serve no purpose in a discussion other than be insulting.

Well two can play at that game. Of course I love Shenmue 1 and 2 as they are, I wouldn't be here otherwise. However, while I would love for Shenmue 3 to be just as ground breaking as those two you have to be delusional to think that can be achieved on the budget that has been raised by the kickstarter and I highly doubt the Slacker Backer numbers have even come close to those numbers. Thankfully my memory span lasts longer than a fish and I know that generally most kickstarts fail or turn out poor results. Of course there is an exception to every rule and just in case I backed a considerable amount of money as a gamble but I'm not going to sit there with a finger up my backside and pretend everything is great when Sonic the Hedgehog on the Genesis was more expressive.

If I had to choose between a really bad 3D game or something like DanganRonpa then I would happily choose to have an experience like DanganRonpa. It's not ideal, but it will provide closure and can still be atmospheric and deliver a well told story. Why is that a problem?


You clearly don't know what the word passive-aggressive means.

Another straw man. No one said the game will be on such a grand scale as the other games, and who knows if it will be what can be considered a masterpiece at this point. If it isn't, the story is the least of my concern. It's the quality of the game itself that I care about. I want to play Shenmue games because they're fun. In order for them to be fun, they need to be good games. No one gives a rats ass about the story if we can't experience it the way it was meant to be experienced.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: May 2003
Wii U: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:49 am

ConanTheKing wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:

You were talking about a smaller project so the story gets finished, which is absurd. I play Shenmue because I like video games as an interactive medium, I really can't fathom how anyone could think differently. That's the entire point of video games, to be interactive entertainment. If you think Shenmue's story is worthy of standing on its own as a novel or even a film, than perhaps you need to stretch out your palette a little more.

You wanting the story to be concluded right away means you are more worried about the end than how you get there, and that's a sad tale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


This is what I mean, these overly passive aggressive comments that while they are not as vulgar as the comments on YouTube serve no purpose in a discussion other than be insulting.

Well two can play at that game. Of course I love Shenmue 1 and 2 as they are, I wouldn't be here otherwise. However, while I would love for Shenmue 3 to be just as ground breaking as those two you have to be delusional to think that can be achieved on the budget that has been raised by the kickstarter and I highly doubt the Slacker Backer numbers have even come close to those numbers. Thankfully my memory span lasts longer than a fish and I know that generally most kickstarts fail or turn out poor results. Of course there is an exception to every rule and just in case I backed a considerable amount of money as a gamble but I'm not going to sit there with a finger up my backside and pretend everything is great when Sonic the Hedgehog on the Genesis was more expressive.

If I had to choose between a really bad 3D game or something like DanganRonpa then I would happily choose to have an experience like DanganRonpa. It's not ideal, but it will provide closure and can still be atmospheric and deliver a well told story. Why is that a problem?


Shenmue III will be a masterpiece. With a guy like Yu Suzuki and the returning team, it is guaranteed. About the budget, have you forgotten they've got a publisher now? Yeah, they're called Deep Silver. Yu-san even said that he'll be able to make "the game of his dreams' (I probably haven't quoted that correctly!) or something like that. With the Deep Silver partnership, I don't think the budget is a concern anymore.
User avatar
Shenmue_Legend
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: August 2017

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:21 am

I look at how the studios are coming on board production like Sony and Deep Silver. Granted Sony has been there since the beginning. But whatever Yu has shown must have impressed them.

Have we seen any other franchises that have been revisited after years of being dormant and have companies eager to join production? That wasn't really a question in order to make a point. I'm honestly asking.

I'm keeping my expectations low for Shenmue 3. I honestly don't expect a masterpiece but I don't think it will flop. I think Shenmue 3 is where Yu will gain a foothold with a solid game and a substantial profit which will lead to a much more fully realized Shenmue 4 and 5.

One thing that does concern me is how the gaming media will receive the game. I fully expect the big websites to criticize the game because either 1. They have no history with the franchise or 2. They just enjoy trashing fandoms they are no part of. I wish there was a way we could get out in front of this and let these places know we expect fairness when reviewing Shenmue 3. If it's a bad game, it's a bad game. But if it's a good game after 15+ years of dormancy but it's not the AAA people expect it to be, it's done what the majority of revisited franchises have failed miserably to do.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
User avatar
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: July 2008
Location: Brunswick, Ga

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:18 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote: One thing that does concern me is how the gaming media will receive the game. I fully expect the big websites to criticize the game because either 1. They have no history with the franchise or 2. They just enjoy trashing fandoms they are no part of. I wish there was a way we could get out in front of this and let these places know we expect fairness when reviewing Shenmue 3. If it's a bad game, it's a bad game. But if it's a good game after 15+ years of dormancy but it's not the AAA people expect it to be, it's done what the majority of revisited franchises have failed miserably to do.


They aren't going to criticise the game just because they enjoy trashing the fandom, is it impossible to believe that not everyone thinks Shenmue is the best thing ever? If they criticise the game it'll be because they don't enjoy it, you really think anyone outside of the fanboys will care about the history of the series when writing their review? At some point I've seen every website that reviews things called shit because someone didn't like a score they gave it. I expect the review thread on this forum to be hilarious with people tearing their hair out that someone doesn't like Shenmue because you can't just dislike the game.

Some outlets will enjoy it and some won't. Just like every other game. The idea of trying to tell people we demand fairness is embarrassing.
Image

Riku Rose has received 4 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL, SickOctopus, Yokosuka
User avatar
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2006
Location: Kent, England
Currently playing: Mario Odyssey

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 7heavens, Elevensixty, gillian_seed, SlySpy, Yahoo [Bot], Yokosuka and 37 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net