Pick where Deep Silver sends Yu Suzuki & Shenmue 3 in 2018

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Pick where Deep Silver sends Yu Suzuki & Shenmue 3 in 20

Postby Peter » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:13 am

If it's for 2018 then why is PGW in there? Isn't the game supposed to be out by then?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:20 am

Peter wrote: If it's for 2018 then why is PGW in there? Isn't the game supposed to be out by then?

If the PGW 2018 takes place in November 2018 and Shenmue 3 comes out, let say... on December 29 2018, it's feasible. :D

Anyway, the poll question wasn't very clear to begin with.
I genuinely thought that Olivier Comte was talking about 2017 at first.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:57 am

Yeah, "second half of 2018" could mean basically the end of next year.

Plus, Deep Silver could be willing to bankroll another delay into 2019.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:12 am

Well the original date was December 2017 so December 2018 isn't crazy.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:03 pm

Suppose. I am still gonna go with December 2019, in line with the 20th anniversary.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:09 pm

A 2 year delay, Peter? Thats a huge delay, but if Deep Silver has the pockets to back Suzuki's claim of a fully realized vision now, I'm okay with it.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:01 pm

This guy is the head of Deep Silver France, not of the entire company. Koch Media Group (Deep Silver's mother company) CEO is Klemens Kundratitz, whom we know from the press release announcing the S3 publishing deal.

https://www.kochmedia.com/en/company/management/

Might be that decisions concerning which fairs to visit are to be made by Olivier Comte, but the press release indicates that ultimately Klemens Kundratitz is the one calling the shots on S3.

On a side note: The Managing Director France does a "poll" on Twitter in French only, not in English, let alone in Japanese and lets people decide between Paris Games Week and Tokyo Game Show. Guess which one's gonna win? :)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: On a side note: The Managing Director France does a "poll" on Twitter in French only, not in English, let alone in Japanese and lets people decide between Paris Games Week and Tokyo Game Show. Guess which one's gonna win? :)

The second named option is Japan Expo, which is also in Paris.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:56 pm

A delay late into 2019...

Might be a tough pill to swallow initially, but considering the scope of the game is expanding with Deep Silver's investment it could be a worthwhile decision.

Still, same with 2017 before the delay was announced, I'll give YSnet the benefit of the doubt to get the job done in the time they've said they will.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:11 pm

A 2019 release date sounds very far away, but then again, is it me or are the years flying by these days? I must be getting old lol.

Suzuki can take as long as he needs, especially now that he has extra funding to make the game bigger and better. There's so many other great games to get through in the mean time. We've waited 15 years, im sure we'll be able to wait an additional year if it does get pushed back.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:46 pm

I don't know who I will be in December 2019... That seems so far from now, I'm shocked.

But the longer the better. While my first wish was that Yu is making the game he wants, my second one would be that Yu is taking all the time he needs. I think that's what I'm going to tell to Joel.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:45 pm

Talk around here of 2019 makes me glad that most backers will have been fully grown adults. Imagine paying for a cool-sounding video game when you were 16 and not being able to play it till you were 20-21. :lol:

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Re: Pick where Deep Silver sends Yu Suzuki & Shenmue 3

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:34 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: China

Agreed.

The ban on video games is now lifted there.

Shenmue III takes place in Guilin and would be a beautiful opportunity to promote the game to 1.4 Billion people.

Could be a historic opportunity.

Perhaps, Yu Suzuki can present Shenmue III at CHUAPPX 2018?

phpBB [video]
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kiske » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Based on what Yu Suzuki said during the Gamescom interview, my feeling is that it's going to be very hard to meet the 2018 release date. Yu San has a lot of ideas and the scope of the game looks massive. 2019 sounds plausible.

That said, we don't know exactly how far in the development they are and as Yu Suzuki said, the deal with DS should also allow to expand the development team. For now, I'm still betting on a December 2018 release with a 6 month delay joker...

About the Gamescom video and what Cédric said during TeamYu interview about a more polished teaser possibly coming in a few Months, do you think YsNet could have decided to go with the short teaser to celebrate the deal with Deep Silver with something unpolished (facial animations) knowing that they would shortly show significant progress at another event they had already planned? Like PSX to name it?

Kiske has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:39 pm

Kiske wrote:About the Gamescom video and what Cédric said during TeamYu interview about a more polished teaser possibly coming in a few Months, do you think YsNet could have decided to go with the short teaser to celebrate the deal with Deep Silver with something unpolished (facial animations) knowing that they would shortly show significant progress at another event they had already planned? Like PSX to name it?

I believe, based on comments from the executive producer, in an ideal world YSnet might have continued to keep a low profile for a bit longer.

But the situation didn't really facilitate that, because of the rising and increasingly aggressive demand to see the game, along with needing to provide reassurances that being "under new establishment" with a publisher attached would not radically change the game.*

*I saw a Twitter comment on the Deep Silver announcement from someone utterly CONVINCED Ryo was now going to use guns. YSnet may have anticipated reactions like this and wanted to put out the video as a "it's still Shenmue" message.

They also got caught in a tough place where some presentational aspects were lagging behind the rest (models) or hit a development snag (animation), but were likely locked in to showcase the game before these could be properly addressed.

There's a plan in place. It's not particularly Machiavellian and is made sometimes with reactionary decisions, but for the most part I think just plain bad luck changed the kind of impact YSnet wanted to make with Shenmue III at Gamescom, and means a bigger push towards presentational quality has to be made before the game meets the public again.

I'm not sure if I really answered your question here, Kiske. :lol: Um... a more simple answer from me would be that, although YSnet may have always intended to show the game again in an improved state later on, they may not have anticipated the amount they would have to prove.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III