Kickstarter Update #74 - Gamescom Travelogue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #74 - Gamescom Travelogue

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:50 pm

The_Fuzileiro wrote: Ryo looks astonishing for me! But... the face is gonna make me cry when I see is Lan Di.
If you guys love the new Jacket Ryo uses... imagine the look of Lan Di's new outfit. I think neither the phoenix mirror nor Ryo's Jacket is going to impact as much as Lan Di's high definition clothes.

*edit... just replace my avatar with this image. :heart: :lol:

Detailed clothing is indeed one aspect where the new game can shine among with better world textures.

I know I'm gonna spend an entire day looking at Shenhua's house.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenSun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:18 pm

slightly off topic, but Bluemue, how do you change the lighting like that in Photoshop?

Great Signature by the way

ShenSun has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks! I didn't keep track of any specific values. Just boosted contrast and brightness and then picked the red channel and decreased the saturation, increased the lightness and shifted the hue very slightly to right. Basic stuff.

By the way, I also updated the old one. :lol:

BlueMue has received a thanks from: ShenSun
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby adom11800 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:36 pm

ShenSun wrote: Excellent update. Ryo looks spot on. Incredible work. There's still work to be done on the eyes, lighting, etc, but those are some very very VERY promising results.

The Shenmue comparison to Yakuza speaks volumes. Shenmue 3 clearly looks better than the Yakuza 0 models.

Indeed! To me Ryo looks just as good as his original model now. I guess we'll have to wait and see for the next footage to really decide though. Looking closer at the images Ziming posted, I think the facial animation looks better already. Well a bit anyway..
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShenSun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:06 pm

BlueMue wrote: Thanks! I didn't keep track of any specific values. Just boosted contrast and brightness and then picked the red channel and decreased the saturation, increased the lightness and shifted the hue very slightly to right. Basic stuff.

By the way, I also updated the old one. :lol:

Thanks. will play around with some images when i get home.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:44 pm

I am really glad that they have mad some important changes on ryo to fit his original (asian) look. Looks great! \:D/
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby Bambi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:54 pm

Saw this on Corey Marshall's Facebook.

Bambi has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, VukBZ2005
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:55 pm

With regards to the appearance of Shenmue 3, it is evident that the art direction is one aimed towards a continuance of the past games with a highly stylized aesthetic, as opposed to the more prevalent hyper-realism focus.

Hyper realism is well achievable within the budget and manpower resources of Shenmue 3, as Ninja Theory has demonstrated with their recent 'Budget AAA' game Hellblade.

Hell Blade
Team Size: 50 Members
Engine: Unreal 4
Budget: Estimated $9 Million USD

This visual style however is not the intended aim for Shenmue 3 as Yu Suzuki has stated in recent interviews.

Gamespark Interview, August 23

HM: There are also things like tuning the game engine.

YS: Right. In order to use the game engine properly, it has to be maintained. In addition, to make it feel like Shenmue, we have to write a lot of shaders and so on.

WildManofBorneo has received 2 thanks from: VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
WildManofBorneo

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: Looks fine to me.

Someone on NeoGAF posted a head-to-head of New Ryo and the guy from Yakuza and I honestly think Ryo looks better & more detailed. People are just setting their expectations WAY too high. Animations, yeah, have work to be done, but let's stop being so dramatic that we're proclaiming we won't even PLAY the game if the game looks like it does in these screenshots.

[edit]

Looks like Peter posted the comparison here.

Here's the thing people, 0 is a 2015 game, developed in 2014.

To compare the two to that title, isn't quite apt, as it was still on the Yakuza 5 engine as well (whichever engine that was).

Compare it to RGG 6, THEN we'll see what's better, as that is the most recent game in the series; Hell, Kiwami is a 2016 game, developed in 2015, so even that is closer to where we're at.

That being said, I could care less; as many others have said, I'll take a walking pile of turd as the model and still be happy :D

That first pic is indeed gorgeous, I had a huge smile on my face when I saw it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Truck_1_0_1_ has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby WildManofBorneo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:55 am

Truck_1_0_1_ wrote:

Here's the thing people, 0 is a 2015 game, developed in 2014.

To compare the two to that title, isn't quite apt, as it was still on the Yakuza 5 engine as well (whichever engine that was).

Compare it to RGG 6, THEN we'll see what's better, as that is the most recent game in the series; Hell, Kiwami is a 2016 game, developed in 2015, so even that is closer to where we're at.

That being said, I could care less; as many others have said, I'll take a walking pile of turd as the model and still be happy :D

That first pic is indeed gorgeous, I had a huge smile on my face when I saw it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I agree that if we are to draw a comparison between the Shenmue and Yakuza series, it is only fair to maintain an equal playing field by presenting the latest iterations of each game.

One point to take note of however is that comparing specific development years is somewhat erroneous because although Shenmue 3 is a newer game than Yakuza 6, the Unreal 4 engine is technically an older engine Yakuza's Dragon engine which debuted in 2015.

Shenmue 3
Unreal 4 Engine

Yakuza 6
Dragon Engine

Shenmue 3
Unreal 4 Engine

Yakuza 6
Dragon Engine

WildManofBorneo has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
WildManofBorneo

Postby Fabiusco » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:24 pm

UE4 is constantly updated by Epic, it means nothing that it has been released before Dragon Engine.
Yakuza team always had some very skilled modelers and animator. They put a lot of effort modeling believable characters, but that has little to do with the quality of the engine itself... their models were marvellous also during PS3 era.
On the other hand, I think this led to something I always hated about Yakuza series: the extreme discrepancy between main characters and generic NPCs. I missed recent releases and I don’t know if they improved this, but low poly, statics, redundant and undubbed NPCs always bothered me a lot, expecially when they stand next to the super-detailed Kazuma.
I understand it’s impossible to achieve the same main character models quality for all NPCs, but I hope for Shenmue III that Yu will take in account this aspect as he did for the previous episodes... I would prefer lesser detailed main characters and equally detailed NPCs!

Fabiusco has received 2 thanks from: Esppiral, VukBZ2005
Fabiusco
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Tsubasa » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:01 am

Yokosuka wrote:
shredingskin wrote: A thing to speculate:

Will we get a 360 camera or will be locked angles like in older shenmues ?

Locked angles please. Is that type of camera so extraordinary nowadays?

360 camera is my biggest fear for Shenmue III. Here's a quote of a post I wrote in "S3 gameplay - Movement style and controls" thread, it will help to expose my point of view on this matter.

Tsubasa wrote: Please no fucking 360 degrees camera, it would kill Shenmue experience that has been designed to be immersive. Not being able to look above limits a human neck allows is part of this immersion, just like focusing on a specififc item with trigger to discover a potential interaction. IMO, the worst would be that a 360 degrees camera will probably impulse the Assassin's Creed/GTA syndrome with player just pushing the A button when close by an interactive item without having to aim on it.

PS: please pardon my broken English

Tsubasa has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Tsubasa
Asia Travel Representative

Postby SledgeNE » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:29 am

Was this not from a Lan Di Statue that was out for Limited Edition? I think he will look better in Shenmue III.

There was a scene of the Kickstarter-Video from E3 where Lan Di walks to Shenhua and he has the Dragon Mirror behind his back. Was this from a planned Dream-Scene?

I wish i could see the extended Teaser.

@Gromber

Oh, that's very interesting. I didn't knew that before. I played this Game in 2001 so fast i saw the Good ending. It was very exciting with every progress in game.
Last edited by SledgeNE on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

SledgeNE has received a thanks from: Gromber
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Gromber » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:56 pm

That´s a bad ending from Shenmue 2, if you dont finish the game before a date.
Shenmue 1 has also a bad ending:

Shenmue 1
phpBB [video]

Shenmue 2
phpBB [video]

Gromber has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
Gromber

Postby King John Blaze » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Hey guys, I want to make a pledge to this game but can't see how on the Kickstarter website. Any ideas?
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III