Unreal Engine 4 and my concerns

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Unreal Engine 4 for Shenmue 3 (Total votes: 29)

Bad idea
No votes
Was not a bad idea
100%

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and my concerns

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:18 am

The solution certainly isn't resurrecting an engine from 1999 and trying to make it work in 2018/2019. That's where the post really goes off the rails. You won't hear me say a bad thing about Shenmue II, but I've got to be honest: the game was starting to look dated when it came out in the States on the Xbox. I say that as someone who considers it the greatest video game OF ALL TIME.

Sure, nostalgia/vintage stuff is charming, but it's time to move on. What you want would seal the game's fate as an obscure novelty before it even comes out.

mjq jazz bar has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Your Boy Leroy
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:29 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: The solution certainly isn't resurrecting an engine from 1999 and trying to make it work in 2018/2019. That's where the post really goes off the rails. You won't hear me say a bad thing about Shenmue II, but I've got to be honest: the game was starting to look dated when it came out in the States on the Xbox. I say that as someone who considers it the greatest video game OF ALL TIME.

Sure, nostalgia/vintage stuff is charming, but it's time to move on. What you want would seal the game's fate as an obscure novelty before it even comes out.

What? Shenmue II looked fantastic. It never looked "dated". Seriously, you consider it to be the greatest video game of all time and yet in the same sentence you say it was "starting to look dated"? Oh well it's your opinion, but I don't think it's true at all.

Shenmue_Legend has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 am

I don't consider graphics the most important part of a video game, so it doesn't really matter to me. It definitely started to look rough around the edges compared to new games of the day, but the aesthetic and art design of the game looked great. I just don't think the old engine is something that we should be clamoring for in 2018.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Shenmue's mechanics are pretty simple and straight-forward. The most intricate thing about it is the fighting system. NetherRealm have been using it for a while now though and the reception of their games has gone from strength to strength.

Now, is this indicative of the engine rather than the team behind it? Probably not. What it should show you though is that it's less to do with the tools and more to do with the person using them.

But FYI, UDK's a fantastic tool in and of itself. It's all down to YS Net or whatever they've called the development team.

As for the "Shenmue II doesn't look dated" thing, I agree with both sides of the argument. The models and texture resolutions do look dated, and were clearly the product of an inferior machine when it arrived on Xbox. The art direction however, along with how heavily populated the environments were with small details in many ways helped to circumnavigate that issue.

So yeah, you're both right on that, imo.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Spardahunter » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: The solution certainly isn't resurrecting an engine from 1999 and trying to make it work in 2018/2019. That's where the post really goes off the rails. You won't hear me say a bad thing about Shenmue II, but I've got to be honest: the game was starting to look dated when it came out in the States on the Xbox. I say that as someone who considers it the greatest video game OF ALL TIME.

What? Shenmue II looked fantastic. It never looked "dated". Seriously, you consider it to be the greatest video game of all time and yet in the same sentence you say it was "starting to look dated"? Oh well it's your opinion, but I don't think it's true at all.
well you cannot use that graphics and that combat system today,reviewer will slash in half the game,the aesthetic still look great but say that graphics quality is not outdated is just covering your eyes,was very detailed for 1998,but in terms of polycount,resolution ecc is not acceptable for today standard,if yu suzuki want to revive shenmue he cannot do a expansion of the first two(whit the old engine it will become a "60$ story expansion")shenmue franchise needs fame that it deserves
Spardahunter
Asia Travel Representative

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 am

You certainly can use those graphics just like Sonic Mania wasn't destroyed for trying to make a Saturn game... Graphics are more than polys.

Anyways, Shenmue III isn't based on the old engine so it's pretty much pointless debating how well the previous games hold up today. In my opinion a Shenmue II remaster would look ten times better than most modern open world games mostly because of architecture.

Regarding the 3D battle system, only Yakuza can rival with it, the "arkham system" is absolute shite.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:47 am

the shenmue 2 engine definitely wasn't dated upon north american release. in fact I think it still plays excellently. the best engine ever to this day. I mean look how little details are animated like walking on steps. not until gta 4 was released would we see anything like that and the elder scrolls to this day fail at this.

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby jasonorme666 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 pm

As a game developer with experience with UE4 your post makes absolutely no sense to me.
It's nothing more than a pointless ramble in an attempt to sound as if you have some sort of experience or knowledge of the game development process.

jasonorme666
Master of the Three Blades

Postby BigTuna » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:44 pm

What a fucking pointless post. The game is in great hands. Unreal is a fantastic engine. Just look at that list of games, man. You're not making any sense. Shenmue 3 will more than likely end up being the most beautiful experience yet. Have more faith in Yu and his team.

BigTuna has received 2 thanks from: VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby shredingskin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:50 pm

It's a no-brainer, they would have to rewrite everything, basically do a whole new engine. In benefit of what ??
The lighting solution of UE is solid as fuck, the workflow is great and very artist oriented, blueprints can get quite messy but it's still a nice system, matinee is great for making cutscenes.

Also if they really want to make a similar combat style they can look in the source of the real engine and translate the algorithms, but it's not what YS wants, and the comments he made is more akin to "we were used to have our hands in the dough", for the creative type is kinda a deal of authorship.

UE is as a solid engine as they come (and I'm not a fanboy of the engine).

Also, Shenmue aesthetic was ps2 type of deal, it will take a while to look at it with strong nostalgia or a style into itself, so it'll just look like a lowtech game, unlike a lot of indie games that are consciously looking back to create a retro aesthetic. Take for example that now we are just starting to look the vertex snapping and lowres textures of the psx era with some nostalgia and judging it apart from the technical aspect. We could say that Shenmue (and the whole ps2/xbox era) still in the same "trying to get realism" aesthetic that we are in, and now we start to look other ways to make games visually appealing.

shredingskin has received 2 thanks from: VukBZ2005, Your Boy Leroy
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:44 am

they even use the unreal 4 engine for the final fantasy 7 remake.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby SledgeNE » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 am

Shemue 3 looks great with UE4. It's an very interesting engine. Better than CryEngine. The Game is work in Progress and everything will be better to the next year.

We know that the UE4 is for free for everyone and the Engine will updated with newer versions in the further months. Means that that the Development Team must update their own Version for UE4 or is this a developers Version?

SledgeNE has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Spardahunter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:34 pm

SledgeNE wrote:Shemue 3 looks great with UE4. It's an very interesting engine. Better than CryEngine. The Game is work in Progress and everything will be better to the next year.

We know that the UE4 is for free for everyone and the Engine will updated with newer versions in the further months. Means that that the Development Team must update their own Version for UE4 or is this a developers Version?

Nope,to small indie team to AAA studio they all have the same UE version,i think that they don't change their version every update(epic update this engine a lot) but only if a major one eventually come

Spardahunter has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
Spardahunter

Postby Eliane » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:26 pm

I don't know if UE4 is a good or bad idea but so far I am not a big fan of what's the game look like... UE makes everything looks pumped up, like on steroids or something. But i'm confident it will get better with further development and the game will be great. At least, if the gameplay is good, i'll get over it. However, I must say, if there was one engine I would dream of to be used for Shenmue III; it would be FOX engine. MGSV just looks amazing, and the color palette, the lighting, the animation, it's all feels just so right. I know it's on a whole another level in term of budget development and a licence of such engine must be very pricey but one can still dream.
Eliane
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby RyanHazuki » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Dated now, yeah. Dated then, only kinda. You gotta consider the scale of that monster of an environment. There had to be balance and compromise. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing... I used to think Driver had good graphics. I went back to play that recently and I couldn't tell if it was a video game or a local TV station with a shit signal.

Anyway... get a powerful PC, download an older copy of Demul with dx11old plugin, tinker with the settings, and feel your eyes have an orgasm when you see Shenmue in HD. Cheers!
RyanHazuki

Currently playing: Skyrim

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III