Yu Suzuki: "I can make the whole game you imagined"

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki: "I can make the whole game you imagined"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:I've said this before and I'll say it again, I would rather have no conclusion at all than a half-baked one!

Then wait for the reviews and if it's half-baked, don't play it. :)

No chance. Shenmue 3, 4, 5 and whatever other future sequels will always be a day one buy for me. Like if I don't pre order it, I'd rush to the nearest store the second it's released and buy it. I didn't say I wouldn't play it if I knew Shenmue IV would be the last one and thus, would have a lackluster ending

:D
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Telekill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:37 pm

I'm pretty sure that the fans have proven themselves to be pretty damn patient considering that we're very excited for the continuation and helped fund it after waiting 15 years.

I could see Shenmue being rushed if they tried to end it with the third game. With the addition of a fourth... this team with Suzuki can make a brilliant ending to the series.

Here's what I don't want. I don't want to never have an ending because some jackass in a suit somewhere decided the series didn't put enough coin in his pocket... again. Let's face it... as special as Shenmue is to us... if Shenmue 3 doesn't turn into a million seller then that's exactly what's going to happen and we'll be stuck without an ending. Now is Shenmue's second chance and if it fails then you can expect no additional games in the series... ever.

Hell, Suzuki is getting pretty up there in age and I wouldn't be surprised if this run at Shenmue, be it just the third game or through a 4th and maybe 5th game, will be the ending to his career and that he'll retire. Here's hoping his career ends on a high note.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby adom11800 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:45 pm

^ I sure hope Yu Suzuki gets to finish his series before he dies. Shenmue is obviously a big part of his life.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:I've said this before and I'll say it again, I would rather have no conclusion at all than a half-baked one!

No chance. Shenmue 3, 4, 5 and whatever other future sequels will always be a day one buy for me. Like if I don't pre order it, I'd rush to the nearest store the second it's released and buy it. I didn't say I wouldn't play it if I knew Shenmue IV would be the last one and thus, would have a lackluster ending

So what exactly does that prove? Just because I would rather have "no conclusion", doesn't mean that I wouldn't play it.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Telekill wrote: I'm pretty sure that the fans have proven themselves to be pretty damn patient considering that we're very excited for the continuation and helped fund it after waiting 15 years.

I could see Shenmue being rushed if they tried to end it with the third game. With the addition of a fourth... this team with Suzuki can make a brilliant ending to the series.

Here's what I don't want. I don't want to never have an ending because some jackass in a suit somewhere decided the series didn't put enough coin in his pocket... again. Let's face it... as special as Shenmue is to us... if Shenmue 3 doesn't turn into a million seller then that's exactly what's going to happen and we'll be stuck without an ending. Now is Shenmue's second chance and if it fails then you can expect no additional games in the series... ever.

Hell, Suzuki is getting pretty up there in age and I wouldn't be surprised if this run at Shenmue, be it just the third game or through a 4th and maybe 5th game, will be the ending to his career and that he'll retire. Here's hoping his career ends on a high note.

The ending may be "brilliant" but the game will still have significantly less content and parts cut out that we would have seen in a Shenmue V, but not in IV simply because it's one game less so the length of the story would be obviously shorter.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Telekill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
The ending may be "brilliant" but the game will still have significantly less content and parts cut out that we would have seen in a Shenmue V, but not in IV simply because it's one game less so the length of the story would be obviously shorter.

Ok... obviously the hypothetical Shenmue IV and V are not guaranteed by any means. Would we all prefer if the planets aligned and we magically got both of those for a more complete story....? Definitely. All the fans would love to have the most fleshed out Shenmue story and experience possible. What I'm saying is that the odds of us getting to Shenmue V are slim to nill. It's all dependent on the success of Shenmue IV which is dependent on the success of Shenmue III. There are too many "if's" involved to assume that we'll be getting a fifth game.

That said... which would you actually prefer if it was known that we will only get 4 games?
1. A completed story done very well by the talented Suzuki and his team at YsNet.
2. A continuation of the story with no ending. You'll never get the ending at this point.

Telekill has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:10 pm

Telekill wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:

Ok... obviously the hypothetical Shenmue IV and V are not guaranteed by any means. Would we all prefer if the planets aligned and we magically got both of those for a more complete story....? Definitely. All the fans would love to have the most fleshed out Shenmue story and experience possible. What I'm saying is that the odds of us getting to Shenmue V are slim to nill. It's all dependent on the success of Shenmue IV which is dependent on the success of Shenmue III. There are too many "if's" involved to assume that we'll be getting a fifth game.

That said... which would you actually prefer if it was known that we will only get 4 games?
1. A completed story done very well by the talented Suzuki and his team at YsNet.
2. A continuation of the story with no ending. You'll never get the ending at this point.

You're assuming Shenmue IV will even happen. Based on PS4 & PC sales figures, in my personal sense, it's all or nothing.

Shenmue III is either going to be an investment success for the franchise or it isn't.

It either sells millions (similar to The Witcher 3, Life Is Strange, etc) and saves IV & V or it doesn't.

I don't think a Shenmue IV Kicktarter will cut it, even for a saga cut short.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Telekill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:47 pm

ShenmueLegacy wrote:You're assuming Shenmue IV will even happen. Based on PS4 & PC sales figures, in my personal sense, it's all or nothing.

I am tending to agree. My assumption is actually a hope. Yu Suzuki has already told fans that the story will not end with the third game. Thus, my hope is that there is a fourth due to the success of the third game. The problem here is that the public is fickle. I could see Shenmue 3 doing well enough to warrant a 4th game because people may potentially buy the third game just to see what the series is all about. The magic of the series may not take hold on many of today's gamers that never experienced Shenmue when it was a top of the line, AAA game. A high percentage of gamers are just wanting fast paced, action shooting which is not what Shenmue even comes close to resembling.

My fear is that if Yu Suzuki is given the green light by Sega and Deep Silver to make a fourth game... if he decides to try his luck ("play lucky hit") at a fifth game by extending the story that his luck may and will more than likely run out. If the fourth game doesn't sell as well as the third may or may not... then we'll once again be stuck in the middle of Shenmue's story without completing the story. I personally would rather they cut back on a few things like they already have and complete the story.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:31 am

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

So what exactly does that prove? Just because I would rather have "no conclusion", doesn't mean that I wouldn't play it.

It literally does. If you choose to play the "half-baked" conclusion, then you clearly wouldn't prefer no conclusion, because that is the option you'll have turned down.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

It literally does. If you choose to play the "half-baked" conclusion, then you clearly wouldn't prefer no conclusion, because that is the option you'll have turned down.

Umm, I still fail to see how it does. Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a debate of Me: "I wanna play it!", You: "No you don't wanna play it!". I will now kindly make my exit!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:43 am

Nothing in life is guaranteed but we will only get Shenmue IV if we get Shenmue III first.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Telekill » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:01 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Nothing in life is guaranteed but we will only get Shenmue IV if we get Shenmue III first.

That is a given.

Luckily... Shenmue 3 is finally confirmed to be in development.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:54 pm

I'm pretty sure the resources from the production on Shenmue III, and the fact that IV wouldn't face any obligation to radically improve in scope and graphics unlike big franchises like Uncharted or GTA, makes the future of the series as an indie title pretty safe.

if the fanbase loves the game, they'll fund the next one. it just might not max out all the stretch goals if Deep Silver bails. but those stretch goals should be easier since the game's resources and underlying gameplay are ready to go.

that was the point of Shenmue I having a budget of 70 million as well- it was an initial investment in 5 flagship games, which was in turn an investment in selling consoles through exclusivity.

in this case they aren't building an engine from scratch and having to struggle to get it to run properly on underpowered hardware- but they do have a whole series of gameplay mechanics, textures, lighting, character models, physics configurations, QTE's etc that absolutely would carry over to the sequels, reducing the required budget to get them made.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 am

Shenmue wasn't a flop, Shenmue II was, because of Xbox exclusivity. Microsoft basically killed Shenmue when they made Sega cancel the North American Dreamcast release, although because of the console's discontinuation and launch of PS2, a worldwide Dreamcast release probably would've sold about as much as the Xbox and EU Dreamcast sales combined, which is about 500,000. However, the only sales figures that were consideredin the end were the 320,000 sold on Xbox, which makes it look like a total flop.

If it had been released on the PS2 or Gamecube however, especially if bundled with the first game, it would've sold 1 million at least.

Sega made the mistake of going with Microsoft instead of Sony, and Microsoft made the mistake of being shitty at publishing software exclusives unlike Sony and Nintendo.

Now that being said, the teaser trailer and the character models have alienated most mainstream gamers that don't care enough about Shenmue to follow it. I've seen a lot of people say it looks shitty, and with those character models lacking facial animation it's going to be hard to change those perceptions. it doesn't matter what the reasons are and how we know that it's a work in progress, etc. that teaser shouldn't have been released except on kickstarter for the backers.

the good news is, people that like indie games will like Shenmue III, and i'm confident that once the game properly takes shape it will attract new fans from that demographic.

and that's a different market from people who say they'd rather play Yakuza instead because it looks like "a way better Japanese culture fix" which is literally what I saw someone say in reaction to that teaser trailer.

shenmue852 has received a thanks from: Valascaziel
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:12 am

You'd be surprised just how powerful nostalgia is in the gaming sector these days.

Mainstream folks will never buy into things like Shenmue, but let's go back to Nier. The original was very niche, especially compared to most. The sequel has, thus far, sold gangbusters.

Not everybody that loves Shenmue is a member here or otherwise. When I see a WIP trailer that, despite it's issues has over 700,000 views...that shows an interest far beyond what we could see. If Sony keeps word on marketing, Yu keeps his word on a much more immersive game with a true trailer that looks great, I see big things for this franchise.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III