Ryo's Accessories

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Ryo's Accessories

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:27 pm

I would like to see a crafting system. Put him to work again, but this time for things like shelter or food. Ryo should eat.
RyanHazuki
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:30 pm

shenmue852 wrote:
RyanHazuki wrote: Cool. That covers that part. Things may also still change. I still wonder how he'll keep time. It kinda depends on whether Timex will be involved or not, but it wouldn't be great advertising for them to use a watch from so long ago.

actually it would be great advertising for them, just as it was when the original games were released.

if anything it would work better now, because vintage 80s and 90s products are really popular because of nostalgia. so brands that have vintage products benefit from their placement.

also, the actual watch in the game never existed but it was based on an 80s Timex. I'm pretty sure Timex will be on board this time. If they're not, it isn't going to ruin the game. But I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't license their brand again.

You are talking Ryo's watch to the wrong person. Check my post here...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51089

It was very much based off of a real watch from 1999.
RyanHazuki

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 pm

RyanHazuki wrote: I'm aware. But Ryo bringing things that have no place in rural China could very well be a thing. It's a video game... realism is considered, but not rigidly adhered to. Haven't you played the games?! Ha.

how do you know so much about the games if you haven't played them anyway?

and in terms of period setting, realism is totally adhered to. you may as well be asking why there isn't a Tomato Convenience Store there either because convenience stores existed in the 80s so why shouldn't there be one in Shenhua's village?

I would like to see a crafting system. Put him to work again, but this time for things like shelter or food. Ryo should eat.

now you're onto something! as long as there isn't a meter that runs out if you don't eat like The Sims, then i'm totally on board. during the story there should certainly be times where Ryo has to work for food and shelter.

You are talking Ryo's watch to the wrong person. Check my post here...

have you really never played the game? why are you this much of a fan??
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:50 pm

shenmue852 wrote:and in terms of period setting, realism is totally adhered to. you may as well be asking why there isn't a Tomato Convenience Store there either because convenience stores existed in the 80s so why shouldn't there be one in Shenhua's village?

Nope.

shenmue852 wrote:
RyanHazuki wrote:You are talking Ryo's watch to the wrong person. Check my post here...

have you really never played the game? why are you this much of a fan??

What?!
RyanHazuki

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:54 pm

nevermind, misread your post.

hadn't realized there weren't any watches that looked like the T43371 in the 80s. i kind of assumed the T43371 was a vintage style watch when it came out.

although i guess analog watches hadn't radically changed all that much between 87-99. there's nothing that breaks the period setting or the location. the sega saturn only plays 80s games, for example. and you don't have american sailors walking around the harbor in hong kong, because unlike yokosuka harbor, aberdeen wasn't filled with Americans because there wasn't an American naval base. so for those reasons, a cellphone and pager wouldn't work in Shenmue III. they break the period setting and location.

anyway do you know if Naoyuki's bike was based on an actual model like Joy's was?
Last edited by shenmue852 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:59 pm

shenmue852 wrote: nevermind, misread your post.

hadn't realized there weren't any watches that looked like the T43371 in the 80s. i kind of assumed the T43371 was a vintage style watch when it came out.

although i guess analog watches hadn't radically changed all that much between 87-99.

It was a very simplistic watch. I'm not sure why they even call these watches "Expedition" as they are pretty easy to ruin. The crystal scratches easy and the submersible integrity is questionable at best as I've totally ruined one by briefly wetting it in a hot tub. To whoever wants one, just sit it with your collection.
RyanHazuki

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:01 pm

anyway do you know if Naoyuki's bike was based on an actual model like Joy's was?
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 pm

shenmue852 wrote: anyway do you know if Naoyuki's bike was based on an actual model like Joy's was?

I'm into sports bikes, so I'm not as well-versed in cruiser bikes. It resembles the 1986-ish Yamaha XJ700 Maxim to me.

RyanHazuki has received a thanks from: shenmue852
RyanHazuki

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 pm

RyanHazuki wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: The instances you've mentioned are more product placement/easter eggs that don't really detract from the game. The phone would do. Dramatically. It'd also render the "phone card" thing pointless.

The product placement idea doesn't pertain to Joy's bike. The Honda brand was not promoted in the game. Only a motorcycle enthusiast would be able to identify that bike. Yu is a huge motorcycle enthusiast, so I understand including such a great bike from the era of the game's production.

And as for the phone, I didn't say it would be a good idea. Dumber things have been added to games. Pagers were very popular in the 80's... would you be sour if that was a part of the game?

So of it's not product placement and it's something only a handful of people who play it would notice, then it's... an easter egg! :shock:

In response to the phone thing, all I said was that it'd render the phone card thing pointless. IE it won't happen because of that. Nothing sour about my comment whatsoever, just explaining why the idea of Ryo having a phone isn't a well thought out one.

Though if it ends up happening I'll print out a screenshot of this response and record myself eating it for your own amusement.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby RyanHazuki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
RyanHazuki wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: The instances you've mentioned are more product placement/easter eggs that don't really detract from the game. The phone would do. Dramatically. It'd also render the "phone card" thing pointless.

The product placement idea doesn't pertain to Joy's bike. The Honda brand was not promoted in the game. Only a motorcycle enthusiast would be able to identify that bike. Yu is a huge motorcycle enthusiast, so I understand including such a great bike from the era of the game's production.

And as for the phone, I didn't say it would be a good idea. Dumber things have been added to games. Pagers were very popular in the 80's... would you be sour if that was a part of the game?

So of it's not product placement and it's something only a handful of people who play it would notice, then it's... an easter egg! :shock:

In response to the phone thing, all I said was that it'd render the phone card thing pointless. IE it won't happen because of that. Nothing sour about my comment whatsoever, just explaining why the idea of Ryo having a phone isn't a well thought out one.

Though if it ends up happening I'll print out a screenshot of this response and record myself eating it for your own amusement.

Alright.
RyanHazuki

Previous

Return to Shenmue III