Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III teaser is FINALLY HERE!!

Postby south carmain » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:40 am

Damn, I didn't realise it would be so controversial to say something could have been handled better. Some people here sure don't like differing opinions :-"

south carmain has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 am

I don't see why people here are complaining alot. Some people here are arguing that the teaser is bad and that they should have promoted it better and all that other stuff. But I don't get it. Sure they may have been valid if it was universally accepted as bad, but that is not the case here at all. I actually thought it was great, so I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Although yes, it's also not a universally accepted good teaser. I guess some people liked it and others didn't but the negativity side is kinda overstating it a little!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:42 am

Because I want the game and series to be a success so we can get Shenmue IV. The argument is that it's not a good trailer that sells the game to the masses who they need to sell it to for this game to be a success story. Sure the 70k hardcore who contributed to Kickstarter understand it's in development and a work in progress but most people don't look into this stuff or care. But so far the game has sold only 70k copies but they still need to make back Sega, Sony, Shibuya and Deep Silvers investments to be a success. People think the game is already a success story because of Kickstarter but 70k copies sold would make it one of the biggest flops ever so you can't stop there, that's why you need to focus on non Shenmue fans.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: SickOctopus, Yokosuka
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kiske » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 am

Riku Rose wrote: Because I want the game and series to be a success so we can get Shenmue IV. The argument is that it's not a good trailer that sells the game to the masses who they need to sell it to for this game to be a success story. Sure the 70k hardcore who contributed to Kickstarter understand it's in development and a work in progress but most people don't look into this stuff or care. But so far the game has sold only 70k copies but they still need to make back Sega, Sony, Shibuya and Deep Silvers investments to be a success. People think the game is already a success story because of Kickstarter but 70k copies sold would make it one of the biggest flops ever so you can't stop there, that's why you need to focus on non Shenmue fans.

It's not that the game is going on sale tomorrow. There is at least 12 Month ahead, probably more.

Before Gamescom there was people genuinely asking on social medias if Shenmue 3 was still a thing or if it was dead.

Beside, the teaser showed very good things too and the whole project is in a far better place now with the Deep Silver deal. We can argue for days over the teaser. There are going to be other teasers/trailers, other deals and announcements hopefully positive for the whole franchise. It's a little early to go in total panic mode.

Just relax.

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:29 am

People aren't panicking. I've said I don't think it's a good trailer/teaser and people get all touchy about it so I explain why because quite a few people think nothing bad can be said about Shenmue. Saying something that isn't 100% positive doesn't mean I'm pounding on my keyboard panicking. Everytime I've explained why I don't think the teaser is very good I've said why and explained my reasons. It's the side that aren't supposedly panicking that have called people cunts and claimed people who don't like it are on a bandwagon with an agenda.

Riku Rose has received 5 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, punkmanced, SickOctopus, south carmain, Yokosuka
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:38 am

I'm not sure where any of us said this means it's the end of shenmue and will make it flop. All we've been arguing is that in this particular instance it could have been handled better. Yeah they might handle it better in the future but we're not there yet so there is no point censoring ourselves over what could or couldn't happen. Like Riku said, one side is being way more emotional than the other here.

south carmain has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kiske » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:40 am

I think that overall, Gamescom brought great news to Shenmue fans and since nobody is panicking, maybe it's time to move on and look at the future with some confidence.

Kiske has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby south carmain » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:16 am

My grandparents didn't flee the soviet union for this!
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:59 pm

Sat at my desk today I thought about how I would have handled the release of the trailer. Felt like writing it for shits and gigs and most of this was thought up in 15 minutes so it's not perfect. I also wanted my plan to cost as little money as possible.

For starters I've said since the Kickstarter that they need to create a Yu Suzuki twitter account that tweets in English, Kojima has both a Japanese Twitter and English twitter account that tweet at the same time.

5 days before the release of the trailer you release a short teaser which just shows the cave footage which fades to black and then gives a date for 5 days time with a message. "See the full trailer 22.08.17." You release this short teaser around 4:30PM BST. That way everyone on the West coast of America sees it before work, east coast sees it at lunch and Europe see it after work so you're striking when everyone is looking on Twitter/YouTube. This will create news articles and start 5 days of hype rather then the one day if you just release the trailer in full straight away. As much as people moan about teasers for teasers the fact is they work and this will get Shenmue talked about on places like Twitter and NeoGaf with people getting excited for 5 days creating their own hype. It also gives an impression that this is a big deal and something worth waiting for which can get people who aren't normally interested paying attention. Humans always want to know more and being teased makes them curious.

Every day leading up to the date at the end of the teaser you post an image or two on Twitter of a screenshot, like the ones which were posted on the PlayStation Blog. You do this at the same time everyday at 4:30PM BST. This keeps adding fuel to the hype fire for the five days between teaser and trailer.

The day of the trailer. You release the trailer yet again at the peak time for maximum coverage and exposure. Before the trailer there is a short message by Yu Suzuki who says something along the lines of.
"Hello everyone, it's been just over two years since we launched our Kickstarter and thanks to the support of our amazing fans Shenmue III will be a reality. You may have also seen recently that we've partnered with Deep Silver who're giving us amazing support which will make the game better then originally possible. I will now be able to make the Shenmue III I have always dreamed of making. To celebrate this we have a short trailer for you but I want to stress the game is still in development so some things such as the animation will not be exactly what you get when the game is released. Also I have something else very special. *Yu pulls out something that was laying around the office like a signed copy of Shenmue I on Dreamcast or a signed piece on concept art* . We will select a person at random from the list of people who retweet this video from the Shenmue twitter account to win this prize. Thank you for your time, please enjoy. *trailer plays but cut out some awkward parts*.

The result. Shenmue has been one of the most talked about games in a day for at least two different days. You're controlling the message by getting ahead of any issues which may be raised and creating hype. You've set up a contest which will make people promote the game for you and all it costs is the price of a stamp. After E3 and now 5 days of hype at Gamescom you're setting a precedent that Shenmue news is big news. News sites such as IGN and Gamespot will write first about the original teaser and then the second one, this keeps people coming back to their sites for Shenmue news and the more clicks they see for the series the more they will talk about it any chance they can which creates more hype for Shenmue. There is no talk about the faces as you've nipped it in the bud before it's become an issue and all talk focuses on how excited people are and how Deep Silver is making the game better.

If YsNet want to talk to me about the next push I'm willing to talk.

Riku Rose has received 3 thanks from: punkmanced, Rhysan, Shenmue_Trilogy
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Tosh » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:44 am

Shenmue 3 will never get on such a hype level as ... i don't know ... the new Battlefield,
or the next Kojima game or Uncharted, Last Of Us, whatever.

The newer generations who were born at the year 2000+ have probably no idea what Shenmue is.
I don't think that you can hype these people with footage of some random japanese guy who is in some asian region.
And it doesn't help that they will find things like "carrying crates" or "driving the forklift" on Youtube
if they look up Shenmue.

Shenmues subjects and themes are not something that you can sell so easily.
I'm pretty sure that the view number on the first teaser would be pretty much the same
if they had better/finished facial expressions in the video.
There would be less dislikes, yes, but thats not enough to push the views magically into the sky.
It would still be the japanese guy who walks around.

If Shenmue 3 turns out great, then it will get its own hype from the people after the release.
If there is a great story, gameplay and so on, it will reach a hype level on its own because of the quality.

But you can't promote Shenmue 3 like some triple A Call of Duty or GTA.
Shenmue is probably on the same level as the Yakuza games or Persona,
those games are for a specific group of gamers.
I don't see how you could push the hype for these kind of games with better trailers or reports
because the setting and themes are just too peculiar / particular. (is this correct english, i don't know)

Shenmue is a admired franchise for a specific group of gamers,
but Shenmue is very very small if you compare it with current hype games.

A better looking Ryo or Shenhua is not enough to hype more people.

Tosh has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:40 pm

Guys, guys...You know what I think would be the best promotion for Shenmue 3?

Shenmue 1 & 2 HD.

Henry Spencer has received 5 thanks from: celsowm, Kiske, MiTT3NZ, punkmanced, south carmain
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Sappharad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Guys, guys...You know what I think would be the best promotion for Shenmue 3?
Shenmue 1 & 2 HD.

A lot of people won't like this, but I recently came to the conclusion that I don't really think Shenmue 3 will be hurt if Sega doesn't re-release the first two before 3 comes out.

To that point, I started playing the Yakuza series at Yakuza 4 having never played any of the previous titles. The positive reaction to the series and the announcement that 5 was coming to the US after over 3 years of fans asking was what finally got me to buy 4 and try it. I've bought each game in the series since then, but never went back to the ones I missed. (Well, I bought the remake of the first one, and I'm just going to wait for the remake of 2 to play that) The series recap movies in 4 were all I had to go on, and those were kind of confusing and I didn't follow them fully, but the 4th game was good enough that none of that really mattered. I think a lot of people are in the same situation I was in. Sales of the series likely increased with each subsequent title, and now it's finally doing well in the west.

If they re-release Shenmue 1 and 2 as-is without fixing some of the things that people complain about nowadays, it might do more harm than good and people might not be willing to pick up 3 even if it will better accommodate more modern gamers simply because they didn't like the originals.

I personally would like re-releases of 1 & 2 so I can play everything on the same system, but I don't think anymore that it's really essential for the success of the franchise. As long as people can get into it starting with 3, it still has a chance to do better than the first two games did.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:38 am

Sappharad wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: Guys, guys...You know what I think would be the best promotion for Shenmue 3?
Shenmue 1 & 2 HD.

A lot of people won't like this, but I recently came to the conclusion that I don't really think Shenmue 3 will be hurt if Sega doesn't re-release the first two before 3 comes out.

To that point, I started playing the Yakuza series at Yakuza 4 having never played any of the previous titles. The positive reaction to the series and the announcement that 5 was coming to the US after over 3 years of fans asking was what finally got me to buy 4 and try it. I've bought each game in the series since then, but never went back to the ones I missed. (Well, I bought the remake of the first one, and I'm just going to wait for the remake of 2 to play that) The series recap movies in 4 were all I had to go on, and those were kind of confusing and I didn't follow them fully, but the 4th game was good enough that none of that really mattered. I think a lot of people are in the same situation I was in. Sales of the series likely increased with each subsequent title, and now it's finally doing well in the west.

If they re-release Shenmue 1 and 2 as-is without fixing some of the things that people complain about nowadays, it might do more harm than good and people might not be willing to pick up 3 even if it will better accommodate more modern gamers simply because they didn't like the originals.

I personally would like re-releases of 1 & 2 so I can play everything on the same system, but I don't think anymore that it's really essential for the success of the franchise. As long as people can get into it starting with 3, it still has a chance to do better than the first two games did.

This is my number one worry, Shenmue 1 was a very slow paced game that not everybody liked when the game was released. Today I think this would be even worse because people are got used to new game mechanics and more action games.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby punkmanced » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:59 am

^ Well, that's the Shenmue series in a nutshell: "not for everybody".
It either clicks (and sticks) with you, or it doesn't. Worrying about who may or may not like the first two games isn't going to change Shenmue 3's fate, as that game is a direct sequel in the exact same vein as its predecessors.

Since the original games haven't been available in almost 15 years, at this point, Sega/ YsNet has nothing to lose by making them available again in some form, IMO.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:47 pm

Sappharad wrote:
Shenmue 1 & 2 HD.

Yakuza is an action game. The point of Shenmue is that you live the story, to a much further extent than Yakuza, despite the many similarities. And it's the reason why many people never understood Shenmue. The phrase "Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment" that Yu Suzuki originally used to describe Shenmue's genre would seem to refer to the level of immersion created by the level of detail in the game's environments. But it also refers to the fact that the game is structured around a pace of daily life, which has a real effect on the game's storytelling. Characters exist outside of just the game's plot.

I think Shenmue III will still be successful, though not on the level of a mainstream title. It's a high budget indie title. And the indie games market, heck even the very concept of an indie game that doesn't follow mass market industry conventions, is something that exists for Shenmue now, that didn't exist when Shenmue was expected to be a game that sold consoles like Halo.

To be honest, I'm all the happier if people who are still excited by games like Halo, Titanfall and Call of Duty don't play Shenmue.

If games that have even less action than Shenmue are able to find their audience, Shenmue definitely will. Worst case scenario is that IV has a small budget. Which wouldn't matter if development resources carry over from Shenmue III to IV, the way they did with I to II.

But regardless of the game's success, I think the experience would suffer from not having lived the story up to that point. It's supposed to be pretty shocking when a sword starts flying in a game that has immersed you in gritty, lifelike environments. You're supposed to feel the weight of going from living your daily life in your hometown, to traveling in a big foreign city, to venturing into a dangerous lawless ghetto, and then exploring the wilderness and meeting villagers that have never seen the modern world and experiencing magic.

All that weight is pretty important to Shenmue, I think. In a way where it's unimportant for a story like Metal Gear. But you know what? I'd much rather see a remake of I and II than a re-release of the first 2 games. I know it's more unlikely than a remaster, but in any case, I think Shenmue III's biggest new fanbase will be people that play it on Steam, and/or people that could emulate the first 2.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III