Militia Marketing/Ensuring Success

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Militia Marketing/Ensuring Success

Postby KidMarine » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:43 am

One of us is going to have to kill someone and say Shenmue made you do it.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:47 am

KidMarine wrote: One of us is going to have to kill someone and say Shenmue made you do it.

One, two, three. Not it.

Naw, but seriously. Do they have PS4 in prison?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:34 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote:
KidMarine wrote: One of us is going to have to kill someone and say Shenmue made you do it.

One, two, three. Not it.

Naw, but seriously. Do they have PS4 in prison?

Generally not due to the wifi capabilities.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Telekill » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:42 am

Maybe I'm thinking too small but I'm one person. The best I can offer aside from already donating $113 for my copy is to let friends of family that I know could be swayed into buying the game... do so. I'll be posting about the series on the forums I visit regularly. Lastly, for the friends and family on the fence about the game, I'll probably end up getting Shenmue 3 as a Christmas or birthday gift for them to try out. That way it's another sale for the series to help boost Shenmue 4 and a potential extra sale for that game.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 am

Personally I reckon the best thing to use is social media. I always had huge doubts about the "tweetathon" and wrote it off, but lo and behold it fucking worked. Screenshots of visuals, using non-Shenmue hash tags, sharing clips n beauty shots on PSN (and Xbox Live if it ends up on there) can be enough to stoke interest.

There's been a few occasions where I've gone out of my way to get a game solely because of shit like this. One that sticks out in particular is Papers, Please. A simple tweet from an old college mate saying that it's one of the most oddly engaging experiences he had playing a game saw me play it every day for a week. I didn't end up buying it coz I was skint at the time, but that's not gonna be true of everyone.

I'm sure as well that a few on here will have mates that only really dabble in games and will buy based off your recommendations. Focus on them and emphasise the fact it isn't a JRPG. People don't really have time for that. Speaking of, let them know it's a game that they can play at their own pace, much like Skyrim or GTA.

I guess what it boils down to is focusing less on the aspects that made you fall in love with the series and more on what they look for in a game. Simple shit like "yeah, it feels proper like a film but you do it moment to moment like in 24", "it's coz these proper mint action sequences", "it's open world, there's no guns, but the fighting's like proper martial arts shit n the combos aren't stupidly long", "it's set in the 80's man!" Things like that.

While buying multiple copies can generate high sales figures, companies aren't stupid. They can tell the demand for something by the sheer volume of people talking about it. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc have made this much easier to track, so the more "legitimate" noise it makes the better. I have a feeling that multiple purchases could be detrimental in some way or another. All it takes is one journalist to catch wind of it and write an article on it.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:50 am

Perhaps, we can fund billboards, "Have you see any Sailors? Call 1-800-Shen-mue" that turns into a real life promotional Shenmue-esque mystery?

or perhaps, we try to get a Shenmue III trailer in theaters around the world?

"A sequel nearly 20 years in the making..." may spark some interest in the mainstream alone.

We can even promote a backer-created puzzle in Shenmue III that the first solvers win a prize for?

I don't know. We have to try something.

ShenmueLegacy has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:20 pm

I really like the in-game puzzle idea, using guestbook entries or whatever. Maybe there'll be more information in the surveys about how those features will work, which will help in the structuring of it.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Centrale wrote: I don't really see it as a viable strategy for hardcore Shenmue fans to commit to buying multiple copies of SIII. If that's what you want to do, that's cool, but the game will have to be a success on its own for the series to continue moving forward. It now seems to be in the best possible position to be a fully-realized, high-quality game, so in my eyes that's what's going to give it the best shot at commercial success.

I think they didn't mean to say that all the hardcore fans buying multiple copies was going to be enough. But it could be one element of S3's success. I do think it will help, tbh. Every copy sold counts.

However, that alone won't do, so I'll be willing to participate in any group activity by the Shenmue community to boos sales. Personally, I'd buy multiple copies of S3 even if we could be sure the game will have GTA level of success. I just want them for my Shenmue collection.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Elevensixty » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:12 am

When big name YouTubers play something or even talk about it, it greatly helps that game. This is one of the most powerful sources of advertising games can get today.
Are Pewdiepie, Jack Septiceye, Markiplier, Cinnamon toast Ken, Ben Woto etc planning to be playing Shenmue between now and the launch of Shenmue 3? No.
Do they listen to fans requests? They really do- sometimes a fan (read: sponsor, someone who donates) suggests a game on stream chat, and they will respond- "yeah I'll check it out" or "nah I've seen it, I'm not interested"- but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Memes and trends good and bad get rolling on these channels.
Channels like Happy Console Gamer bring good press to Shenmue, but largely to a follower base that's already Shenmue fans and backers.
Even if 10 - 20 Shenmue fans requested, if it were done right, might get a response.

Not a whole play through but some comments on the Sega holdup, the Kickstarter success, the hardcore fans, SAILOR JOKES...
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Polybius

Previous

Return to Shenmue III