Yu Suzuki talks about Shenmue 3 and memories

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki talks about Shenmue 3 and memories

Postby Tosh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Here is my translation of that Yu interview in the German magazine.
I didn't translate everything because some of the questions are just about Yu's hobbies etc.
I'm not a native english speaker, i tried my best.

Question 1 to Yu:
You said that Shenmue 3 will be bigger than you thought at first?

Yu's answer:
Yes, the game will probably be three times as big as i had in mind at the beginning. One of the villages has over 200 residents now instead of just 50. This village alone is five times bigger than i had in mind.

Question 2 to Yu:
But still - Shenmue 3 has not the same budget as 1 or 2. What do you have to change in the game because of that?

Yu's answer:
The story is still intact but i had to adjust some of the extra elements and details. We talked about the 200 people in that village - maybe we will even have 400 in the end, i didn't decide yet. You have to remember that all the city / village residents in 1 & 2 had a "real" simulated life, thats a really complicated and tough quest and the budget for Shenmue 3 is probably not big enough to do that again.

Question 3 to Yu:
Will there be voices and sound for everything in the game?

Yu's answer:
We don't know yet. To tell the truth - the amount of text is getting bigger and bigger and not all of it is planned, so we don't know if all of it will be available with sound.

Question 4 to Yu:
Will you use the voice actors from 1 & 2?

Yu's answer:
Ryo's english and japanese voice will be the same in Shenmue 3. I can't tell you anything about the other people yet.

Question 5 to Yu:
Shenmue 3 will be only available on PS4 and PC, why is that?

Yu's answer:
That's simple - it's just because of our partnership with Sony and their support at the E3 2015.

Question 6 to Yu:
Did you ever thought about how you could tell the story without a real Shenmue 3?

Yu's answer:
Yes, i thought about a mobile game before.

Question 7 to Yu:
There were a lot of critical responses for the Shenmue 3 teaser. What would you tell the people who feel dissappointed?

Yu's answer:
We don't have any facial expressions in the game right now and none of the character models are final yet. So it will look different and better in the final game. The teaser is not representing the quality of the final game, we are still in the middle of developing. And of course you have to remember the budget. The budget is good enough for our game, but its pretty small if you compare it to other games right now. We can't keep up with big modern games. We would need a way bigger budget (ten times bigger than now) to make perfect modern graphics. So we need to find a good middle way between good graphics and good content. Please don't expect highend graphics, Shenmue 3 is not about that.

Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Tosh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:35 pm

Edit - the translation of the additional info box in that magazine:

Shenmue 3 will turn out bigger because of the partnership with Deep Silver.
The shown teaser was just released because they wanted to celebrate that partnership.
(they had the teaser ready before that, but couldnt decide if they should release it or not)

Shenmue 3 starts with chapter 6 but Shenmue 3 is not the end of the Shenmue story.
The original Shenmue story was planned for four or five games in total,
it would be too much story content for Shenmue 3.
There will be flashbacks in Shenmue 3, so that everyone understands whats going on.
Shenmue 3 will not have any online options and the fighting will be easier (adjusted to match modern games)

Tosh has received 5 thanks from: Chaikilla, Hazuki00, Let's Get Sweaty, ShenGCH, SledgeNE
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby punkmanced » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Tosh wrote:
The budget is good enough for our game, but its pretty small if you compare it to other games right now. We can't keep up with big modern games. We would need a way bigger budget (ten times bigger than now) to make perfect modern graphics.

$6.8 million (rounded to 7) x 10 =
...$70 Million

Some things never change :rotflmao:
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Telekill » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:01 am

Every interview always has an extra nugget of info. I've read probably a dozen different interviews since the trailer reveal and there have been so many little things that have been revealed. Everyone asks slightly different questions which is great for those of us trying to glean so much info.

Thanks for posting and translating guys.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:12 am

I'll try to pick up a copy of the Playstation Official Magazine UK over the next few days and post the article/interview.

Sonoshee has received 3 thanks from: ShenGCH, SledgeNE, Switch
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:14 am

Everything sounds really good from the interview, however this part...

"
You have to remember that all the city / village residents in 1 & 2 had a "real" simulated life, thats a really complicated and tough quest and the budget for Shenmue 3 is probably not big enough to do that again.

Question 3 to Yu:
Will there be voices and sound for everything in the game?

Yu's answer:
We don't know yet. To tell the truth - the amount of text is getting bigger and bigger and not all of it is planned, so we don't know if all of it will be available with sound.
"
It will be very rare seeing a lot of NPCs in the villages but few of them doings their rutines or none of them, standing in their positions. Will they be there at night too?

Another thing is voices, Will Ryo ask a question to a NPC and this one would not speak and only a text will be displayed?
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby johnvivant » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:56 am

Suzuki is keeping peoples expectations realistic. I'm confident that he is still aiming for full voice acting and full NPC schedules, but he doesn't want to over-promise anything. very intelligent IMO, especially in contrast to other kickstarter projects which grossly over promise and end up disappointing.

johnvivant has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, VukBZ2005
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Ok, I must admit some of the stuff he's said here has me worried. I thought the partnership with Deep Silver meant that they had all the money that they needed but unfortunately, it seems like they still need a lot more in order for Shenmue III to be at its peak. Come on, somebody needs to give Suzuki-san anything he needs. It'll be very sad if after Shenmue III is released, I'll be wondering how amazing it could have been with a full budget. Especially since it seems like some things are going to be affected quite a lot. E.g. The graphics are not going to be top notch(I don't care about graphics much but maybe this is why the character models are off), it may not be fully voiced and that npcs won't have the incredibly detailed life cycle system that they had in the previous installments.

Also, I don't like the fact that they want to make the gameplay simpler just because that's what modern games are doing. This is a big no, no, no for me because that is one of the biggest problems with games today. They cater too much to casuals and so the depth and complexity is not at its peak. I thought Yu-san wasn't influenced by modern media? I remember reading something about him saying that he "doesn't play any games or watch movies" or something like that because of this. If anything, why doesn't he add on from the combat of Shenmue and Shenmue II by making it even more deep and complex. Like real martial arts, there should be a lot of depth and "art" to it. You don't go to a dojo or something and expect the sensei to turn you into a black belt by removing a lot of the intricacies of the art thus giving you a false sense of security. Long post I know, but I had to get it off my chest!

Shenmue_Legend has received a thanks from: Chaikilla
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Chaikilla » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote: Ok, I must admit some of the stuff he's said here has me worried. I thought the partnership with Deep Silver meant that they had all the money that they needed but unfortunately, it seems like they still need a lot more in order for Shenmue III to be at its peak. Come on, somebody needs to give Suzuki-san anything he needs. It'll be very sad if after Shenmue III is released, I'll be wondering how amazing it could have been with a full budget. Especially since it seems like some things are going to be affected quite a lot. E.g. The graphics are not going to be top notch(I don't care about graphics much but maybe this is why the character models are off), it may not be fully voiced and that npcs won't have the incredibly detailed life cycle system that they had in the previous installments.

Also, I don't like the fact that they want to make the gameplay simpler just because that's what modern games are doing. This is a big no, no, no for me because that is one of the biggest problems with games today. They cater too much to casuals and so the depth and complexity is not at its peak. I thought Yu-san wasn't influenced by modern media? I remember reading something about him saying that he "doesn't play any games or watch movies" or something like that because of this. If anything, why doesn't he add on from the combat of Shenmue and Shenmue II by making it even more deep and complex. Like real martial arts, there should be a lot of depth and "art" to it. You don't go to a dojo or something and expect the sensei to turn you into a black belt by removing a lot of the intricacies of the art thus giving you a false sense of security. Long post I know, but I had to get it off my chest!

My main concerns are centred around the fighting system, also. In fact, you've echoed a lot of my concerns in your post.

The memory system allowing us to play through flashbacks is something I've always imagined since I heard about the character perspective system. Maybe that's because I have the agenda of wanting to play through the boat chapter and I think the reintroduction of Chai could be the perfect chance to trigger such a moment happening. :mrgreen:
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:58 pm

The fact that Suzuki decided to invest his new funds in expanding the Shenmue's world rather than insuring the dubbing is interesting... and quite surprising. I suppose that the initial game was planned to be very, very tiny and that full dubbing was actually a stretch goal.

I remember reading something about him saying that he "doesn't play any games or watch movies"

Suzuki said he watched 800 movies in the last years, from Spiderman trilogy to Juzo Itami's movies.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 am

Here is the 2 page article from November's issue of Playstation Official Magazine UK.

Sonoshee has received 7 thanks from: KidMarine, Kiske, Marcelinho, Niowiad, ShenGCH, SledgeNE, Switch
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:02 am

Much appreciated :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:31 am

Yokosuka wrote: The fact that Suzuki decided to invest his new funds in expanding the Shenmue's world rather than insuring the dubbing is interesting... and quite surprising. I suppose that the initial game was planned to be very, very tiny and that full dubbing was actually a stretch goal.

I remember reading something about him saying that he "doesn't play any games or watch movies"

Suzuki said he watched 800 movies in the last years, from Spiderman trilogy to Juzo Itami's movies.

Wow, that's a lot of movies! It seems like I was wrong about the movies part, but what about him not playing any games? Is that true at the very least?!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:30 am

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: The fact that Suzuki decided to invest his new funds in expanding the Shenmue's world rather than insuring the dubbing is interesting... and quite surprising. I suppose that the initial game was planned to be very, very tiny and that full dubbing was actually a stretch goal.

Wow, that's a lot of movies! It seems like I was wrong about the movies part, but what about him not playing any games? Is that true at the very least?!

Yu never plays video games, even his own. He made this very clear in one or two of his past interviews.
He claimed that by not playing them, he is not influenced by them and as such can bring something original & unique to his own works.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks for the OPM interview scans, Sono!

Granted it's not a translation bad joke or a misunderstanding due to the "language barrier", this part is really intriguing.

"We considered offering the first two games along with Shenmue III, and it may still happen," says Suzuki-san. "But we thought it would be more fun to include that content as memories, so when you play the new game you get memories of old stories or some other content from Shenmue I and II. For example, if you're walking in the village and there's an older guy telling you what happened in the previous games, so it's totally incorporated into the game."

As weird as it sounds (mainly because YsNet doesn't own Shenmue 1 & 2) can you imagine the first two games being embedded within Shenmue 3?

Let's say Ryo and Shenhua get out of the cave and are heading towards Bailu village. Just before crossing the river bridge, Ryo stops and looks at birds flying in the sky. Shenhua asks him what is happening and Ryo answers "Nothing. I wonder where those birds come from and where they are flying. This reminds me how far from the day my father died I am now." The camera zooms in towards the flying birds and a text box appears with three options:
"Relive that day" - "Watch memories from that day" - "Skip".

Wouldn't this be awesome and would you replay the whole journey from November 29, 1986? :king:

Kiske has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III