Kotaku: Revelations or PR stunt?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Kotaku: Revelations or PR stunt?

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 pm

http://trib.al/OYxSyGO

Now it's an about-face. What happened here?
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Kotaku: Revelations or PR stunt?

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:46 pm

A more sensible writer with a more considered opinion decided to write about the game.

Kotaku isn't a monolith, because no publication is, but this is more the reaction I expect from people who call themselves game journalists. It has more effort in analysing what was shown in context with the circumstances of the game, remaining development time, etc.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Both.

Games journalism sucks.

Games still have some consumerism neutrality that can say "yeah, no", but it's mostly the way the world is going.

The same happens with youtubers, I guess that people just want to hear the opinion they want to hear, and they calculate about that. Nothing really creative/groundbreaking after the marketshare is waiting for content.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:55 pm

Different writers have different opinions. Both writers write for Kotaku. There is no official Kotaku stance, and thereforce there's no revelation or PR stunt. It's just two different opinion pieces that happen to cover the same game. Both view points are valid.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ConanTheKing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:01 am

ShenmueTree wrote: Different writers have different opinions. Both writers write for Kotaku. There is no official Kotaku stance, and thereforce there's no revelation or PR stunt. It's just two different opinion pieces that happen to cover the same game. Both view points are valid.

I don't know why some people become so defensive over a negative opinion. It's like they get offended on behalf of the game while the creator probably doesn't even care.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby shredingskin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 am

ConanTheKing wrote:I don't know why some people become so defensive over a negative opinion. It's like they get offended on behalf of the game while the creator probably doesn't even care.

Nah, it;s about quoting opinion as fact, in a medium you know it's not just rambling around.
You should have some fucking ethics, and not write the first thing it pops on your head thinking it will make some clicks.

Really, this industry is generating more money than movies, but the "WELL KNOWN" writers are just as amateur as they come.

Let's be real, if we want to get analythical, in linguistics they're studying the fuck outta vifeogames, in cinema they think we're stealing from them some stuff, but in actual videogame journalism we just get fluff.

And again, I think it's a matter of how involved we are, and that clickbait is clickbait.

And a lot of gamers just want to know if a game is worth the money, there is mostly that.

Also, I want to add, that the "elite" getting "actual" content, beside today, is quite a gasp, that some criticism never understood.

Literally a medium that trampled on their critics.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:05 am

Kotaku is objectively a tabloid trash publication but in this case I'm happy that they presented the two sides of the argument.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:26 am

Valascaziel wrote: http://trib.al/OYxSyGO

Now it's an about-face. What happened here?

Kotaku has been awful for years. Perhaps someone should make a site rating the trashy click-bait amongst the good sites. Kotaku would fall towards the trashy. I never go there anymore and if you don't like their articles I suggest you do the same. No need to feed the troll "press" with clicks and thus money.

There may be a good reason Shenmue 3 has been delayed by almost a year: The game's first proper trailer, released today, looks like arse.
Plunket - no surprise it rhymes with flunket since his single one line constitutes no critical expertise but poor attempt to troll baiting Shenmue fans to visit his page and feed the clicks.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:39 am

There's an odd complex to some writers/personalities in the gaming community to intentionally bait certain fanbases for the purposes of getting attention, or to have a bit of a snide laugh about them on Twitter with media bubble friends.

It's just another weird caveat to the low standards of games media. Same with inaccurate reporting, positioning conjecture as fact, etc.

It's so odd. I was literally a clickbait author when I did freelancing copywriting gigs, but even then standards on factual basis and not working with a vitriolic tone were enforced.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:49 am

fittersau wrote: Plunket - no surprise it rhymes with flunket since his single one line constitutes no critical expertise but poor attempt to troll baiting Shenmue fans to visit his page and feed the clicks.

But after posting that piece of crap, he also tweeted:

"Shenmue fans are people who haven't played Yakuza yet".

If that isn't trolling the Shenmue community, then I don't know what is.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby fittersau » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:32 am

Sonoshee wrote:
fittersau wrote: Plunket - no surprise it rhymes with flunket since his single one line constitutes no critical expertise but poor attempt to troll baiting Shenmue fans to visit his page and feed the clicks.

But after posting that piece of crap, he also tweeted:

"Shenmue fans are people who haven't played Yakuza yet".

If that isn't trolling the Shenmue community, then I don't know what is.

He's an idiot.

He thinks he's LittleFinger from Game of Thrones where the motto is "Chaos is a ladder", trying to drive a wedge between Yakuza and Shenmue fans as if they are mutually exclusive things. Really child like behaviour, "I like blue better than green. Green sucks". :rotflmao:
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:11 am

Gaming """Journalism""" it's the absolute worst, almost every site is tabloid-level and relies on clickbait and controversies.
Also, writers have no professional standards or formation, and almost none of them has more insight, historic knowledge or gaming skills than your average forum user, in fact in most cases they're far worse.
I say don't even bother with that garbage.
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Return to Shenmue III