Where is the Shenmue 3 team ?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Where is the Shenmue 3 team ?

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am

shredingskin wrote: WHy is outsorcing a bad thing ?

It's not, putting it simply. That's why a lot of the games industry does it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby WildManofBorneo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:53 pm

There are numerous companies in Japan who provide outsourcing services for video games, however they mainly provide CG support, motion capture, game cinematics, etc

Among the most renowned are Shirogumi (http://shirogumi.com), Digital Frontier Inc. (https://www.dfx.co.jp/en/previous_works/j-game.html), Digital Works Entertainment (http://www.dworks-ent.co.jp), Marza Animation Planet (http://www.marza.com/en/works/graphics)
Last edited by WildManofBorneo on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:53 pm

Interesting. :-s
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:39 pm

I wouldn't release the numbers if I was Yu. This game is a bit different to most Kickstarters as we already know about 3 other company's who have invested in it and I bet there are silent investors, no one can convince me Sega doesn't have a hand in the pie. If he said he had a staff of 100 you'll get people working out the average wage someone is paid and how much money in total there is on the project, then the bitching when people realise they was asked to Kickstart it when it's barely anything or the total budget.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Riku Rose wrote: If he said he had a staff of 100 you'll get people working out the average wage someone is paid and how much money in total there is on the project, then the bitching when people realise they was asked to Kickstart it when it's barely anything or the total budget.

I think you're right.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shenhaZ » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:00 pm

KidNokon is working from home?
shenhaZ
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Lucky Hit

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:06 pm

shenhaZ wrote:KidNokon is working from home?

If my memory is correct, yes. I saw him say this on a Shenmue fan page on Facebook some time ago.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 pm

I asked this a while ago in another thread and no one answered me, so I'll try again to sate my curiosity: Why do some people call him KidNocon instead of NoconKid? His name on YouTube, where we all got to know him, is the latter, and it's taken from a TV show, No Con Kid, short for No Continue Kid, where the lead character is a young arcade whizz who therefore doesn't need to use continues. Are people presumptuously applying the custom of writing what we would consider their second name first, in spite of his known preference and the fact it isn't his actual name? There must be something I'm missing.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby WildManofBorneo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Riku Rose wrote: I wouldn't release the numbers if I was Yu. This game is a bit different to most Kickstarters as we already know about 3 other company's who have invested in it and I bet there are silent investors, no one can convince me Sega doesn't have a hand in the pie. If he said he had a staff of 100 you'll get people working out the average wage someone is paid and how much money in total there is on the project, then the bitching when people realise they was asked to Kickstart it when it's barely anything or the total budget.

So far we are aware only of Shibuya Productions and Deep Silver as investors. There has been no official confirmation of Sony/Sega involvement.

However, there is a third entity which has been most certainly overlooked - the unknown Japanese publisher for the local market. Whomever has the fortune of publishing this game in Japan will most certainly be providing financial assistance towards the game's development.
WildManofBorneo

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:40 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I asked this a while ago in another thread and no one answered me, so I'll try again to sate my curiosity: Why do some people call him KidNocon instead of NoconKid? His name on YouTube, where we all got to know him, is the latter, and it's taken from a TV show, No Con Kid, short for No Continue Kid, where the lead character is a young arcade whizz who therefore doesn't need to use continues. Are people presumptuously applying the custom of writing what we would consider their second name first, in spite of his known preference and the fact it isn't his actual name? There must be something I'm missing.

Didn't even know this was a thing.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:50 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote:However, there is a third entity which has been most certainly overlooked - the unknown Japanese publisher for the local market. Whomever has the fortune of publishing this game in Japan will most certainly be providing financial assistance towards the game's development.

Deep Silver is the global publisher. Does global not include Japan?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby shredingskin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Riku Rose wrote: I wouldn't release the numbers if I was Yu. This game is a bit different to most Kickstarters as we already know about 3 other company's who have invested in it and I bet there are silent investors, no one can convince me Sega doesn't have a hand in the pie. If he said he had a staff of 100 you'll get people working out the average wage someone is paid and how much money in total there is on the project, then the bitching when people realise they was asked to Kickstart it when it's barely anything or the total budget.

Or that they have a very small team and there's not really much money for anything else. Both could work.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby WildManofBorneo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
WildManofBorneo wrote:However, there is a third entity which has been most certainly overlooked - the unknown Japanese publisher for the local market. Whomever has the fortune of publishing this game in Japan will most certainly be providing financial assistance towards the game's development.

Deep Silver is the global publisher. Does global not include Japan?

Deep Silver is the publisher for all territories except Japan.
WildManofBorneo

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:20 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote:

So far we are aware only of Shibuya Productions and Deep Silver as investors. There has been no official confirmation of Sony/Sega involvement.

However, there is a third entity which has been most certainly overlooked - the unknown Japanese publisher for the local market. Whomever has the fortune of publishing this game in Japan will most certainly be providing financial assistance towards the game's development.

Adam Boyes confirmed that Sony are backing the game financially back at E3 when it was announced making them the third investor. Sega are a company at the end of the day and letting an IP go with nothing to show for it would piss off higher ups. Even if they aren't backing the project financially they will get some kind of return in the form of a lump sum or percentage of profits. The idea of them being nice and letting Yu use the IP free of charge is a nice idea but not something that makes sense.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby WildManofBorneo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Riku Rose wrote:

Adam Boyes confirmed that Sony are backing the game financially back at E3 when it was announced making them the third investor. Sega are a company at the end of the day and letting an IP go with nothing to show for it would piss off higher ups. Even if they aren't backing the project financially they will get some kind of return in the form of a lump sum or percentage of profits. The idea of them being nice and letting Yu use the IP free of charge is a nice idea but not something that makes sense.

If Sony had any financial interest in this game, then they would have assumed the role of publisher. I have yet to witness a single Sony investment in the past 20+ years where they had not also acted as the publisher.

As for Sega, I assume their involvement is limited to license royalties.
WildManofBorneo

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III