Mixed reaction from general audience

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Mixed reaction from general audience

Postby darksniper » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:56 pm

The trailer reminds me of how much polish was done between Project Berkley and Shenmue I. I look at this new "Shenmue III" trailer as a game in Project Berkley mode. We still got about another 12+ months of development time so there's time to fix it. It's unfortunate that the trailer gave the press the ammunition they need to shit on the game. Something they've been wanting to do for a long time.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby staplepuffs27 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:14 pm

The response on Reddit has been quite good. I'm seeing a lot of positve comments on r/games and r/ps4
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:16 pm

12 months is not much in current game development time. The jump between early 3D (PSX/Saturn) to full 3D (DC/PS2) will most likely never be matched ever.

Some corners will be cut in terms of presentation but the full "picture" will hopefully be pretty if they retain the original designs. The best example would probably be Sonic 4 vs Sonic Mania.

I'm not saying to do everything in DC graphics but if there are usable DC facial textures and animations... use it.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:25 pm

I think what was apparent was the absence of proper facial animations/movements. The environment looked amazing. I think they were probably wanting to show something because people were asking for it.
Bluu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:49 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: At the end of the day, the majority of people are saying the game in its current state looks poor, rough or underwhelming. I don't think they're coming from a place of envy or spite; they're being honest. Some people, yes, want the game to fail for some reason, but I really don't think that's true for most people. If it looked great, I'd expect people to say it looks great.

I'm less concerned with the look of the game than most people because I've dreamt of this game since I finished Shenmue II way back in 2002 or 2003 (whatever year it was). I'll live with an "underwhelming'" game so long as I can continue the story. I've got to be honest, though, this game does have a very long way to go if Yu Suzuki wants to make a Shenmue IV. Laughable voice acting, character designs and graphics won't make it very easy for Ys Net to raise money for another sequel. This is their last shot, and I do understand why many people are concerned this trailer could cause a lot of damage.

They've still shown little to no gameplay, so I can only assume what they've shown is still very, very early

The majority of people? How do you know that? There's really no way of knowing. The haters are more vocal than the fans so while they probably seem like the majority, in reality they could turn out to be the opposite! Either way, you can never really tell.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:55 pm

The original Shenmues were the collective effort of countless human beings behind-the-scenes and the original works, character art, logo, and experience were a culmination of that. We should respectively carry on this legacy in order for Shenmue III to be the best it can be, which is why Yu-san encourages our honest feedback.

To be sincere, to many of us, the new models do look like impostors and the new logo does look quite jarring in comparison to the original, as well. Again, we must respect the creative process like those behind-the-scenes artists before us and offer Yu-san and company our sincerest guidance. Many of us are also speaking from the heart and only want the best for this magnum opus--a masterpiece which stands the test of time and inspires lives well beyond our own.

The creative story goes on...
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:00 pm

I think Sega will ultimately be kicking themselves for either 1 giving them permission (if it turns out bad) or 2 not having a hand in on the development (if it turns out good). Maybe they will come up with a new deal for Shenmue 4.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: At the end of the day, the majority of people are saying the game in its current state looks poor, rough or underwhelming. I don't think they're coming from a place of envy or spite; they're being honest. Some people, yes, want the game to fail for some reason, but I really don't think that's true for most people. If it looked great, I'd expect people to say it looks great.

I'm less concerned with the look of the game than most people because I've dreamt of this game since I finished Shenmue II way back in 2002 or 2003 (whatever year it was). I'll live with an "underwhelming'" game so long as I can continue the story. I've got to be honest, though, this game does have a very long way to go if Yu Suzuki wants to make a Shenmue IV. Laughable voice acting, character designs and graphics won't make it very easy for Ys Net to raise money for another sequel. This is their last shot, and I do understand why many people are concerned this trailer could cause a lot of damage.

They've still shown little to no gameplay, so I can only assume what they've shown is still very, very early

The majority of people? How do you know that? There's really no way of knowing. The haters are more vocal than the fans so while they probably seem like the majority, in reality they could turn out to be the opposite! Either way, you can never really tell.
I don't know what "the majority" thinks, but I know what the majority of internet commentators and forum posters think, and they think the game looks pretty bad. I don't think they've all decided to unite against the evil Yu Suzuki and Shenmue franchise. I think many genuinely think the game looks pretty bad. Compared to other games, it really kind of does--aesthetically and graphically. Now, yes, that is a subjective opinion, but I think there are many valid criticisms of the game out there, and it serves no one to ignore them.

On the other hand, the game is still probably very early in development and will look a bit different when it finally comes out. We still haven't seen any gameplay, so that's one sign to me there's a long way to go. There are also way more likes than dislikes on the YouTube trailer, so that's another good sign the game still has a good level of support.

Anyway, I'd rather not spend time being negative about this game, so that's it for me.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Enigma » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:31 am

Decided to convey my emotions on this issue through the art of film.

phpBB [video]

Enigma has received a thanks from: Demonoroth
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby Demonoroth » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Hahahahahahahaha

Ooh man that's the best thing I've seen in a long time.
Thx for the laugh buddy.

Demonoroth has received a thanks from: Enigma
Demonoroth
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Demonoroth
Steam: Demonoroth
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby jasonorme666 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:54 am

I think the Call of Duty generation will never be happy with Shenmue, it's never going to be for them and they will drag it into the dirt.
But if the fans can't get along and enjoy it for what it is and appreciate that this is even happening at all.. then I don't think there will be much hope for a Shenmue 4.
I slapped £80 on Shenmue 3 (I know many put down far far more), but I see it like this..
If my cat needed an expensive operation, with a 50/50 chance of survival, and I paid for said operation but the cat died.. At least I tried, the money is irrelevant.
Shenmue 3 will either be a breath of new life.. or the death.
jasonorme666
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Previous

Return to Shenmue III