New Screens + Note From Yu via Playstation Blog

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Screens + Note From Yu via Playstation Blog

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:18 am

http://www.4gamer.net/games/305/G030593/20170824023/

Another interview on Switch's translation pile. He's on it, though!

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Kiske
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:52 am

I'm fumbling my way through the above interview with google translate... some interesting details in there about how the scope of III is going to increase with extra time and funding; if the automated translation is accurate anyway.

Also some talk about realism, and how while that was a pursuit for the first two games; it's now kind of switched into an exaggerated naturalism for III.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 am

Kiske wrote:The left side of the screen has others characters too apparently. Is the second one Chai???

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Spoilers below - some more characters.

Super interesting. Zoomed in a lot on this picture. The power point presentation itself is named New Characters 22-08-17. By looking at the page scroll on the left hand side, and by counting the amount of slider also, it looks like they have around 14-15 characters already model in this presentation!

If you look at the characters from the 4th and 5th slides, It looks like they match the concept art of those found on the boards in one of the screen shots? That could confirm that YSnet are using the boards as placeholders to show where those characters should go. (I can't find the image where someone zoomed in on the boards though :sad: ?).

This interview from 4gamers.net is going to be super interesting, we are so luck to have Switch in this community! Our hero! haha!

SheepheadCG has received 3 thanks from: Kiske, Switch, Your Boy Leroy
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:07 am

SheepheadCG wrote:
Kiske wrote:The left side of the screen has others characters too apparently. Is the second one Chai???

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Spoilers below - some more characters.

Super interesting. Zoomed in a lot on this picture. The power point presentation itself is named New Characters 22-08-17. By looking at the page scroll on the left hand side, and by counting the amount of slider also, it looks like they have around 14-15 characters already model in this presentation!

If you look at the characters from the 4th and 5th slides, It looks like they match the concept art of those found on the boards in one of the screen shots? That could confirm that YSnet are using the boards as placeholders to show where those characters should go. (I can't find the image where someone zoomed in on the boards though :sad: ?).

This interview from 4gamers.net is going to be super interesting, we are so luck to have Switch in this community! Our hero! haha!

Peter took a picture of those boards during Gamescom:

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, SledgeNE
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:12 am

Kiske wrote:Peter took a picture of those boards during Gamescom:

That's the one! Nice one, was searching for it everywhere. Hmm, maybe it's not the same as the 4-5th but does look very similar.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:18 am

Does anyone who was in the press presentation recorded all of these material? Smartphones were allowed?
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:19 am

Does go to show the lengths of continuing modelling work goes beyond just revising existing ones, but finishing other works in progress, and maybe outright creating and implementing new characters too.

Again, without a proper translation we can't really say if it's meant literally or even semi-literally, but in the 4Gamer interview Yu used increasing the NPCs in Choubu from 50-60 to possibly 200 as an example of the newly expanded scope of the game to be more "open world".

Still, with the development team growing like Yu says it has, there's probably a handful of extra artists too; so hopefully the current bunch aren't overstretched.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:26 am

Despite their infamous relative lack of passion for Shenmue, an army of Japanese media keeps tracking Yu across the globe. That's impressive.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:44 am

Come to think of it. This image (of the Power Point Character Presentation) lines up with the Game*Spark interview. He was most likely pointing to the presentation when he said these:

YS: We still have a lot of work to do on Shenhua. [While pointing at characters] Take this one, it's a character that's close to completion. This one's provisional. This is also provisional. This one too is provisional.

YS: [Continuing to point at characters] This one's also provisional. Oh, so is this one. We do have characters that have been completed to a pretty high quality level.

:D

SheepheadCG has received 2 thanks from: RootyKazooty, SledgeNE
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby staplepuffs27 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:57 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Also some talk about realism, and how while that was a pursuit for the first two games; it's now kind of switched into an exaggerated naturalism for III.
Curious what this means exactly. I mean, it sounds like the realism is still there to an extent. You can get a job and stuff after all.
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Kiske wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: Image

Where did you find this WIP "hair curler" lady Spags?

Just incase you weren't aware yet, she is a hotel owner ("so you'll be seeing her quite a lot"), as confirmed by Yu himself in an interview at Gamescom :)
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Centrale » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:07 pm

staplepuffs27 wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Curious what this means exactly. I mean, it sounds like the realism is still there to an extent. You can get a job and stuff after all.

I think it's referring to the art direction. The characters are supposed to be somewhat exaggerated/stylized in appearance rather than photorealistic.

Centrale has received 3 thanks from: Spaghetti, staplepuffs27, VukBZ2005
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
Kiske wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: Image

Where did you find this WIP "hair curler" lady Spags?

Just incase you weren't aware yet, she is a hotel owner ("so you'll be seeing her quite a lot"), as confirmed by Yu himself in an interview at Gamescom :)

Can't wait!
I'm sure she's a lovely human being :lol:

Kiske has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Chaikilla wrote: Image

Does anyone know the name of the setting in this picture? I've heard people say Chobu (sp) and I've went along with that but I'm not entirely sure. I know Chai appears under the moon in this area so I'm particularly interested, since it's where he'll likely be introduced.

I need to brace myself for him so I don't get a heart attack when he first leaps out on Ryo.

It's Chobu.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to Shenmue III