Will You Be Nice To Shenhua?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Will You Be Nice To Shenhua?

Postby ShenSun » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:53 am

Now that we know Shenmue 3 will implement a rapport system, which i assume will be somewhat similar to Bioware and Telltale games, will you be nice to Shenhua? I assume the same question applies to Ren and other unknown characters.

I've always been a bit of a villain when playing mass effect and the walking dead games. I find it hilarious choosing the most abrupt responses in some situations and seeing how it affects your playthrough and character development. With Shenmue however, I cant see myself choosing the harsh options at all with Shenhua, at least on the first playthrough. In a way, I think its because ive grown up with the Shenmue cast since my teenage years and therefore will probably take them much more seriously than unknown NPCs from the other games on the market.

I will be a bit of a dick to Ren at times though. I'm sure he'll be doing the exact same thing to Ryo. :)

What will you guys do?
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Will You Be Nice To Shenhua?

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Why did they add a system like this in the first place? I don't like games with branching paths. I rather have the story go how it's supposed to happen and not be wondering something like "hmm, what would Ryo do?". And besides, why have something that would never have actually happened? We're meant to go through Ryo's journey so the choices shouldn't be dependent on the player. It doesn't suit Shenmue.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Jibby » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote: Why did they add a system like this in the first place? I don't like games with branching paths. I rather have the story go how it's supposed to happen and not be wondering something like "hmm, what would Ryo do?". And besides, why have something that would never have actually happened? We're meant to go through Ryo's journey so the choices shouldn't be dependent on the player. It doesn't suit Shenmue.

If I recall correctly, Yu said it won't massively affect the story, just the kind of interactions and dialogue you'll have with certain characters.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:31 pm

ShenSun wrote: Now that we know Shenmue 3 will implement a rapport system, which i assume will be somewhat similar to Bioware and Telltale games, will you be nice to Shenhua? I assume the same question applies to Ren and other unknown characters.

I've always been a bit of a villain when playing mass effect and the walking dead games. I find it hilarious choosing the most abrupt responses in some situations and seeing how it affects your playthrough and character development. With Shenmue however, I cant see myself choosing the harsh options at all with Shenhua, at least on the first playthrough. In a way, I think its because ive grown up with the Shenmue cast since my teenage years and therefore will probably take them much more seriously than unknown NPCs from the other games on the market.

I will be a bit of a dick to Ren at times though. I'm sure he'll be doing the exact same thing to Ryo. :)

What will you guys do?

Not sure but I think YS said there won't be different paths like Telltale games, but they will interact with you differently depending on actions.

More interactions akin to Nozomi's photo I suspect...
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby strider16 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:42 pm

I will probably play along the char, meaning that Ryo will be quite naive around guys and quite short of words around gals.
But I'm thinking for a while for these new systems... the rapport system may only trigger side events, since the main story cannot be much altered.

strider16 has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Portal Stories: Mel

Postby ShenSun » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:45 pm

Yeah, there wont be different paths, but from what i understand, the characters will interact with you differently.

If i've got that right, i think its a great system which will allow reruns to be more interesting.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:01 pm

I haven't thought about this system for quite some time. It's good you brought this up so people remember it.

It's going to be interesting to see how much it will affect the game. It definately gives a good chance to make each playthrough more unique. The whole conversation thing with Fangmei could be seen as a basis, just make it deeper and more meaningful. In a simple thought I just picture the Action Selector popping up a lot more.
I don't absolutely need this feature and I hope it doesn't have too much influence on the main story but I still think it's a welcome feature.

And how could anyone not be nice to Shenhua?

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:26 pm

As long as she has dinner ready on the table when I get home.

Riku Rose has received 4 thanks from: Elevensixty, OL, SickOctopus, Truck_1_0_1_
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Niowiad » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:37 pm

BlueMue wrote:And how could anyone not be nice to Shenhua?

Exactly what I was thinking... is that even a question?

Riku Rose wrote: As long as she has dinner ready on the table when I get home.

That's going to happen every time 60% of the time :see:

Niowiad has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shredingskin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:24 am

I just hope that they don't end up having stuff like this (I guess spoilers for FFXV):
phpBB [video]

He said he'll try to show "the differences between men and women", and be more like some sort of psychological test of sorts, though I think he'll back off because of the current climate we have, but stuff like the one I posted is just needless. The first time I just picked the only cool looking photo I had (and even picking the "right one" wasn't much better TBH).

But more recent comments he pointed to something similar to a dating sim, and that can go horribly wrong, specially since Shenhua is just a major character of the game that could lead very easily to ludonarrative dissonance and the prospect of a dating sim minigame is not worth the risk IMO.

Maybe the way to handle it is not datingsim like, but gameplay wise. Like when you respond to X question you can be combative, logical or risky, and taking into account your responses the game will choose Ryo, Shenhua or Ren to do X task.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:51 am

No. She's Nozomi 2.0 on the annoying scale. I'd probably push her off that prologue cliff if I could.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Xiuying is Ryo's one true love, so I ain't gonna romance Shenhua on the first playthrough or do anything that might miscontrue Ryo's opinion of her. Now, if Xiuying isn't in the game I will be very sad.

BTW why the hell are you comparing a rapport system to Telltale and Bioshock when there's already an example in the series in Shenmue II with Fangmei? You treat her like shit she gets upset and treats you like shit in return. You treat her with respect and she turns into a crazy creeper. Lose lose situation.

Shenmue_Legend wrote: Why did they add a system like this in the first place? I don't like games with branching paths. I rather have the story go how it's supposed to happen and not be wondering something like "hmm, what would Ryo do?". And besides, why have something that would never have actually happened? We're meant to go through Ryo's journey so the choices shouldn't be dependent on the player. It doesn't suit Shenmue.

I think this is pretty dumb. Especially if you take into account end game scenes
where Lan Di gets the mirror and Ryo dies
when you fail if you let too much time pass when playing the games. Those things also don't actually happen and are not canon so it's a bit dumb to be against having something that never actually happened.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ChiefNeo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Agree 100%. I love shenmue for the story. I want to play what it should be. Like...Damn it yu... The first game would not be the same if "Were you mean to Tom at the hot dog stand?" "does Goro like your Ryo?"... It just seems a bit like a loose approach to a tale. We shall see how it ends up but I hope it's minimal.

For those saying that's not a big deal, correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't a huge part of it to watch Ryo grow as a character? All the times he is obstinate, dumb, obsessive...those are supposed to reflect him, NOT ME. He sometimes reacts to people in Ryo ways...those would be lost with the choice.

I want to watch him grow as a character and to see what HIS final choices will be. I'm not saying the game will end with a choice...but IF it were to...I would be so frickin disappointed.

"Push A to kill Lan Di or B to spare"
ChiefNeo

Postby delvec19 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:12 pm

It will probably be similar to Fangmei's birthday event trigger in Shenmue II.
delvec19

Postby Calshot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:59 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: No. She's Nozomi 2.0 on the annoying scale. I'd probably push her off that prologue cliff if I could.

Calshot has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Next

Return to Shenmue III