Mixed reaction from general audience

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Mixed reaction from general audience

Postby shenhaZ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:17 am

I think Yu Suzuki showed too much work in progress material in the latest teaser.

The teaser was ok for the fans, but if YS Net want to sell the game to the new audience then they need to work hard on the new trailer started from NOW.

Explain why this sequel is important, what makes this series so special, show good facial expressions, amazing kung-fu moves, tell a good story.

Tell the audience that this is an indie game. Shoot the video about the dev team. Right now people are comparing this game with Uncharted 4, because it's exclusive to PS4 and was showed on their conference.

The majority of people on this forum is already bought the game and if we want to see Shenmue 4, which I believe visually will be a lot better than 3, than we need to deliver Yu Suzuki this message.

If we want this game to sell more than 100k copies, then start to generate ideas, what to show in the next trailer to interest a new audience. I believe that somebody from the YS Net are reading this forum now.
shenhaZ
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Lucky Hit

Re: Mixed reaction from general audience

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:22 am

People from YSnet would probably run a mile if they read this place sometimes.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: Senpai Gamer, VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 am

YSnet clearly played with fire on this one. Don't know if that's guts or lose of mind but they have no intention to promote the game seriously until the gold version.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 am

It did take a tremendous pair of testicles to actually flaunt parts of the game that were unfinished to the point of probably not being presentable. YSnet might be walking out of Gamescom with a limp, but I appreciate the honesty.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Enigma, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 am

I'm going to stop reading comments of people on websites because I'm getting mad. People are simply retard, they are complaining about a unfinalished game, making memes, saying they only showed three characters and few places because they haven't done anything more...ufffff!!

Lot of troll kids or people who just don't know how software development works, I can't see any other way.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Enigma » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 am

Hazuki00 wrote:I'm going to stop reading comments of people on websites because I'm getting mad. People are simply retard, they are complaining about a unfinalished game, making memes, saying they only showed three characters and few places because they haven't done anything more...ufffff!!

Lot of troll kids or people who just don't know how software development works, I can't see any other way.

Ugh, those comments. I know what you mean man.

I would rather huff French horn farts from the YS Net staff collective than subject myself to read any more of the Internet's shrieking. At least I would be savouring something far better for my health and I might even find whiffs here and there of Suzuki's imaginative genius buried in the fart cloud, so I would come away feeling richer from the experience.
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby John Doom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:00 am

I'm going to quote my thoughts on this here, since they're more fitting for this thread (I hope I'm not breaking any rules :D ).
John Doom wrote:[...] :sad: Now, I really don't want to be called a s**tposter or a troll... I love Shenmue and I love what Suzuki is doing, he's like a mentor to me, but...
...I'm afraid that this video could tarnish SIII's image :sad:
Besides a few facial captures that look missing, characters' skins don't match the photorealistic esthetic of everything else in the game yet. I agree that it's probably still WIP because, if you look at Suzuki's video games, each one of them looks esthetically consistent, being it 2d or 3d, while SIII doesn't in this trailer: the only explanation is that Suzuki was forced to show it too early.
This makes me worry: we fans know this and don't mind it but, realistically, what are the other people going to say about SIII now that it has been officially shown in this state? :sad:
Please understand that I have great respect for Suzuki and I can't wait to play SIII, but I'm just worried that this sudden move may tarnish both their images now :sad:

John Doom wrote: Nevermind trolls and haters, I don't think we should blame regular gamers and journalists for looking at the trailer and saying that it's not good enough: unlike us, they may not know that it's WIP, but let's be objective: have you ever seen a trailer showing footage in such a state? Trailers are supposed to show off what the game will look like when released. Be honest: it this was the trailer for another game, wouldn't you have been at least concerned?
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:08 am

Spaghetti wrote: People from YSnet would probably run a mile if they read this place sometimes.

It's mostly very positive here, out there is a jungle
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby iyapol » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:12 am

It's obvious to us at the Dojo that the PS4 teaser trailer is WIP. In hindsight, they could have put a WIP disclaimer at the start of the trailer to avoid some of the reactions we are seeing from your average gamer or those unfamiliar with the series or the project.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:14 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:It's mostly very positive here, out there is a jungle

I mean in some previous months.

But yes, it's been fairly uniting here for the most part.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:31 pm

THB I think it'll sell 500k only by being "ps exclusive", but yeah, the trailer was green in a lot of places that most developers polish before showing to the public.

I don't think it'll make any difference in the long run (if they fix everything that didn't mesh right).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby code l name » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:34 pm

I think it speaks to how poorly thought out and executed the game's marketing material has been to date. I don't know exactly where the blame lies but it was pretty obvious that there were many elements with regards to the games character models, lack of animation, very bizarre key lighting, abrupt cuts in the trailer that shouldn't have been made for the public consumption.

With that said I think the latest screenshots give me a lot of heart and I am quietly optimistic.

code l name has received 2 thanks from: Amir, RiGoRmOrTiS
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 pm

We all knew that there would be lots of haters. Nothing has changed in that regard. The game still needs work but they've given themselves the time they need to be successful.

For those saying that limiting themselves to only PS4 will hurt sales of the game, then you must be forgetting the game is also coming to PC. I don't even know why people buy Xbox as it no longer has any system exclusives. That said, future ports are still possible. For the launch it's PS4/PC only.

Telekill has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Can we just discuss instead of calling user "haters" or "fanboys" I am so sick of this name calling and childish behavour. As long the user brings his opinion with arguments to the table which the first post does try at least to response in a respectful, factual way and start a discussion. At the end its one opinion of many...so you can agree or disagree..
Last edited by Shenmue_Trilogy on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shenmue_Trilogy has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:54 pm

At the end of the day, the majority of people are saying the game in its current state looks poor, rough or underwhelming. I don't think they're coming from a place of envy or spite; they're being honest. Some people, yes, want the game to fail for some reason, but I really don't think that's true for most people. If it looked great, I'd expect people to say it looks great.

I'm less concerned with the look of the game than most people because I've dreamt of this game since I finished Shenmue II way back in 2002 or 2003 (whatever year it was). I'll live with an "underwhelming'" game so long as I can continue the story. I've got to be honest, though, this game does have a very long way to go if Yu Suzuki wants to make a Shenmue IV. Laughable voice acting, character designs and graphics won't make it very easy for Ys Net to raise money for another sequel. This is their last shot, and I do understand why many people are concerned this trailer could cause a lot of damage.

They've still shown little to no gameplay, so I can only assume what they've shown is still very, very early.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Next

Return to Shenmue III