Yu Suzuki talks about Shenmue 3 and memories

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Yu Suzuki talks about Shenmue 3 and memories

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Succinct but interesting interview with Yu Suzuki by PlayStation Official Magazine UK (November 2017 issue)

- Shenmue 1 & 2 might be offered along with Shenmue 3. It seemed a no-brainer before Yu Suzuki thinks he should rather incorporate memories straight into the game.

- The Shenmue 1 & 2 memories you will get in Shenmue 3 might be playable but Suzuki remains "undecided".

- Yu Suzuki claims that memories are very well incorporated in the game and gives the example of a NPC guy able to tell you what happened before.

- In order to make the combat system simpler and visually different from Shenmue I & II, YSnet will use "Variable Speed". Suzuki did not give specific details.

- He emphasizes that the world of Shenmue III will be designed as a whole, rather than a sum of parts.

- Yu Suzuki gives few words on his position towards realism and VR in Shenmue III.

Read the issue for further details.

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Yu Suzuki talks about Shenmue 3 and memories

Postby punkmanced » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
- Shenmue 1 & 2 might be offered along with Shenmue 3. It seemed a no-brainer before Yu Suzuki thinks he should rather incorporate memories straight into the game.

Interesting but confusing. Could you please provide a direct transcription and/or quote?
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 pm

In this case, here the quote:

"We considered offering the first two games along with Shenmue III, and it still may happen" "But we thought it would be more fun to include that content as memories, so when you play the new game you get memories of old stories or some other content from Shenmue I and II."

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby punkmanced » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Wow!
They’re actually considering bundling the first 2 games with part 3!
That’s…really surprising :shock:

In any case, that “memories” feature seems really cool.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:05 am

I would take that quote with a considerable pinch of salt, considering it was likely given at the same time as many other interviews in which he was prompting fans to ask Sega for Shenmue 1 & 2.

We must remember that not all journalists at Gamescom had their own Switch waiting in the wings to translate recordings of Yu's exact words.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: Kiske, Switch, VukBZ2005
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby SledgeNE » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 am

http://www.imagebam.com/image/077b49610731693

Okay, i don't know how to upload pictures here. This is a photo from an Interview in the current "M! Games" Magazine. It's interesting, about the plaster of Ryo.

SledgeNE has received a thanks from: KidMarine
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:22 am

SledgeNE wrote: http://www.imagebam.com/image/077b49610731693

Okay, i don't know how to upload pictures here. This is a photo from an Interview in the current "M! Games" Magazine. It's interesting, about the plaster of Ryo.

Could you possibly translate some of the interesting details of the interview, please? Your picture makes the text unreadable.

By the way: to add a picture to a post, all you need to do is put the link between (img)[link](/img) tags using square brackets instead of curves. Like so:

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:05 am

Yokosuka wrote: Succinct but interesting interview with Yu Suzuki by PlayStation Official Magazine UK (November 2017 issue)

- He emphasizes that the world of Shenmue III will be designed as a whole, rather than a sum of parts.

To me, this is by far the most interesting bit of the interview!

Does this mean Ryo will be able to actually travel from one town to another?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:06 am

Yokosuka wrote: Succinct but interesting interview with Yu Suzuki by PlayStation Official Magazine UK (November 2017 issue)

- The Shenmue 1 & 2 memories you will get in Shenmue 3 might be playable but Suzuki remains "undecided".

Read the issue for further details.

Interesting but a bit confusing interview, If I'm not wrong Shenmue 1 & 2 rights belong to Sega and Suzuki can't do anything about it, so I don't know how it's possible for Suzuki to include them along with Shenmue 3.

Interesting thing that memories could be playable, that means that they have to remake some parts of Shenmue 1 & 2 with Unreal engine 4, Will Nokon Kid be in charge of this part?

" the world of Shenmue III will be designed as a whole, rather than a sum of parts." Does this mean that you could go from the begin to the end freely? :?:
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:39 am

Kiske wrote:Does this mean Ryo will be able to actually travel from one town to another?

Hazuki00 wrote:" the world of Shenmue III will be designed as a whole, rather than a sum of parts." Does this mean that you could go from the begin to the end freely? :?:

If I had to guess, I would say that Yu Suzuki is referring to the systemic structure of the game world, and how it functions as a single organism/ecosystem, rather than a few pieces of land loosely joined together like an incomplete jigsaw puzzle, as opposed to being quite so literal.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:24 am

ShenGCH wrote:
Kiske wrote:Does this mean Ryo will be able to actually travel from one town to another?

Hazuki00 wrote:" the world of Shenmue III will be designed as a whole, rather than a sum of parts." Does this mean that you could go from the begin to the end freely? :?:

If I had to guess, I would say that Yu Suzuki is referring to the systemic structure of the game world, and how it functions as a single organism/ecosystem, rather than a few pieces of land loosely joined together like an incomplete jigsaw puzzle, as opposed to being quite so literal.

So what does that mean in simple terms? :mrgreen:

Didn't Yokosuka's Shenmue function like this already?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby SledgeNE » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:51 am

Okay, 2nd try ;-)

Page 1 of the Interview

Page 2

A little bit messy, but i hope you can see it more clearly. :D

To the Question with the plaster

Ryo wears a patch in his face, while Lan Di a scar - is that intentional or random?

I wanted to make a good distinction between the two. *laughs* This is the reason why. People are always asking me, when Ryos would finally heal the wound. At some point it has to be that far. *laughs*
Last edited by SledgeNE on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

SledgeNE has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 am

I would hope Shenmue 1 and 2 would be released a good bit before Shenmue 3. Nobody is going to want to jump into a 17-year-old game the same day a modern game is released.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Kiske wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

So what does that mean in simple terms? :mrgreen:

Didn't Yokosuka's Shenmue function like this already?

That's a good question. It's not the first time Suzuki wanted to put forward the organic aspect of the Shenmue 3 world.

The only moment I had the feeling of things being out of place in Shenmue games, was in the Moon Orphanage where you could see Hang On and Space Harrier arcade machines lazily put down in a backroom. But overall, I never had complains.

Did Yu talk about a specific design process rather than the result itself?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:38 pm

In other interviews at Gamescom he raised the matter of minigames/distractions in Shenmue 1 & 2 feeling disconnected from the rest of the game, so in Shenmue 3 he wants to tie everything together to give such elements more relevance and make them feel part of the same, interconnected world. This may be what he was referring to in this one too.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Kiske
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Next

Return to Shenmue III