Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

Postby Switch » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:57 am

The full translation of the 4Gamer interview is now also up on the Phantom River Stone blog (together with his interview with Dengeki Online).

Interview link:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... uzuki.html

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:42 am

Q: What's the reason for your focus on humidity?

YS: I'd have to say creating a reality. Just being realistic isn't interesting, so my approach is to embellish it a touch further.

Around the time of the first and second Shenmue games, everyone wanted graphics that were as realistic as possible. However now, we're in an era where achieving that is taken for granted.

His mind is so brilliant that I may cry. :cry:

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: KidMarine, Switch
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby adom11800 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:46 am

Loving that Japanese Shenmue III logo.

adom11800 has received a thanks from: Switch
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Technophilz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Back in June 08, 2017 I wrote:
Technophilz wrote:The only thing I can think of to bring some light to the end of Shenmue 3's dark tunnel is some big company to step in and properly fund/manage the project, which hasn't happened in 14 years and looks highly unlikely to happen now.

And now I'm glad that it has happened and announced in August 2017 ...

4Gamer Interview with Yu Suzuki @Gamescom wrote:Q: Oh, that's how it was.

Now, could you tell us afresh the reason for choosing Deep Silver as publisher?

YS: After announcing Shenmue III, we immediately launched a Kickstarter campaign, and that turned out a success.

However, as far as creating an open-world game, even with that the budget wasn't sufficient. So I continued to look for a company we could partner with, and among the several names on my list was Deep Silver.

Back then almost everyone hated my words, but apparently I was right, at least Yu Suzuki seems to have agreed with me on that very point.

Now I can say with some confidence that (if things go right) there might be light at the end of Shenmue 3's tunnel.
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby shredingskin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Well, that gave a reason for the change to cartoony characters (that some people thought it wasn't a design choice).

I hope they can nail the animations, the great thing about cartoons is that they can have a very wide range of emotions and still be emphatic, but they'll have to nail it.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:37 pm

shredingskin wrote: Well, that gave a reason for the change to cartoony characters (that some people thought it wasn't a design choice).

I hope they can nail the animations, the great thing about cartoons is that they can have a very wide range of emotions and still be emphatic, but they'll have to nail it.

I still think that budget had some influence on his decision. His point about manga expressiveness is truly brilliant as well but if you look closely, most of Japanese games (Virtua Fighter 5, Dead Or Alive 5, Project Zero 5) don't use a 100% realistic charadesign either. So tighten the current charadesign until something a bit more realistic would have been appreciated. Maybe this is actually going to be the case but regarding the model sheets we know, it's very unlikely.

At least, we know which part Suzuki decided to sacrifice in order to make this happen as I always wondered how making a Shenmue with around 10 million dollars was ever possible.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby mue 26 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:39 pm

I really liked this interview.

When Yu Suzuki is talking about trying to capture 'reality' as opposed to simply aiming for 'realism', I think he's describing the same approach he's had ever since the original games, and not really a shift in a new stylistic direction. The original Shenmue games felt very real and grounded and had an obsessively detailed and fleshed out world, but they weren't at all games interested in the constrains of realism. The original games are chock full of silly and strange grotesque characterisation, exaggerated and distorted depictions of humanity. Just think of Chai, Tom, Goro, Don Niu, Yuan, Cool Z, Ren and most of the games' characters really. They aren't 'realistic' at all. They are barmy, larger than life, often comical, but are still great and human characters that feel realer than most characters in games concerned with realism do. Exaggerated characterisation often does capture the strange truth of reality much better than more realistic depictions. I think this is what Yu Suzuki understands.

So I was pleased by the muscle man in the trailer, he seems very much in the vein of the original games :)

And that's not even to mention that the series is of course preoccupied with the unfathomable, the metaphysical, even though it never forgets to ground it in the quotidian. That's the genius of Shenmue, and that's why it feels so real, realer than most realism. The real world is a bloody strange and unknowable place.

Yeah of course sacrifices will have to be made and whatnot, we all know this isn't a massive AAA budget game or whatever, but I don't think that's particularly relevant to what he's saying in this interview. And I don't think he's lost his sharp eye for detail, we can already see that from the trailer let alone in saying things like he wants visuals you can "smell". This is the same ol Yu Szuki we know and love, who made Shenmue 1 and 2 and is now making Shenmue 3, a proper, true to form continuation.

mue 26 has received 2 thanks from: Switch, VukBZ2005
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:59 pm

Switch wrote: The full translation of the 4Gamer interview is now also up on the Phantom River Stone blog (together with his interview with Dengeki Online).

Interview link:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... uzuki.html

I may have missed it, but has anyone brought up the timing mentioned in the article?

Suzuki-san says that the game starts the day after Shenmue 2 ended, or roughly 6 hours. But Shenhua is taking her father lunch at the end of Shenmue 2, not dinner, and they arrive at the cave in the morning. I certainly don't think the game implies that they spent 6 to 8 hours in that cave? Shouldn't they be home in time for dinner?

I'm wondering if anyone has an explanation for that.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby VukBZ2005 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Sappharad wrote:Suzuki-san says that the game starts the day after Shenmue 2 ended, or roughly 6 hours. But Shenhua is taking her father lunch at the end of Shenmue 2, not dinner, and they arrive at the cave in the morning. I certainly don't think the game implies that they spent 6 to 8 hours in that cave? Shouldn't they be home in time for dinner?

IIRC, the very end of Shenmue II was when the magical element really started kicking in. It may sound kinda "corny," but you can explain the dramatic time change using magic.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Previous

Return to Shenmue III